PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots trade for Ravens CB Shaun Wade

Maybe Wade can learn Free Safety being DMac? DMac will not last forever. I don't think Williams or Mills are Free Safeties.

Yeah, he was very solid in 2019. The 2020 season was a rough one for him. Maybe because Ohio State waited to play football until almost November (still no clue why they got a playoff bid when they played half the games of other conferences, but I digress). He was still a team captain, though. Low risk/potential high reward trade.

From what I have seen, Wade was going to sit out last season using the COVID waiver thinking there would be spring ball and he didn't want to play in spring of 2021 only to have to play again in fall of 2021, but when Ohio State decided that the season would be played in the fall rather than the spring as originally intended, he decided to play again. So many of his struggles in 2020 could have been because he wasn't training like he should have in the offseason thinking he wouldn't play again until 2021.

I expect that our new 5th round draft pick will make the 53. I expect that the following won't: Bryant, Bledsoe, Ross, Colbert, Virgin, and Jackson.

I think that this is a fine unit, one of the very best in the NFL.

CB: Gilmore, Jackson, Jones, Mills, Wade

S: McCourty, Phillips, Dugger, Williams

ST: Bethel, Davis

PS: TBD. I presume that we would atwant Bledsoe, Bryant, and Jackson.
Isn't Bledsoe currently on the Active/NFI list? The Pats can keep him there until he's ready to be activated.

I can’t believe we got him to be a “slot/safety hybrid.” Our biggest need is outside and I expect BB got him for that purpose ( tho not right away). The Ravens trading him illustrates a significant difference between the teams in depth at the position.
They got him to play CB and special teams, if he can't do that he'll be gone. But you're right about depth, the same way the Pats just traded away Sony. You can't roster everyone, there is a 53 man limit.

They beat him up physically, it was a welcome to the NFL moment for the rookie... a tiny, super light rookie. Smith has great potential, but he's still rookie
Tying your two comments together - that's why Wililams had success against Smith - his role was to disrupt, push/hold, reroute the smaller, lighter player - he executed that role. They had JC Jackson on Smith for other plays with a different role likely more aligned to true cover corner for a longer period based on the down/distance/defensive play call.

Using different defensive calls, personnel and alignment in the NFL - so crazy it MIGHT just work!!!

Your description of Browner is a good one - he had a specific role on that defense - one that can be replicated by Williams as he learns to maximize those stronger traits and minimize his weaker ones (such as hips, lateral quickness, etc). How many of the "big" receivers did Browner - plus help over the top - erase while Revis was following a quicker/shiftier WR all over the formation?

Once again, flexibility to force the other team to go away from their strength or at a minimum adjust their approach to offense requires not just cookie cutter one-skill fits all nor revisionist history of "we coulda had X, Y, or Z" draft pick. If in week 6 you want to try and erase a great 6'4" receiver Williams maybe gets some run with McCourty help. In week 7 you need a smaller, quicker CB, he doesn't get much run at all.

I don't think you can make this statement credibly. Richard Sherman was a 5th round pick for a reason. JC Jackson was undrafted for a reason...

Wade was looking at a first round grade until the 2020 disaster - certain red flags flying high there. That doesn't mean things will or won't get worked out. He was having a pretty damned good camp, by all accounts.

This could be an absolute steal - or it could be a meh and shrug kind of thing. Wouldn't surprise me to see this kid becoming a really good corner.
And it would not surprise me either. however he is not now a stud. Studs on rookie deals don't get traded for a 5th rd pick two years later.

I’m not saying that the post is true or false….just throwing it out there. More likely, the truth is somewhere in the middle. He may have thought that he was “the man” coming into 2020 and knew that he could get away with acting up at the college level. I’m ok with arrogant at age 20 as long as he is smart, because a smart kid will realize that he is in a whole new world now and that being late to meetings or b*tching about his usage is a thing of the past. A smart kid will also realize that if he keeps his mouth shut and does what the GOAT head coach and his position coach want him to do, that he could be a rich man in a few years.

Imagine this scenario:

BB: Welcome, Shaun. We are looking forward to working with you. I know that you played multiple positions in college but we’re gonna start with you in the slot.

Wade: Thanks, coach, but I feel that I’m an outside guy, so I’d really prefer to work at that spot.

BB: Sure, Shaun. View attachment 35012
When you go for a job, you tell them what you are most comfortable doing. It is part of the process. You don't tell the boss you wont do something, but you know your strengths and weakness better than he does. Great managers seek our your input on how to get the mot of you.

And it would not surprise me either. however he is not now a stud. Studs on rookie deals don't get traded for a 5th rd pick two years later.
100% agree.

Right now, he's a draft pick, a dart-board throw, and nothing more - well, a little more, because I doubt he doesn't make the 53, given that they traded away two picks for him at this time of the pre-season.

I can’t believe we got him to be a “slot/safety hybrid.” Our biggest need is outside and I expect BB got him for that purpose ( tho not right away). The Ravens trading him illustrates a significant difference between the teams in depth at the position.
Why not? We need players who can play that role.
Every trade doesn’t fill every need.

Plus at this point it’s a projection, he may develop differently.

They'll IR Bledsoe or keep him on PUP.

I was hoping King of Pop would emerge as a CB4 but nope.

I liked Bryant. Not sure how they can hang on to him.

Bryant looks like he should be JJones' primary backup Slot CB, and that should normally be enough to keep a spot on the 53... But yeah things are getting a bit crowded in the D-backfield... Won't surprise me if Bill makes more trades - in both directions - after the Vagiants game ahead of Cut-Down Day...

Last edited:
I can’t believe we got him to be a “slot/safety hybrid.” Our biggest need is outside and I expect BB got him for that purpose ( tho not right away)...

We already have those players here: Mills, SloJuan & Mike Jackson... What we needed - and still do - is a credible Outside CB #3, and I don't know if Wade can or ever will successfully fill that role.

Maybe Wade can learn Free Safety being DMac? DMac will not last forever. I don't think Williams or Mills are Free Safeties.

Those two - plus Mike Jackson - are better Free Safeties than they are CBs, especially Outside ones.

Every trade doesn’t fill every need.

Plus at this point it’s a projection, he may develop differently.
Because perimeter players are harder to find in general and a bigger need for us. We already have players who are better in the slot (Jones, Mills, Bryant) than perimeter. Just my guess of course.

We already have those players here: Mills, SloJuan & Mike Jackson... What we needed - and still do - is a credible Outside CB #3, and I don't know if Wade can or ever will successfully fill that role.
Not sure what point you are trying to make. You are naming a need and we just picked up a guy who is at the bottom of the roster who appears to not fit that need. That doesn’t mean he can’t contribute.
Williams and Mills are going to be playing outside until Gilmore is back it appears.

Because perimeter players are harder to find in general and a bigger need for us. We already have players who are better in the slot (Jones, Mills, Bryant) than perimeter. Just my guess of course.
I’m talking about what the player is. Im
saying the need you are talking about, isn’t the role this guy was brought in for.
Let me put it a different way, if there is a need for an outside corner, the answer isn’t to trade for Shaun Wade.
They traded for Shaun Wade. For a different reason.

I’m talking about what the player is. Im
saying the need you are talking about, isn’t the role this guy was brought in for.
Let me put it a different way, if there is a need for an outside corner, the answer isn’t to trade for Shaun Wade.
They traded for Shaun Wade. For a different reason.
You are also just guessing. We will see soon enough.

You are also just guessing. We will see soon enough.
Guessing based upon knowing the player pretty well, and that if a starting player were needed you wouldn’t trade for a rookie drafted in round 5 and ready to be released.

I think that Mills is expected to start as free safety in 2022.

To put it another way, he isn't being paid $11M over the next two years to be a backup CB.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back