PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Post-Game: Patriots vs. New Orleans

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll defer to Hawg but here are my impressions. There is more potential talent on this line than ever before.

They miss Vollmer. Period. Draft another big LOT in the First round, and groom him at ROT.

Canon is not as bad as some people want to paint him, but he is a backup RT. and #4.

Cam Fleming and the TE? combined to open that enormous hole for Gaffney. They took out the RDE and ROLB together.

Thuney is a starter already and with Solder that half of the line construction is fini.

RG is currently an open question because Cooper is not there to claim it.

I like Shaq Mason. He was critical contributor on every long gainer. and I thought he was OK in pass blocking. Including White's long screen pass where he threw a key kick-out block. BTW so did Aaron Dobson.

Karras is a hardass and could be one of those lunch pail heros over time.

Kline tries but it isn't enough. Halapio is invisible. So were the other tackle scrubs.

Onto the QBs, Many fans here have the infamous Murkowski virus. Recall He looked much better than Casell in 2008, and even the ignorant analyst/writers were on his bandwagon. BB cut him, kept Cassell and he was never heard from again. Brisset is 3 years away at least and would go 0-4 if called on. Meanwhile Polo was playing QB,with poor Running game; no INTs, no TDs and 65% completions rate and 9.33 yards per attempt and 15.27 yards per completion. Brisett was playing chuck at first read, open or not and not QB.

Good analysis, AZ. One area where I disagree is your assessment of Josh Kline. I think his experience and versatility allow him to make the team. As a matter of fact, I believe that he's currently the "1b" option at RG behind Shaq Mason. The potential of Cooper could change that, but with Jackson hurt as well, it may open up another spot or two. I see Kline as a swing interior lineman who will likely see rotational reps, but could certainly start in a pinch. He looked pretty good at times in the first half of the season last year until becoming injured.

Good analysis, AZ. One area where I disagree is your assessment of Josh Kline. I think his experience and versatility allow him to make the team. As a matter of fact, I believe that he's currently the "1b" option at RG behind Shaq Mason. The potential of Cooper could change that, but with Jackson hurt as well, it may open up another spot or two. I see Kline as a swing interior lineman who will likely see rotational reps, but could certainly start in a pinch. He looked pretty good at times in the first half of the season last year until becoming injured.

PICK FIVE
------------
THUNEY
MASON
ANDREWS
KLINE
COOPER
JACKSON
STORK
KARRAS

Kline seems likely to be on the 53, with Jackson cut or on IR.

PICK FIVE
------------
THUNEY
MASON
ANDREWS
KLINE
COOPER
JACKSON
STORK
KARRAS

Kline seems likely to be on the 53, with Jackson cut or on IR.

Yes, I wish the outside tackle spots had this kind of competition, at least starting with the 3rd spot.

I see Karras as an excellent PS candidate, and agree that Jackson may be on the outs.

I am worried about the OT spot on this team. Not sure what is up with Solder but he looks skinny and weak to me.

I agree with everything in you excellent post including concerns about the OT position with Vollmer MIA. But, up close, Solder is big and looks physically imposing alongside fellow offensive linemen. he looked out of step against the Saints, but that's to be expected coming off a long layoff.

The Saints offensive line looked like crap, too. I think the lack of full-pads practice in camp affects the OL the most. They need to fire off on the snap into their assignments and feel the leverage of their blocks, and the timing of pulling to wherever they are supposed to go. You can't get that from half speed drills and just shoving DLs at the snap.

Thuney, Andrews and Mason is an excellent young interior. A healthy Vollmer and Solder on the outside should be plenty with the sheer volume of weapons the Pats have on offense. Anybody who blitzes is asking for trouble once Edelman, Amendola, Gronk and Bennett are synched up.

Sean Payton is a seriously overrated coach.

Program Alert

Replay of Patriots-Saints game on NFLN starting now (8:00 pm ET Monday August 15)

PM me if anyone wants to be directed to a rewind of the game.

The worries about Solder are asinine. Guy hasn't played in a year fer crissakes.

And that should be worrisome, as should the fact that he hasn't been as good as we expect him to be when he has played.

And that should be worrisome, as should the fact that he hasn't been as good as we expect him to be when he has played.
No, it really shouldn't be worrisome his first game back. It's to be expected.

And generally speaking, we know what we're getting from Solder and it's something the Pats can win Super Bowls with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back