PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pittsburgh...Merged ... Steelers /Tomlin Drama

corners don't cover TE's

that also leaves bouye on cooks........and safeties running around with dola and hogan? LOL

Since when do corners not cover TE's? There are plenty of examples where the matchup makes sense, including the Pats using Aqib Talib to cover Jimmy Graham (I think, unless I've got my TE's confused, but it was definitely a TE he shut down one game).

Yeah, I agree with you. Best way to beat NE (or really any good team) is a good pash rush on defense and a good offense capable of scoring multiple ways. Jacksonville may have a better overall defense than Pittsburgh but that does not make up for their offense being worse. BB/Josh will always find a matchup to exploit against your defense, and Brady is capable of making plays at times that simply cannot be defended - you need to be diverse and talented on offense to keep up. If your offense is basically "we can run good and sometimes our QB throws a good pass" (i.e. Buffalo's offense) then it's not a big struggle for the Pats defensively.

I get "any given Sunday" but when it comes down to it, it's about the offenses. You can have an insane defense, but Brady still did just fine against Seattle in SB49 and that was a hell of a defense.
Agreed. The Jags defense may give us some problems early on, but if they aren't scoring 7s multiple times while the Pats figure it out, especially at home, they aren't going to be able to keep up once Brady gets going. Plus, I am not so sure that D is all that. In their last four games only Buffalo couldn't put up a lot of points on them, and the Titans put up more points on them (15) than they put on our D, especially if you take away the garbage time/run out the clock/don't get hurt TD scored by the Titans against us. I know Pittsburgh has superior WRs (but they don't have Gronk), but does San Fran with Jimmy G? The Jags will also be playing their 2nd road game far away in cold weather in 2 weeks. Look for Brady & co. to go hurry up early to wear them out then see how good that D is. I am not saying this will be some blowout or cake walk, but I can't see the Pats losing this game. They know what their weaknesses are and will scheme to cover them up, and the Jags don't have the horses on O (or maybe even D) to keep up. Go Pats!

Since when do corners not cover TE's? There are plenty of examples where the matchup makes sense, including the Pats using Aqib Talib to cover Jimmy Graham (I think, unless I've got my TE's confused, but it was definitely a TE he shut down one game).

If my memory serves me I believe that was the 2013 season and it was Tony Gonzalez where they were jamming him to throw him off his routes using talib

Great. Open and shut case.
Well what are you looking for? A thesis explaining why 2 players don’t make a football team and why flashy stats don’t win Super Bowls?

TOMLIN DEFINITELY DESERVES TO BE FIRED BUT I’M NOT SURE HE WILL BE.
Well, in my own defense I have yet to post anything that has not been true. I apologize for my lack of links sometimes. I hear it on the radio before I see anything posted online. :)

It was Graham.

It’s a rare circumstance and the patriots could do it because they had McCourty at safety.

Who are you covering cooks hogan and amendola with if you put a corner on Gronk?
And how is that corner going to deal with 6’6 265 LBs.

By doing this you hurt 2 spots.

The patriots used Brandon browner who was 6’4 and the size of a safety to cover smaller receiving TEs pretty much playing his as a safety.

The difference is Jimmy Graham can't block.

Some people are dismissing the Jaguars because of Bortles. He can be erratic but dismissing him is a recipe for disaster.
Well we've been defeated by Mark Sanchez and the corpse of Peyton Manning in the playoffs before.

If the Jags defense is good enough to give us fits, Bortles and their offense can put up 20 especially if we turn the ball over to them.

Hopefully it will be our defenders taking the ball away
Certainly but it feels like we've been lacking in that area. Sure we grab an INT here or there but usually in garbage time. We need some turnovers when the game is still close, it will make life a lot easier for us.

It’s a rare circumstance and the patriots could do it because they had McCourty at safety.

Who are you covering cooks hogan and amendola with if you put a corner on Gronk?
And how is that corner going to deal with 6’6 265 LBs.

By doing this you hurt 2 spots.

The patriots used Brandon browner who was 6’4 and the size of a safety to cover smaller receiving TEs pretty much playing his as a safety.

I'm not arguing that Ramsey SHOULD cover Gronk, just challenging IC's (definitive) assertion that corners don't cover tight ends.

I'm not arguing that Ramsey SHOULD cover Gronk, just challenging IC's (definitive) assertion that corners don't cover tight ends.

Jacksonville was #28 against the TEs. While anything is possible, I think it's highly unlikely that the Jags will be able to deal with Gronk by using one-on-one coverage with either a safety or linebacker.

Jacksonville was #28 against the TEs. While anything is possible, I think it's highly unlikely that the Jags will be able to deal with Gronk by using one-on-one coverage with either a safety or linebacker.

Again, I'm not making a case for that. I was making a case against the notion that it's a scenario that simply doesn't happen.

Again, I'm not making a case for that. I was making a case against the notion that it's a scenario that simply doesn't happen.

I didn't mean to get you defensive, so I'm sorry my post came off that way. I've actually posted about looking to see if the Jags will put Ramsey on Gronk at all, when Gronk lines up outside, in a different thread:

Four things I'll be looking for the Patriots to possibly do

1. Catch Posluzny on the field and go hurry up to keep him there
  2. Use Allen more often (used on 28% of the snaps last week) early, in order to pound the ball and soften up the defense
  3. Put Gronk on the outside and dare the Jaguars to put Ramsey on him
  4. Put Burkhead in the slot on one side, and Amendola in the slot on the other side, and see if the Jags' LBs can cover both

My point responding to you was that nobody should be surprised if the Jags try the matchup, given the likelihood that none of their non-CBs can cover Gronk one-on-one.

I didn't mean to get you defensive, so I'm sorry my post came off that way. I've actually posted about looking to see if the Jags will put Ramsey on Gronk at all, when Gronk lines up outside, in a different thread.

My point responding to you was that nobody should be surprised if the Jags try the matchup, given the likelihood that none of their non-CBs can cover Gronk one-on-one.

Ah, gotcha. Not your fault. My defensiveness has a mind of its own sometimes.

ummmm......OK......let's watch Ramsey cover Gronk.....LOL

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back