PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots trade for Ravens CB Shaun Wade

Interesting, Ravens run out of room for him?

Interesting. Prior to yesterday I had figured the Pats were more likely to trade Michel straight up for CB depth help rather than a draft pick since that seems to be lacking. Well, they traded Michel and picked up a CB but still used draft picks anyhow.

He was burnt toast in the CFP Championship game trying to cover Smith. But then, so were most corners trying to cover him. I had a 4th on him prior to the draft. Hopefully he didn’t do anything that would cause the Ravens to unload him. Hopefully it’s just because of their deep defensive backfield.

I like the move, they need corners - especially ones who can play outside - and Wade has looked good in the past so he has potential. Low cost move, they're basically paying slightly less than what they just got back in return for Michel, but more years of control on Wade.

Had a bad year last year. Was rated a 1st round pick before that bad year. Good size, not sure about the speed though, didn’t run at the combine or pro day as far as I can find.

If Wade makes the roster, it’ll be because of his long-term potential. He hasn’t been the sixth-best cornerback in camp; Chris Westry has outperformed him in one-on-ones and team drills, and Nigel Warrior had a solid game Saturday against Carolina. But Wade showed immense potential at Ohio State as a slot cornerback, where Tavon Young’s injury history leaves the Ravens on unstable ground, and the front office is loath to part with fifth-round picks.

Ravens 53-man roster projection: As final cuts loom, here’s how team could come together

He was burnt toast in the CFP Championship game trying to cover Smith. But then, so were most corners trying to cover him. I had a 4th on him prior to the draft. Hopefully he didn’t do anything that would cause the Ravens to unload him. Hopefully it’s just because of their deep defensive backfield.
Probably will end up as a safety.

So assuming an injury doesn't make the decision for us (which of course it might), who loses their spot for him in the end do you think?

Teams are trading players at positions of depth who they would have cut anyway. He wouldn’t have made it to the practice squad so trades are the best way to ensure compensation. It doesn’t have to mean anything about Gilmore or Jones, they simply needed depth after the top three.

So assuming an injury doesn't make the decision for us (which of course it might), who loses their spot for him in the end do you think?
Maybe JoeJuan, maybe Bryant, but I wouldn't assume this guy makes it. What I've read says he's the only Ravens CB in camp who *wasn't* tearing it up.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back