PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots trade for Ravens CB Shaun Wade

And depending on performance (obviously hopefully he is very successful for us) but Jalen Mills contract is cutable after the 2022 season so slot could be a need.
Wade was NOT signed because of a 2023 potential need for a slot corner.

Yeaaaaa, I understand that. But the contract numbers just kinda worked out that way. Just an observation on my part. I'm not the owner, not the GM, just a dude in southern illinois making an observation.

Was he signed to play slot? Safety? Outside corner?

I'm not sure we know - but knowing BB, the answer to all three is probably "yes."

Agree that he will not be the outside guy we need, but I don’t see that as a downside for him exactly. That’s a downside for not upgrading that particular spot. If he can revert back to form from 2019 at the slot position, that would be a benefit to us. Also some think he could be a good safety as well (when I say some, it was really one tweet, but I’m sure others do as well:rofl:) so there’s that.

Still don't think he'll give us anything more than what Mills or SloJuan (or Mike Jackson for that matter) don't already give/could've given us...and that's Not what we need right now.

I thought this was an interesting article.

I’m curious if anyone has any insight into the different weightlifting regimens.
“Here, we do a lot of legs,” said Wade. “In Baltimore, they do single legs, single arms, and stuff like that.”

Patriots don’t do ACLs they way they do in Baltimore.

Wade excels in working receivers from the slot.

In college, on the outside his technique was so terrible that he was basically burnt toast out there,

If bb leaves him on the outside, I do not think bb can fix his technique in the first half of the year. Maybe he improves in the second half of the year to see the field a bit.

if bb puts him on the inside, he could play as soon as he learns the system!

“Here, we do a lot of legs,” said Wade. “In Baltimore, they do single legs, single arms, and stuff like that.”

Patriots don’t do ACLs they way they do in Baltimore.

Practice-wise, it’s kind of the same, because you’ve got a lot of guys that are vets and they’re very intense. It’s just probably harder in Baltimore, that would be the little difference.

BB's going to just love seeing that.

I was surprised the media did not pick up on the "it being harder in Bmore" part. I found that interesting. I had expected him to say the other way.

“Men, I’ve been informed that one of you was telling the media that we don’t train hard enough here like they do in other places, that we go too easy on you here. I appreciate this information. To make sure we don’t fall behind in conditioning compared to those other places, we will no longer have any victory Mondays this year.”

Wonder if the team gives the Full Metal Jacket Private Lawrence treatment on Wade…..

“Men, I’ve been informed that one of you was telling the media that we don’t train hard enough here like they do in other places, that we go too easy on you here. I appreciate this information. To make sure we don’t fall behind in conditioning compared to those other places, we will no longer have any victory Mondays this year.”

Wonder if the team gives the Full Metal Jacket Private Lawrence treatment on Wade…..
exercising full metal jacket GIF

So your saying the Ravens valued 8 guys more than the guy we traded for. That DOESN'T make me feel more confident, DB. :eek:
No.. They could have easily valued Wade the same or better than Warrior, Averrett, and Young. And it was a die roll as to who was traded. Or, Wade was ranked higher than a couple of those guys and BB wanted WADE and not the others so Baltimore was ok with that.. You're making a guess as to where Wade was in terms of Baltimore's ranking and trying to pass it as fact.. Which is not like you at all, Ken.

Also, if you look now, Baltimore is hurting for CB depth since they have lost Peters and Westry for the year. Warrior, whom thy tried to sneak to the PS, was claimed by Seattle. And of course, the Trading of Wade.

Last edited:
Gilly is in the last year of his deal. Unless I'm misunderstanding the rule, since Gilly was placed on the PUP list in the final year of his contract, it is possible that the NEP can "toll" or push the final year of his contract to 2022.

What I don't know is if the NEP go nuclear on Gilly and IR him, does the ~$16m dead cap get pushed to 2022 and does that free up space for 2021?
If NE were to toll Gilmore's contract, the ONLY thing that would be on the 2022 cap would be the Salary and any in game bonuses because the SB amortization is already there this year. Not sure why you would think that any dead cap from Gilmore would be pushed to 2022.

Now, the one we'd have to as is @Miguel if the Pats would get any credits next year.

Clear sign to me that Gilmore will continue to be on PUP until he decides to get off it which will only be if he gets paid or is about to be traded. I don't think it's coincidental Dallas just freed up about the same amount it would cost to take on Gilmore. Won't surprise me if Gilmore comes off the PUP list tomorrow or Tuesday and is traded before the 53 cutdown deadline on Tuesday

Gilmore has to remain on the PUP list until at least week 6, only then can the Pats let him start practicing which begins the 21 day window to activate him to the roster or IR him.

So there will be no sudden trade, anywhere, yes they could trade him after week 6, but not before.

Gilmore has to remain on the PUP list until at least week 6, only then can the Pats let him start practicing which begins the 21 day window to activate him to the roster or IR him.

So there will be no sudden trade, anywhere, yes they could trade him after week 6, but not before.
Are you saying that it against league rules to trade a player on the PUP list?

If NE were to toll Gilmore's contract, the ONLY thing that would be on the 2022 cap would be the Salary and any in game bonuses because the SB amortization is already there this year. Not sure why you would think that any dead cap from Gilmore would be pushed to 2022.

Now, the one we'd have to as is @Miguel if the Pats would get any credits next year.
Like I said I don't know which is why I asked the question

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back