PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots trade for Ravens CB Shaun Wade

I think that Mills is expected to start as free safety in 2022.

To put it another way, he isn't being paid $11M over the next two years to be a backup CB.

I think DMac is making $11M against the cap this year and the starting salary for good corners is $12M+, so $5.5M ($11M over two years) for Mills is not that far off a utility CB wage. J Jones if over $7M and he is a bargain. If Mills is the starting Free Safety in 2022 at $5.5M that is a bargain.

Why do you think Mills is expected to start at Free Safety in 2022?

Looking at him on video I can definitely see why Bill was interested in this guy. He seems both alert and intelligent, a ball hawk, and very positionally strong. He puts himself in position to make plays by running intelligent coverage and reading the play well. In other words a perfect Belichick cornerback.

In no way, shape or form did SloJuan "shut down" Devante Smith...To claim otherwise is laughable.
Result are results - Smith played the ENTIRE game, most of the time he was covered by Williams. The result of that full game were 2 short catches for less than 15 yds and only ONE against Williams. God forbid Harry had a night like that. BTW in the one deep pass Smith was targeted (that I remember) Williams was in position to knock it away. On a few other deep routes Smith ran. Williams was running with Smith.

Now I'm not saying Williams should be starting (though he might have to), but he certainly did enough lead the fight for the #4 CB going into the last playoff game. and DEFINITELY didn't earn a ha ha.

The Ravens CB group (in no particular order):
Marcus Peters, Marlon Humphrey, Chris Westry (6'4), Anthony Averrett, Nigel Warrior, Brandon Stephens (2021 - 3rd round),Tavon Young, Jimmy Smith.

Peters (1) and Humphrey(2) are the entrenched outside CBs. The Ravens are REALLY high on Westry(3) and Stephens(4). They have Jimmy Smith(5) who is still adequate in that secondary. Averett(6) played in about 1/3 of the defensive snaps last year. Warrior, Young, Averrett and Wade were basically battling for 1-2 spots

The following blurb was written before the Ravens cut Richards and before Jimmy Smith got carted off in practice with a low ankle sprain. The article mentions that they expect the Ravens to keep 6-7 CB.. And that they also put 2 corners on IR already.

Bubble Battle at Defensive Back
So your saying the Ravens valued 8 guys more than the guy we traded for. That DOESN'T make me feel more confident, DB. :eek:

Many players are cut or traded by one team and have success on another. Not really here to debate that, just wanted to point out that it’s silly to give any credence to some guy who is a fan of the team that traded him saying his friend told him
crap about the guy that is obviously fabricated.
Like I said, it may be so. But I thought it telling that the Ravens felt they had 5 CB's they liked better. Now DB informs us that they actually liked EIGHT CB's more than Wade. So I have to believe that he is a developmental player who will have little impact THIS year other than ST, IF he makes the final 53 and probably won't survive when Gilmore and Jones return.

I dunno, sounds kinda made up to me. If he sucked at outside corner and refused to play inside the right coaching move would be to bench him. It's not like Alabama is so low on talent that they couldn't replace him.
If he sucked that bad at CB and was such a problem child why was he ranked so high prior to injury….ratbird fan that wrote this sounds sore ***ed….BB talked to Saban on this trust me….that’s all anyone needs to know….maybe he will work out maybe he won’t ….

So your saying the Ravens valued 8 guys more than the guy we traded for. That DOESN'T make me feel more confident, DB. :eek:
No that isn’t at all what it says.

Like I said, it may be so. But I thought it telling that the Ravens felt they had 5 CB's they liked better. Now DB informs us that they actually liked EIGHT CB's more than Wade. So I have to believe that he is a developmental player who will have little impact THIS year other than ST, IF he makes the final 53 and probably won't survive when Gilmore and Jones return.
No one “informed” anything like that.
So now we are using anonymous internet poster rumors ( hey they may be so) and butchering an article about competition at a position to conclude bill belichick just traded for a provenly insubordinate ass and could have just picked up players that beat him out when they get cut.
Ken you have to stop guessing at conclusions then believing crap to support it. It’s bad form.

No one “informed” anything like that.
So now we are using anonymous internet poster rumors ( hey they may be so) and butchering an article about competition at a position to conclude bill belichick just traded for a provenly insubordinate ass and could have just picked up players that beat him out when they get cut.
Ken you have to stop guessing at conclusions then believing crap to support it. It’s bad form.
Hey it works for Donald Trump. ;)

But regardless of that guy's post, and let's assume that it was "fake news", the FACT is that the Ravens are keeping 8 other CB's OVER Wade. You keep on focusing on a post that I had LOVG ago conceded was specious and ignoring the fact that Wade was the Raven's 9th best CB.

You have also ignored the fact that I am not unhappy about the trade. Just the expectations that Wade will have much of an impact THIS season. Hopefully he will develop over time, just like the likes of Butler, Jackson and Jones, all less regarded CB's than Wade coming out of college who thrived in this system. And I sincerely hope I'm wrong about the timeframe

Hey it works for Donald Trump. ;)

But regardless of that guy's post, and let's assume that it was "fake news", the FACT is that the Ravens are keeping 8 other CB's OVER Wade. You keep on focusing on a post that I had LOVG ago conceded was specious and ignoring the fact that Wade was the Raven's 9th best CB.

You have also ignored the fact that I am not unhappy about the trade. Just the expectations that Wade will have much of an impact THIS season. Hopefully he will develop over time, just like the likes of Butler, Jackson and Jones, all less regarded CB's than Wade coming out of college who thrived in this system. And I sincerely hope I'm wrong about the timeframe
No it is not a FACT that the Ravens are keeping 8 cbs over Wade. Someone quoted an article estimating they may keep 6-7. That does not equal a FACT they are keeping 8.
But you know how this works. They are overloaded at a position. So they trade the guy they can get something for.
And you didn’t “long ago conclude it was specious”, in the very post I replied to you said maybe it’s true.

Wade is corner drafted in the 5th round. He figures to be a strong special teams player and has played well enough, when healthy to have been projected as a 1st round pick and named all American.
His expectations should be based upon that. I’m not sure who you think expects him to walk in and start.

We all saw how giddy everyone got that BB gave Mac a low-five after the first joint practice with the Giants. Can't wait to read into this exchange too!

I’m really surprised that nobody seems to have Bryant on the 53. The guy is undersized and isn’t an elite athlete but he is also a natural playmaker and has position versatility.

I've had Bryant on my 53 all through camp, until we traded for Wade. It's not like Wade is a lock to make it (fifth round picks usually aren't, and that's essentially what we gave up for him), but it would be odd to me if we made this trade then 5 days later cut him. I think the backfield is just a bit too crowded to keep Bryant, unless there's a new injury or Gilmore starts the year on PUP.

Last edited:
I think DMac is making $11M against the cap this year and the starting salary for good corners is $12M+, so $5.5M ($11M over two years) for Mills is not that far off a utility CB wage. J Jones if over $7M and he is a bargain. If Mills is the starting Free Safety in 2022 at $5.5M that is a bargain.

Why do you think Mills is expected to start at Free Safety in 2022?
Mills will be a "starting" 3rd corner as we nickel as a base defense in about ~48% of cases. Doubt Mills un seats McCourty as he has locked down the FS spot for 10 years and I have not seen a huge regression from his play.

Mills will be a "starting" 3rd corner as we nickel as a base defense in about ~48% of cases. Doubt Mills un seats McCourty as he has locked down the FS spot for 10 years and I have not seen a huge regression from his play.

No doubt Mills will not unseat DMac. But there is the 2nd high safety spot, and will DMac be back next year?

Overall I think Mills is a utility guy in the defensive secondary, and the point of my post is that his salary is not out of line for that role as DBs are well paid.

I think that Mills is expected to start as free safety in 2022.

To put it another way, he isn't being paid $11M over the next two years to be a backup CB.
Eh, he isn’t paid it on the hopes McCourty retires either. Bb likes him and will have a big role for him.
I expect > 50% of the snaps this year.

Jones is the 3rd corner.
We use nickel as the bad about 97% of the time. Some with 3 corners, some with 3 safeties.

Mills is strictly a box safety that plays the run well,

he can not cover a fire hydrant,

Wade has value as a slot corner, but I doubt he can play outside or as a free safety!

Mills is strictly a box safety that plays the run well,

he can not cover a fire hydrant,

Wade has value as a slot corner, but I doubt he can play outside or as a free safety!
If you want Mills in coverage as a CB, he’s best utilized in the red zone; where he can utilize his strength which is his physicality & play in a “phone booth.”

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back