PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Coaching Staff (Not OC/DC)- Upgrades?

It's interesting that Mike Lombardi said a few days before this latest poaching announcement that it would be Belichick leading the offensive play calling. Pretty sure he already knew his boy Mick was going to Vegas when he said that.

OC = Belichick + Fat Matt + Judge

BIll also lost Zeigler in FO. That's a lot on his plate for a 70 yo.

When people take a lateral move from one organization to another, it’s usually either about a bit more money or to leave a boss they don’t like behind. Your concerns are valid. This is a ton of turnover.
Zeigler got a promotion.
Josh got a promotion.
Hardegree got a promotion.
Lombardi got a promotion.
Bricillo was a lateral move.

Doubt McDaniels is making $20M like Bill, so Raiders can afford to pay their coaches more.

The coaching staff below was demolished by Bilks in playoffs. Good riddance
Plenty of.assisting coaching talent out there to choose from.
I am sure BB does not want to spend his last few years in coaching on losing teams.
I know he is tired of getting his coaches poached on a yearly basis. He has to try to pick no names or people he can trust not to leave after a year. That is why Gase ans Bob are no gos

Zeigler got a promotion.
Josh got a promotion.

The coaching staff below was demolished by Bilks in playoffs. Good riddance
Plenty of.assisting coaching talent out there to choose from.
I am sure BB does not want to spend his last few years in coaching on losing teams.
I know he is tired of getting his coaches poached on a yearly basis. He has to try to pick no names or people he can trust not to leave after a year. That is why Gase ans Bob are no gos

Zeigler got a promotion.
Josh got a promotion.
It was the defensive coaching staff that got demolished. They're all coming back.

Zeigler got a promotion.
Josh got a promotion.

Doubt McDaniels is making $20M like Bill, so Raiders can afford to pay their coaches more.
I was specifically talking about Bricillo. I can see why the other three would follow Josh.

Looks like Rams will suffer a coaching drain as they have since their last SB but are well prepared for it.

Their titles reflected their roles.

On the patriots, Bill is the true OC, DC and game planner.
He hasn’t been the true OC. If he was, then we have bigger problems as this means we have a micro-manager for a head coach.

How many assistant spots do we have to fill?

It was the defensive coaching staff that got demolished. They're all coming back.
true...not good for defense.

I do not think that Lombard, Hardagree or Bricillo were here long enough to prove they are genius savants. I believe the pool of these type of coaches is huge. BB will find someone from his network. I do feel bad for Mac Jones however.

He hasn’t been the true OC. If he was, then we have bigger problems as this means we have a micro-manager for a head coach.
I think Bill needs to understand that he's almost 70 and can't be in two places at once anymore. There really isn't many people to promote right now. He needs to find new blood from somewhere. This isn't going to go well for Mac if Bill is calling the offensive plays while worrying about the defense and special teams.

Now that two more assistants are leaving on offense, BB needs to add some qualified bodies. Hopefully, Popovich will come off covid exile to replace Bricillo. I still hope BB gets BOB as OC, and he takes Godsey along as his QB coach. Having a Patricia/Judge combo calling plays is not my idea of a sound plan.

Bring Popovich back for the line and apologize for being ****s about it.

By “****s”, do you mean the Pats being obligated to follow the “no exceptions” league rule that mandated vaccination for all coaches and team employees? Popovich was given a choice BY THE LEAGUE and he chose to quit rather than get vaccinated. Try again, dummy.

By “****s”, do you mean the Pats being obligated to follow the “no exceptions” league rule that mandated vaccination for all coaches and team employees? Popovich was given a choice BY THE LEAGUE and he chose to quit rather than get vaccinated. Try again, dummy.
Are you now calling the LEAGUE ****s, your eminence? I am.

I think Bill needs to understand that he's almost 70 and can't be in two places at once anymore. There really isn't many people to promote right now. He needs to find new blood from somewhere. This isn't going to go well for Mac if Bill is calling the offensive plays while worrying about the defense and special teams.

It's an irrefutable fact that as we age, our mental acuity erodes. We don't have the requisite level of energy to observe, comprehend and process information at the same speed as we do in our 30s, 40s and 50s. Unless you are Pablo Picasso, a person in their 70s doesn't have the same level of creativity. The human mind is just like a muscle. At some point it gets rigid and inflexible and stops growing- and ultimately becomes static and eventually slows down.

For 20+ years I believe Bill has been the driving force behind the creativity and innovation here and his lieutenants carried out his vision. What I don't know is at his age, does Bill have the same level of innovation and creativity?

I know many on this board hate Fat Matt. Whatever. Fat Matt's value is he know's EXACTLY what Bill wants. So does Judge. So does Mayo and so does BB Jr (s). There is value in that and they have the youth and experience to execute. This goes for the FO as well. Wolf and Groh seem competent....but are they forward-thinkers? Are they innovators? My gut says no.

I'm very comfortable with Bill being the "manager of managers" and overseeing all phases of the op and issuing strategic or tactical directives to competent people. But for that model to be successful he needs time to think things through. Yes he has almost 50+ years of NFL experience to draw from but as the saying goes, if you aren't innovating and being creative then you are falling behind.

My worry is not these FO folks or coaches leaving. This is nothing new. It's Bill slowing down, not raising the level of his staff's ability and becoming an average leader.

Last edited:
Ziegler just fired like 4 raiders front office people yesterday.
You know what that means.

It's an irrefutable fact that as we age, our mental acuity erodes. We don't have the requisite level of energy to observe, comprehend and process information at the same speed as we do in our 30s, 40s and 50s. Unless you are Pablo Picasso, a person in their 70s doesn't have the same level of creativity. The human mind is just like a muscle. At some point it gets rigid and inflexible and stops growing- and ultimately becomes static and eventually slows down.

For 20+ years I believe Bill has been the driving force behind the creativity and innovation here and his lieutenants carried out his vision. What I don't know is at his age, does Bill have the same level of innovation and creativity?

I know many on this board hate Fat Matt. Whatever. Fat Matt's value is he know's EXACTLY what Bill wants. So does Judge. So does Mayo and so does BB Jr (s). There is value in that and they have the youth and experience to execute. This goes for the FO as well. Wolf and Groh seem competent....but are the forward-thinkers? Are they innovators. My gut says no.

I'm very comfortable with Bill being the "manager of managers" and overseeing all phases of the op and issuing strategic or tactical directives to competent people. But for that model to be successful he needs time to think things through. Yes he has almost 50+ years of NFL experience to draw from but as the saying goes, if you aren't innovating and being creative then you are falling behind.

My worry is not these FO folks or coaches leaving. This is nothing new. It's Bill slowing down, not raising the level of his staff's ability and becoming an average leader.
Spot on. I've had the same concern.

Kraft should have plenty of money left over in the coaching salary war chest. Both Patricia and Judge are probably working for pennies, as their salaries are off-set by the five-year contracts they signed with the Lions and Giants respectively.

With McDaniels large salary off the books, Kraft should be able to pay for top line talent (cough, like BOB).

Don't forget that Sean Payton is off in the weeds someplace, he could take over the offense with a BBesque heir apparent deal.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back