PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Have Called on Jeudy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not in the NFL. If anything teams tend to become better off if they trade for the right coach. I don't believe anyone regrets the draft pick we gave up to the Jets and then subsequently embarked on having the greatest championship winning dynasty in NFL history. Not saying it's always going to happen like that, but acquiring a great head coach impacts winning in football seemingly more than in any other sport.
Oh I agree, I was just making mention that the fact period a coach can be traded in any sports. I used to think it was just players that were trade commodity. However as you mentioned during the right circumstances coaches can be made available for trades as we were the beneficiary of ourselves.

Actually IIRC, Payton walked away from the Saints with a few years left on his contract, so technically they still owned his rights until that contract expired. So Denver had to either trade for him or watch him be an analyst on TV for however long that contract ran.
I see, so if a coach is still under contract and they chose to step away as Payton did. Would they still be paid from the respective team and the network they would work for? I always wondered?

What WRs in this draft do you think are a cut above the pack?
Smith-Njigba and Johnston, then there's a dropoff. And those 2 are very different types of receivers, not sure which type BOB wants. I'm more in the camp of grabbing a CB or OT if there's one there they love, but if the ones they love are gone, then one of these receivers could be our man.

I think we signed free agents in a way that will allow us to just pick best available wr, tackle or corner at 14

I'm in the midst of doing a pfn mock. I traded down one spot to the Packers and picked got the 78th. Then I traded down to 19 to the TB pick gave up that 78 to grab their first next year (I don't think they are a playoff team) Now I'm faced with the task of choosing between The OT from Northwestern, Skoronski, Joey Porter, and Van Ness That's a HARD choice. But I went with Porter. Size, mostly man CB, who will need to refine his technique and learn to be effective in zone. But the immediate need is too great and Campbell and Jones are off the board and some think Skoranski is better off at G. - Porter CB

2nd round - Freeland Duncan and Mauch are all there - But so is Zey Flowers. The local boy is tough to turn down, but the need for a long term solution is at OT so I pick the guy with the highest ceiling and pick Mauck. We can muddle through with what we have for next year, but after that we need a long term solution at LT and I'm hoping Mauck is that guy. The alternative was to pick Flowers and hope Bergeron would be there in the 3rd. Too big a risk so I go with a smaller risk in Mauck. Mauck. OT

3rd round - and it was a good thing because Bergeron went off the board to Atlanta right before us - There are some interesting WR's there, but by this point everyone is a risk so I go with my 3rd biggest need and choose ANOTHER Dakota guy in Tucker Kraft. 6'5 255 good blocker good athlete - Kraft TE

4th round - We have 3 picks in this round, so its a good round to take some chances. So with that first pick at 107, I selected a speed LB out of Texas with great length. Overshawn - It was a tough decision between him and McDonald the edge rusher, but I'm OK with our current Edge guys, so I went with the 6'4 225 lb LB Overshawn LB

Next I know all the WR geeks will be pounding at my door, so I go with a WR from Virginia that I thought combined some size AND quickness

With the last pick in that round I go with the Wisconsin DT Keenau Benton 315 6'4 with a quick first step. Hopefully Guy's eventua; replacement. Benton - DT

6th round - I double down at OT and take a long shot with the 6'7 325 lb Jackson Kirkland. and a few picks later, I take a shot at the Princeton WR Iaccasva who has a good size and speed profile and I end the round with the Penn State C with a name I liked Juice Scruggs

In the 7th I take a punter Turk

Now I'm agonizing over this mock, imagine what it's like when its you livelihood at stake. In the end its sometimes just luck.

'

And what pick/s are we getting in return besides Jeudy?
None. Jeudy is a average QB and 40 more targets away from being a 1200/8 guy. Lead the league in yards per route i believe? 23 yo. Established connection with Mac.

You wouldn't give up a 2nd & 3rd for that???

Some pats fans think they're more clever than they are watching Bill all these years. Even if we're overpaying slightly, who cares? We know Jeudy can play. We gave away a 1st and 2nd for Harry and Sanu. How in the world is Jeudy not worth a 2nd & 3rd in with that said?
And has his option been picked-up by Denver, or have we agreed to an extension with him already?
We're paying him if we give up those picks.

*Side note*
You'll never see Mac's ceiling or really see what he can do without top tier talent around him.

*Other side note*
Next year's FA class is much better on paper but Cinci isn't parting from Higgins after they could have cashed in this year. Not happening. Lamb isn't leaving Dallas lol. Minnesota isn't parting with JJ. That's actually the least likely. He's a top 15 player in the league and they had to watch Moss catch 50 in 3 years here. I highly highly doubt SF let's Aiyuk go. Same for Pittman. After that it's decent but nothing besides Jeudy and you'll be bidding with anyone that wants him.

24 wr draft class looks a little better but we know how those things go.

And both those options just kick the can down the road another year. With less time to get acclimated to players, coaches, city etc

*Other other side note*
Our division went from a joke to interesting to arguably the best in the league in 4-5 years. This isn't out of nowhere for fantasy fun. We're going to have to put up some points next year if you want people to take you seriously.

None. Jeudy is a average QB and 40 more targets away from being a 1200/8 guy. Lead the league in yards per route i believe? 23 yo. Established connection with Mac.

You wouldn't give up a 2nd & 3rd for that???

Some pats fans think they're more clever than they are watching Bill all these years. Even if we're overpaying slightly, who cares? We know Jeudy can play. We gave away a 1st and 2nd for Harry and Sanu. How in the world is Jeudy not worth a 2nd & 3rd in with that said?

We're paying him if we give up those picks.

*Side note*
You'll never see Mac's ceiling or really see what he can do without top tier talent around him.

*Other side note*
Next year's FA class is much better on paper but Cinci isn't parting from Higgins after they could have cashed in this year. Not happening. Lamb isn't leaving Dallas lol. Minnesota isn't parting with JJ. That's actually the least likely. He's a top 15 player in the league and they had to watch Moss catch 50 in 3 years here. I highly highly doubt SF let's Aiyuk go. Same for Pittman. After that it's decent but nothing besides Jeudy and you'll be bidding with anyone that wants him.

24 wr draft class looks a little better but we know how those things go.

And both those options just kick the can down the road another year. With less time to get acclimated to players, coaches, city etc

*Other other side note*
Our division went from a joke to interesting to arguably the best in the league in 4-5 years. This isn't out of nowhere for fantasy fun. We're going to have to put up some points next year if you want people to take you seriously.
Great post - you might have turned me here. I've been asking (sincerely) why Jeudy is different than the guys like Curtis Samuel, Corey Davis, Kenny Golloday, Nelson Agholor, etc.
I haven't watched him much, just the highlights - his highlights look really good. Also seems like a good teammate - haven't seen anything of him being the diva, so to speak. If the Pats feel the way you do with him, go get him, exercise the 5th-year option, and hope he's here for the next seven years.

Two questions: Would you give up pick 14 for him (or try to trade down and give the lower 1st-rounder, if possible)?
Is there any receiver coming out worth that `14 pick? I don't see it.

Perfect scenario would be to trade down to say 24 range pick up a second and fourth for that trade down use 24 to get Jeudy and then draft BPA with the gained second and fourth.
@Zappe Hour just thought I'd mention I saw that Murphy-bunting signed a 1 yr 3.5 Mill. Deal with titans... what a miss...on our end.. that is peanuts for a CB these days..

@Zappe Hour just thought I'd mention I saw that Murphy-bunting signed a 1 yr 3.5 Mill. Deal with titans... what a miss...on our end.. that is peanuts for a CB these days..
Where would you play him? It's peanuts because he doesn't have a spot here assuming we're bringing in a bigger CB.

Rookie CB, 3x Jones

Where would you play him? It's peanuts because he doesn't have a spot here assuming we're bringing in a bigger CB.

Rookie CB, 3x Jones
Where would I play him? Thank you for the question. He's what jo Jones isn't a perimeter CB. Jojones is excellent in the slot, I'm not sure where Marcus is going to end up offense or defense..

Bigger CB 6"1 on one side jack on the other.. Jack is closer to 6"0 he plays a lot bigger than his Frame.. I still say anytime you have the opportunity to sign a proven CB with those attributes you do it. Meanwhile sean Wade is still on this team..

Where would I play him? Thank you for the question. He's what jo Jones isn't a perimeter CB. Jojones is excellent in the slot, I'm not sure where Marcus is going to end up offense or defense..

Bigger CB 6"1 on one side jack on the other.. Jack is closer to 6"0 he plays a lot bigger than his Frame.. I still say anytime you have the opportunity to sign a proven CB with those attributes you do it. Meanwhile sean Wade is still on this team..
But he's not nearly a top quality CB. This is why he got so little money. Every single team could've had him. As for Marcus Jones, he's going to be on defense, that's been said by him and coaches.

In other words, the team needs to have a CB that's better than Jack Jones or Jon Jones, and Murphy-Bunting isn't

But he's not nearly a top quality CB. This is why he got so little money. Every single team could've had him. As for Marcus Jones, he's going to be on defense, that's been said by him and coaches.

In other words, the team needs to have a CB that's better than Jack Jones or Jon Jones, and Murphy-Bunting isn't
I don't know know that Murphy-bunting isn't.. the Injury history is what dropped his value just like any other good player at thier position when they are injured .. he's very much a top quality CB he was part of that defense when Brady won with Tampa.. he's been a day one stater with Tampa. He under BB and mayo on defense would be sensational here.

All I'm saying is he would have been worth the signing even on a prove it 1 yr deal.. So let me ask are you comfortable with the CB depth? Your comfortable with Marcus Jones and or jo Jones on Diggs again? Wilson? Hill & Waddle? I'm not saying our guys suck they are good NFL players but not enough to match up with elite WRs.. you need someone with size to challenge these guys..

Great post - you might have turned me here. I've been asking (sincerely) why Jeudy is different than the guys like Curtis Samuel, Corey Davis, Kenny Golloday, Nelson Agholor, etc.
Yea he's a much better route runner imo than all of the above. Love his ability to adjust to different type of corners. I think he's much more complete in terms of being a 3 level threat. Like I mentioned above the box score stats indicate a guy who's ready to breakout as well as advanced stats like ypr.
I haven't watched him much, just the highlights - his highlights look really good. Also seems like a good teammate - haven't seen anything of him being the diva, so to speak. If the Pats feel the way you do with him, go get him, exercise the 5th-year option, and hope he's here for the next seven years.

Two questions: Would you give up pick 14 for him (or try to trade down and give the lower 1st-rounder, if possible)?
Yes. I seem to be in the minority but if we're still set on a WR I'd try this route for sure.
Is there any receiver coming out worth that `14 pick? I don't see it.
No. There's no value for a WR at 14 but a fee that are close like Q, JSN, Flowers etc All those guys will grade out early 2nd for me. JSN WR1 with QJ closely after.

I don't know know that Murphy-bunting isn't.. the Injury history is what dropped his value just like any other good player at thier position when they are injured .. he's very much a top quality CB he was part of that defense when Brady won with Tampa.. he's been a day one stater with Tampa. He under BB and mayo on defense would be sensational here.

All I'm saying is he would have been worth the signing even on a prove it 1 yr deal.. So let me ask are you comfortable with the CB depth? Your comfortable with Marcus Jones and or jo Jones on Diggs again? Wilson? Hill & Waddle? I'm not saying our guys suck they are good NFL players but not enough to match up with elite WRs.. you need someone with size to challenge these guys..
I am comfortable, actually. I also wrote something different in my original post, that they will draft a CB. I don't see the point in bringing on a guy who almost no one else wanted. When we have talented guys better than him.

As for Diggs, that was a perfect throw and lay out dive catches. I don't blame the CBs at all on those. Perfectly defended. I think our CBs did great last year and they'll only get better with experience for the 2 Jones's, and a rookie addition. BUT our bigger worry is losing McCourty

I am comfortable, actually. I also wrote something different in my original post, that they will draft a CB. I don't see the point in bringing on a guy who almost no one else wanted. When we have talented guys better than him.

As for Diggs, that was a perfect throw and lay out dive catches. I don't blame the CBs at all on those. Perfectly defended. I think our CBs did great last year and they'll only get better with experience for the 2 Jones's, and a rookie addition. BUT our bigger worry is losing McCourty
I don't disagree with you at all.. I'm just saying we need to be getting better adding depth at areas of need. As far as no one wanting a player we seem to do well with player's no one wants .

No one wanted Rodney either when we signed him in 03 he took less to come here. I've seen enough of a player like Sean Murphy-bunting that he would do good here. We have no answer for Diggs going back to JC Jackson. So all the throws to him are perfect becuase we have no one to challenge him. I'm just being honest. We got lucky alot last season in the secondary. When injuries piled up we got exposed. Our front 7 is what allowed us to make the plays in the secondary we get relentless pressure on the QB. Again I feel a proven vet would be more beneficial this season than anything a rookie can provide unless he's a diamond in the rough.. I'm not opposed to drafting a CB however at 14 don't know who's available..

I don't disagree with you at all.. I'm just saying we need to be getting better adding depth at areas of need. As far as no one wanting a player we seem to do well with player's no one wants .

No one wanted Rodney either when we signed him in 03 he took less to come here. I've seen enough of a player like Sean Murphy-bunting that he would do good here. We have no answer for Diggs going back to JC Jackson. So all the throws to him are perfect becuase we have no one to challenge him. I'm just being honest. We got lucky alot last season in the secondary. When injuries piled up we got exposed. Our front 7 is what allowed us to make the plays in the secondary we get relentless pressure on the QB. Again I feel a proven vet would be more beneficial this season than anything a rookie can provide unless he's a diamond in the rough.. I'm not opposed to drafting a CB however at 14 don't know who's available..
I just wonder tho, if SMB was assessed by teams as being any good, he would've gotten paid.

I disagree on Diggs. We struggled in the past, the team was weaker, but now we have more answers. The D did not struggle against him. They kept him in check compared to previous years. also, what injuries are you referring to? Mills? I thought the total sum of the DBs came through healthy: Dugger, Phillips, McCourty, Marcus Jones, Jon Jones, Jack Jones had a few games missed, Dugger one or two, but by and large they performed well and had great depth.

I just wonder tho, if SMB was assessed by teams as being any good, he would've gotten paid.

I disagree on Diggs. We struggled in the past, the team was weaker, but now we have more answers. The D did not struggle against him. They kept him in check compared to previous years. also, what injuries are you referring to? Mills? I thought the total sum of the DBs came through healthy: Dugger, Phillips, McCourty, Marcus Jones, Jon Jones, Jack Jones had a few games missed, Dugger one or two, but by and large they performed well and had great depth.
They performed well in spots when it was crunch time they had breakdowns... your right the defense absolutely was good. But I'm sorry I have to respectfully disagree on Diggs he went off on us going to back to when we had JC Jackson.. And to be fair to the CB group I don't honestly think anyone we have will stop him or challenge him.. he's just that good.. again when a player is injured alot it takes away from their value as a FA.. jo Jones is a great player for us he didn't have the market Darius slay did..

I'm just saying.. Sean Murphy-bunting would have been a nice pick up either way it went.

Our safeties are great, however they will be in more take charge roles this season with dmac retired. He for the most part ran the defense and allowed those guys to be in position to make plays last season. Yes I'm reffencing Mills, jack Jones when our CB depth got thin we got exposed. I'll agree the throw at Buffalo Allen made was sensational to Diggs.. the game at Foxborough Diggs ate us up.

They performed well in spots when it was crunch time they had breakdowns... your right the defense absolutely was good. But I'm sorry I have to respectfully disagree on Diggs he went off on us going to back to when we had JC Jackson.. And to be fair to the CB group I don't honestly think anyone we have will stop him or challenge him.. he's just that good.. again when a player is injured alot it takes away from their value as a FA.. jo Jones is a great player for us he didn't have the market Darius slay did..

I'm just saying.. Sean Murphy-bunting would have been a nice pick up either way it went.

Our safeties are great, however they will be in more take charge roles this season with dmac retired. He for the most part ran the defense and allowed those guys to be in position to make plays last season. Yes I'm reffencing Mills, jack Jones when our CB depth got thin we got exposed. I'll agree the throw at Buffalo Allen made was sensational to Diggs.. the game at Foxborough Diggs ate us up.
I don't understand why you're referencing Jackson and Diggs. Jackson is gone. Our CBs last year weren't getting burned as in past years with Jackson. But I will say that a guy like Jefferson was much more of a problem than Diggs. I don't think we can stop Jefferson. This is why I want them to take a CB in the draft. There is no big speedy CB available in FA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back