PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots trade for Ravens CB Shaun Wade

Perhaps that wasn't the right word. He wasn't beating out any of their current cbs to earn a roster spot, no matter how great those preseason stats appear. If he was such a clear cut stud they'd have found a way to keep their 2021 pick on their roster.

Of course he is not stud, he was drafted late for a reason and the same reason why he only got the same pick 2 years in the future as compensation. CBS 4, 5 and 6 are close on the ravens, one of them have to move, you trade the one that you can extrapolate value from. Young is talented, but back to back injuries gives him no trade value. With him being a concern the 5th corner had to be a vet, so Westry is the one remaining for the 5th slot.

Premium athlete for a 7th and a 5th 2 years from now.

If he winds up in the rotation this year and next year it was well worth it.

If he winds up starting next year it'll be a steal.

If he is a bust....it's still a 7th and a 5th two years from now.

Regardless of where we play wade, the fact is he is a rookie.

with a healthy Gilmore, this defense is lethal. Without him, there is a huge hole to fill.

neither slowjuan, mills or m Jackson is capable of starting opposite of c Jackson!
I’m not even convinced C Jackson is going to be a true #1. I like him, I’m glad that NE has him, but there were times he was great and other times he was iffy. Great #2. But we’ll see how great he is as #1…

Last edited:
That's because the Ravens have so many CBs in front of him. They had 11CBs at one point in camp. They've IRed two of them. They have Peters, Humphrey, Smith, Westry, and Stephens (2021 - 3rd pick) ahead of him. They also had 2 vets that he was battling with in Averrett and Young. Stephens wasn't exactly lighting it up for the Ravens, but he was their 3rd round pick.

Did you stop to think that maybe they realized that short of other injuries, there was no real way to keep Wade? That trading him was better than losing him to waivers? Or did you stop and think that maybe the Patriots reached out about Wade specifically and they weren't interested in Warrior, Young or Averrett, so the Ravens felt that the Pats offer was the best one available?
Pretty sure I did mention in my first post "They want to get something in return" before they lost him, so yes I did stop to think trading him was their best option. They ravens are clearly deep at the position. If the kid ends up being a mainstay here then fantastic.

Pretty sure I did mention in my first post "They want to get something in return" before they lost him, so yes I did stop to think trading him was their best option. They ravens are clearly deep at the position. If the kid ends up being a mainstay here then fantastic.

I don't believe Belichick would have made the trade without having touched based with Schiano first. As a 5th rounder, he's a developmental guy, but has high upside and his preseason play would give one hope that he's better than M.Jackson and D. Virgin. It will remain to be seen how he develops, but having a 6'1 guy who can play both in the slot and on the outside wouldn't be a bad thing.

Of course he is not stud, he was drafted late for a reason and the same reason why he only got the same pick 2 years in the future as compensation.
I don't think you can make this statement credibly. Richard Sherman was a 5th round pick for a reason. JC Jackson was undrafted for a reason...

Wade was looking at a first round grade until the 2020 disaster - certain red flags flying high there. That doesn't mean things will or won't get worked out. He was having a pretty damned good camp, by all accounts.

This could be an absolute steal - or it could be a meh and shrug kind of thing. Wouldn't surprise me to see this kid becoming a really good corner.

then how do you explain Williams shutting down DSmith last week? Is Smith the bust?

In no way, shape or form did SloJuan "shut down" Devante Smith...To claim otherwise is laughable.

In no way, shape or form did SloJuan "shut down" Devante Smith...To claim otherwise is laughable.
Hmm.. Let's see... Whom to believe? The guy with 30+ years of ACTUAL football experience or the guy with 20+ years of Football delusion?

I know whom I'm going with..

Premium athlete for a 7th and a 5th 2 years from now.

If he winds up in the rotation this year and next year it was well worth it.

If he winds up starting next year it'll be a steal.

If he is a bust....it's still a 7th and a 5th two years from now.
You've never seen as much hemming and hawing over draft picks as you'll see in Patriot nation. Draft picks are bullets in a machine gun waiting to be used, they may not all hit, but if you shoot enough in the right direction your target will be Swiss cheese.

It's 2023 and Mac Jones leads the NFL in passing using his triumvirate of top weapons, Meyers, Gunner, Wilkerson on his way to a Super Bowl championship. The negative Nancy's in Patriot land... "yeah but BB sucks, remember N'Keal Harry."

I expect that our new 5th round draft pick will make the 53. I expect that the following won't: Bryant, Bledsoe, Ross, Colbert, Virgin, and Jackson.

I think that this is a fine unit, one of the very best in the NFL.

CB: Gilmore, Jackson, Jones, Mills, Wade

S: McCourty, Phillips, Dugger, Williams

ST: Bethel, Davis

PS: TBD. I presume that we would atwant Bledsoe, Bryant, and Jackson.

Smith makes everyone look bad. Check out his game against Wade at OSU.
Smith made himself look bad in that preseason game against us, he dropped so many passes I think his hands were lubed.

You've never seen as much hemming and hawing over draft picks as you'll see in Patriot nation. Draft picks are bullets in a machine gun waiting to be used, they may not all hit, but if you shoot enough in the right direction your target will be Swiss cheese.

It's 2023 and Mac Jones leads the NFL in passing using his triumvirate of top weapons, Meyers, Gunner, Wilkerson on his way to a Super Bowl championship. The negative Nancy's in Patriot land... "yeah but BB sucks, remember N'Keal Harry."
Thats my philosophy as well. Draft picks are numbers on a craps table. The more chips you place on a number, the bigger the risk. The more chips you place on several numbers the better your odds of getting a decent payout or breaking even.

Certainly misses like Harry, JuJuan, etc hurt but if picks are traded for good players and the team can get some decent production out of them, it's worth it every time.

This is a low risk move if there every was one.

Seeing that the Murderer-Worshippers aren't adverse to trading rookie day 3 draft picks, Bill should've told them to include Ty Wallace in the deal, and he then could've included KNeal Harry...

Last edited:
I expect that our new 5th round draft pick will make the 53. I expect that the following won't: Bryant, Bledsoe, Ross, Colbert, Virgin, and Jackson.

I think that this is a fine unit, one of the very best in the NFL.

CB: Gilmore, Jackson, Jones, Mills, Wade

S: McCourty, Phillips, Dugger, Williams

ST: Bethel, Davis

PS: TBD. I presume that we would atwant Bledsoe, Bryant, and Jackson.
They'll IR Bledsoe or keep him on PUP.

I was hoping King of Pop would emerge as a CB4 but nope.

I liked Bryant. Not sure how they can hang on to him.

Not a great game but no thanks to us.
Williams has played well this preseason, he's not a super fast corner, he's a safety playing corner... the player comp for him is Brandon Browner. You're not using him to cover Tyreek Hill, but he'll come in handy when they play Darren Waller or want a press man corner to play physical against the bigger WR's in the league.

Mills isn't a corner, I wasn't very high on his acquisition but think he can play some safety if need be or play corner against slower WR's. Smith got tossed around by the Patriots corners in that preseason game, probably also why he was dropping it. They beat him up physically, it was a welcome to the NFL moment for the rookie... a tiny, super light rookie. Smith has great potential, but he's still rookie.

Bedard pretty much echoing my thoughts on wade, for what it’s worth.
I can’t believe we got him to be a “slot/safety hybrid.” Our biggest need is outside and I expect BB got him for that purpose ( tho not right away). The Ravens trading him illustrates a significant difference between the teams in depth at the position.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back