PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots trade for Ravens CB Shaun Wade

Clear sign to me that Gilmore will continue to be on PUP until he decides to get off it which will only be if he gets paid or is about to be traded. I don't think it's coincidental Dallas just freed up about the same amount it would cost to take on Gilmore. Won't surprise me if Gilmore comes off the PUP list tomorrow or Tuesday and is traded before the 53 cutdown deadline on Tuesday

Clear sign to me that Gilmore will continue to be on PUP until he decides to get off it which will only be if he gets paid or is about to be traded. I don't think it's coincidental Dallas just freed up about the same amount it would cost to take on Gilmore. Won't surprise me if Gilmore comes off the PUP list tomorrow or Tuesday and is traded before the 53 cutdown deadline on Tuesday
Gilmore for Gallup and a mid round pick makes a lot of sense.
Gallup would be a number 1 at worst a number 2 here.
Then hopefully we can get out of that terrible agholar contract next Season.

So this is an interesting bit of potential leverage the NEP have with Gilly that I don't think they want to use in the least.
From Article 20 in the CBA
  • Section 2. Physically Unable to Perform
    Any player placed on a Physically Unable to Perform list (“PUP”) will be paid his full Paragraph 5 Salary while on such list. His contract will not be tolled for the period he is on PUP, except in the last year of his contract, when the player’s contract will be tolled if (i) he is still physically unable to perform his football services as of the sixth regular season game; and (ii) he is not reinstated to the Club’s Active/Inactive List during that regular season or postseason. For the avoidance of doubt, if the player returns to practice, but is never reinstated to the Club’s Active/Inactive List during that regular season or postseason, his contract will toll.
A "toll" means the team can push the last year of the contract to the following year if the player is deemed unable to play by the team.

Gilly is in the last year of his deal. Unless I'm misunderstanding the rule, since Gilly was placed on the PUP list in the final year of his contract, it is possible that the NEP can "toll" or push the final year of his contract to 2022.

What I don't know is if the NEP go nuclear on Gilly and IR him, does the ~$16m dead cap get pushed to 2022 and does that free up space for 2021?

If Gilly is in fact sitting it out b/c of the contract, the Pats are keeping him on the PUP because of the leverage they have via the toll option.

Again, I don't see this playing out but it's an interesting aspect to this contractural game of chicken.

Last edited:
Gilmore for Gallup and a mid round pick makes a lot of sense.
Gallup would be a number 1 at worst a number 2 here.
Then hopefully we can get out of that terrible agholar contract next Season.
I'd rather have GIlmore.

The Pats can't get out of Agholor's contract next year without a ton of dead money. Also, Gallup, Cory Davis, Curtis Samuel, and Nelson Agholor all had similar stats last year, with Agholor being the one to "take the top off" a defense. Gallup is still on a cheap deal, but the other three all got similar deals (Davis and Samuel a bit more, actually).

So I don't know why Agholor's contract is "terrible." That's the market for a receiver in his range.

I like this guy’s analyses. He is very high on Wade as a slot CB or safety but not so much as an outside guy. He refers to him a “community p*ssy” for the SEC stud WRs in 2020. LOL.

(Deus is obvi the Patsfans community p*ssy.)

Would be a shame if they can't keep him. Elite CB1's don't grow on trees. And the Pats have cap space. The whole defense changes without Gilmore.

Wade was a good trade. Man corner with talent but an issue made him fall in the draft, sounds like a similar profile when we picked up JC Jackson

Wade was a good trade. Man corner with talent but an issue made him fall in the draft, sounds like a similar profile when we picked up JC Jackson
The “issue” was that he got abused as an outside corner last year. I agree, though, that it was a good trade.

The “issue” was that he got abused as an outside corner last year. I agree, though, that it was a good trade.

Everyone knows he needs time. This is a developmental player for the Pats. The coaches seem to be seeding every position group with one or two very young, talented, but raw players that could develop into major contributors in a year or two.

I’m struggling to see the downside to this trade. A fifth 2 yrs from now for a kid that was pegged as a 1st round talent not too long ago. This is exactly the kind of player you take a chance on and see what you can do with him. What in the he!! Is the issue here. Someone explain the downside, and don’t say wasting a draft pick. If that’s your argument then…
Gordon Ramsay Reaction GIF

I’m struggling to see the downside to this trade. A fifth 2 yrs from now for a kid that was pegged as a 1st round talent not too long ago. This is exactly the kind of player you take a chance on and see what you can do with him. What in the he!! Is the issue here. Someone explain the downside, and don’t say wasting a draft pick. If that’s your argument then…
"wasting a draft pick" is a perfectly acceptable argument. "He sucked in his last year of college" is another one. In this case, the second argument would feed the first.

"wasting a draft pick" is a perfectly acceptable argument. "He sucked in his last year of college" is another one. In this case, the second argument would feed the first.
Guess I really shouldn’t have said that’s not an argument. It is a valid argument but can be rectified. Kid has talent. Would like to see what this kid can do with our coaching. Do not see a future 5th round pick as a big deal. BB will find ways to recoup that pick. Sucking his last year in college in a jacked up year with a turf toe injury could be an argument. Same argument can be made that he was a stud one year earlier. I personally feel he is worth that price for the potential reward. If he Busts…

Seth Meyers Whatever GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Not really; JC's issues were more off-field than on-field related, whereas Wade's issues are more related to his ability, now & in the future, to become a credible Outside CB in this system.

The downside is that he'll never become what we need him to become: a credible Outside CB behind Gilmore & JCJack, neither of whom might even be here by this time next year.

The downside is that he'll never become what we need him to become: a credible Outside CB behind Gilmore & JCJack, neither of whom might even be here by this time next year.
Agree that he will not be the outside guy we need, but I don’t see that as a downside for him exactly. That’s a downside for not upgrading that particular spot. If he can revert back to form from 2019 at the slot position, that would be a benefit to us. Also some think he could be a good safety as well (when I say some, it was really one tweet, but I’m sure others do as well:rofl:) so there’s that.

And with JJones contract up after next year, maybe he could step in there. I’m sure JJ will get a hefty deal somewhere. Maybe, maybe not.

And depending on performance (obviously hopefully he is very successful for us) but Jalen Mills contract is cutable after the 2022 season so slot could be a need.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
Back