PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Coaching Staff (Not OC/DC)- Upgrades?

The defense was very good all year and just couldn’t match up with Buffalo. They need to fix that, not throw out the defense that allowed the 2nd fewest points and the second lowest % of drives scored upon.

The D did not play well after the bye. That's fact.
Not just vs. Buffalo.
Also vs. Indy and Miami
They lost 4 of 5 after the bye
In those 4 losses the Pats gave up 140 points!
Not the same D after the bye.
I agree they dont need to throw out the defense. It was very good before the bye .
But they need to fix whatever was wrong after it. Plenty was wrong.

The ship is sinking!!! Oh wait, the ship sunk 3 years ago, kinda resurrected '21, now what?
The only facts are that 2009,10 we had no official OC (even though it was BOB) and we did okay - Brady won a MVP.
Add to that '19-21 with no official DC. But all these seasons had big end of the year failures. I think we need clear leadership within units.
How can BB add to the disarray that cost the season on D last year to the Offense?? Seems very irresponsible.

Pats have lost 4 coaches from the offensive side and added one. Sounds like at least a couple more bodies need to be added back. I still hope BOB and his QB guy Godsey are in the mix.

Not just vs. Buffalo.
Also vs. Indy and Miami
I agree they dont need to throw out the defense. It was very good before the bye .
They gave up 19 to Miami and the offense gave them 14.
They gave up 20 to Indy and the st gave up 7.
After bye ashes from the bills games the defense allowed 16.3 ppg.
As I said they were overmatched by the Bills but were overall very good against everyone else.

This is what a true rebuild looks like. We blew our wad last offseason and now we are going to have to retool through the draft for the next 2-3 years and coaches are going to leave for better ops.

The biggest issue is ensuring Mac's development is not harmed beyond repair. Bill has to make him priority #1 or else the rebuild gets reset.

Not just vs. Buffalo.
Also vs. Indy and Miami

If the article is to be believed, the 7 games before the bye had BB acting as the DC. After the Bye, it was a combo of Steve and Mayo.

If the article is to be believed, the 7 games before the bye had BB acting as the DC. After the Bye, it was a combo of Steve and Mayo.
Not only is that not possibly true, it’s also a poor representation/understanding of what the article actually said

This is what a true rebuild looks like. We blew our wad last offseason and now we are going to have to retool through the draft for the next 2-3 years and coaches are going to leave for better ops.

The biggest issue is ensuring Mac's development is not harmed beyond repair. Bill has to make him priority #1 or else the rebuild gets reset.
Cap is going up 40%

Hightower, Mccourty, Van Noy, Agholor's contracts will not be on the books.

We'll go on a massive spending spree next year.

Not only is that not possibly true, it’s also a poor representation/understanding of what the article actually said

I'm not sure who you are, but we need to know who took Ring 6/Andy and replaced him with a calm voice of reason. (If it is one of those alien things where he's being "studied" please ignore this.)

Cap is going up 40%

I doubt it goes up 40%. (80M??) I see $40M as the MAX it increases in 2023.. OverTheCap.com has it projected at an $18M increase. I see it somewhere closer to $25M-$30M. At an $18M increase, OTC has the Pats projected as having $110M in cap space with just 27 players signed. That will definitely change with the addition of Draft picks and extensions.

I doubt it goes up 40%. (80M??) I see $40M as the MAX it increases in 2023.. OverTheCap.com has it projected at an $18M increase. I see it somewhere closer to $25M-$30M. At an $18M increase, OTC has the Pats projected as having $110M in cap space with just 27 players signed. That will definitely change with the addition of Draft picks and extensions.
We're comparing last year to when we signed the FAs to 2 years from now (i.e. not this year's FA market but next year's).

$180m to $250m = 38% increase.

They passed on an opportunity to use this picture instead?!

Is this video real. Looks like hes wearing the same shirt when he weighed 400lbs and now hes skinnny. Size XXXXL

I will need to wait and see what the forum pink hats and doom merchants think before being happy/sad/angry with this move. I'm sure they'll be along shortly.

Cap is going up 40%

McCourty is coming back...probably at a reduced price, but expect him to be back with us next year.

High I believe is gone and probably should retire...he had a great career.

Van Noy I am leaning toward he will be back.

Agholor I am not sure about but believe he will be back as well.

Last edited:
McCourty is coming back...probably at a reduced price, but expect him to be back with us next year.

High I believe is gone and probably should retire...he had a great year.

I agree : Looks like DMac returns.

I dunno if HT had “a great year” but you substitute year for career, I agree. Never a speedster, injuries & age have caught up. But, if he does go, I cannot say enough about him and the importance of his plays in massive spots. Amazing.

I do not necessarily feel VNoy returns, but I do see NA back. He’s young and signed. Could bounce back in ‘22.

Slater, if he leaves, is another player I think was undervalued.

High I believe is gone and probably should retire...he had a great year.

IMO...

McCourty - retires
High - retires
Van Noy - returns
Agholor - traded to Raiders (reunited with Carr and McDaniels)

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back