PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT-ish: The gambling thread

One of my books is offering San Fran +3

2 emotional bets tonight. Not really good numbers but I’m going for it. Lebron over 31 points. Lakers first q -5

mid they go down big I’ll live ml them.

eventually going to pound them to win the title

Early Kentucky Derby pick... Toledo... chad brown trainee. Runs in the holy bull stakes at gulfstream tomorrow. 5-2 would be a great price

Waste Management Phoenix open

Outright Winner

Bubba Watson risk .75 units (+3000)
Matt Kuchar risk .75 units (+3500)
Webb Simpson 1.5 units (+1400)
Gary woodland +1 unit (+2500)
1st round leader

Brendan Steele risk .5 units (+7000)
Finishing Position

Hideki Matsuyama 18th or better to win 5 units (-130)
Brendan Steele top 10 risk 1 unit (+900)

had to throw a unit on Xander Schauffele at +500 in case he pulls it out. I don’t trust finau. Hopefully Webb can do it for me though

2 emotional bets tonight. Not really good numbers but I’m going for it. Lebron over 31 points. Lakers first q -5

mid they go down big I’ll live ml them.

eventually going to pound them to win the title

Love it is a bet. Hate it as a Celtics fan.

I lost 280 on that game the other night

Yeah these individual games and quarters are really tough against the spread. I was referring to the futures bet of LAL to win it all. I’m a big fan of futures betting because I feel it is more predictable, and the LAL odds haven’t closed in enough. I think they should be about 50/50 to win it all, which is far off from Vegas. I’m just using common sense that LeBron (besides that fluke last year) hasn’t lost to anyone besides an all-time great team in years, and Davis is his best sidekick ever.

Waste Management Phoenix open

Outright Winner

Bubba Watson risk .75 units (+3000)
Matt Kuchar risk .75 units (+3500)
Webb Simpson 1.5 units (+1400)
Gary woodland +1 unit (+2500)
1st round leader

Brendan Steele risk .5 units (+7000)
Finishing Position

Hideki Matsuyama 18th or better to win 5 units (-130)
Brendan Steele top 10 risk 1 unit (+900)

these plus the Schauffele bet today gets me 21 units on In the positive this week. So up just short of 10 units on the year

SB 360 to win 504 49ers ml

20 on mostert first td, kelce first td, and kelce mvp

Orange Gatorade and Mahomes 1st TD made my night.

Otherwise **** that team

Lost my SF moneyline bet. Thanks, Obama.

Lost my SF moneyline bet. Thanks, Obama.

SF was up 10 with the ball and like 8 minutes left, folllowing Mahomes second INT. That’s a bad beat.

SF was up 10 with the ball and like 8 minutes left, folllowing Mahomes second INT. That’s a bad beat.
Yeah, that one stings. What hurts even more is that we’re still a full two months away from baseball.

I live bet $35 on KC as they were +300 or something. Worth a shot since I have some money on SF ML.

Most of my $$ were on the stupid prop bets which actually worked this year

Ok so the final game of the season is in and the Picker went out on a winning note.

So overall it did well:

SB Week Result:
ATS: 1-0
SU: 1-0

Season Results:
ATS: 107-93-4 (54%) +4.7 units
SU: 118-86 (58%)

The picker had a solid season, as any gambler knows winning over the course of the season is extremely hard, going 54% against the spread when picking every single game every week (from week 5 on) is damn near impossible for a person to do. So overall I am happy with the results of the system. But I have some curiosities, and will need a few more seasons of data to see if they are anomalies or if the system just has a weakness in those areas.

For instance the 3 point area being 27%. At first glance you probably think well yeah 3 point games is basically a pick 'em, well that is true but 27% is so far off from the under 3 point (58%) and 4 point (48%) games that it just makes no sense. It performed best in the 5 point range going 60%. It performed at basically the season average in the 8+ range, which is a bit disappointing as that should be the sweet spot of games to go with each week.

What I find head scratching is that it did so well in the under 3 point games at 58%, which is also the category which had the most games, actually it accounted for 43% of the games. But overall hard to be unhappy with the results.

Thank you all for the feedback over the course of the season and being cordial about it. I would like to get some further feedback from you guys. Please see the questions below, these are just some generic questions toss me any feedback you think maybe useful. If for whatever reason you don't want to post your feedback in this thread, feel free to message me.

1. I would appreciate any constructive feedback on it positive/negative
2. I would also be interested to hear how you incorporated it (if at all) into your weekly plays
3. How many people found it useful to some degree
4. Any thoughts on how it can used on other platforms

Here is the SB result and the season breakdown:
SB_picks.JPG
spread_diff_breakdown_sb.JPG

And we are back with another week of golf picks. Webb Simpson outright win bet put us in the positives for the year. Hideki Matsuyama 18th or better helped increase that positive number. By my calculations we are +9.75 units

ATT Pebble Beach Pro Am

Outright winners

Jason Day risk 1.5 units (+1800)
Brandt Snedeker risk 1 unit (+2000)
Max Homa risk .5 units (+4500)
Jimmy Walker risk .5 units (+14500)
First Round Leader

Jordan Speith risk .5 units (+3200)
Phil Mickelson risk .75 units (+1800)
Finishing Position

Mickelson risk 1 unit (+250)
Day 21st or better to win 5 units (-125)

Last edited:
Ok so the final game of the season is in and the Picker went out on a winning note.

So overall it did well:

SB Week Result:
ATS: 1-0
SU: 1-0

Season Results:
ATS: 107-93-4 (54%) +4.7 units
SU: 118-86 (58%)

The picker had a solid season, as any gambler knows winning over the course of the season is extremely hard, going 54% against the spread when picking every single game every week (from week 5 on) is damn near impossible for a person to do. So overall I am happy with the results of the system. But I have some curiosities, and will need a few more seasons of data to see if they are anomalies or if the system just has a weakness in those areas.

For instance the 3 point area being 27%. At first glance you probably think well yeah 3 point games is basically a pick 'em, well that is true but 27% is so far off from the under 3 point (58%) and 4 point (48%) games that it just makes no sense. It performed best in the 5 point range going 60%. It performed at basically the season average in the 8+ range, which is a bit disappointing as that should be the sweet spot of games to go with each week.

What I find head scratching is that it did so well in the under 3 point games at 58%, which is also the category which had the most games, actually it accounted for 43% of the games. But overall hard to be unhappy with the results.

Thank you all for the feedback over the course of the season and being cordial about it. I would like to get some further feedback from you guys. Please see the questions below, these are just some generic questions toss me any feedback you think maybe useful. If for whatever reason you don't want to post your feedback in this thread, feel free to message me.

1. I would appreciate any constructive feedback on it positive/negative
2. I would also be interested to hear how you incorporated it (if at all) into your weekly plays
3. How many people found it useful to some degree
4. Any thoughts on how it can used on other platforms

Here is the SB result and the season breakdown:
View attachment 26041
View attachment 26042

Thanks for posting about this...I find it interesting.

Hitting 54% is definitely very good but not enough to turn a profit. But anyone who turns a profit would not be betting on every game anyway. Which is why the 54% number may be much more impressive in that context.

Can you find a sample size of, say, your most confident games (where your predictor diverged from the spread the most) and check the percentage on that?

My last day in Vegas (been here for 2 weeks for work) just put $50 on the Pats to win the SB next year (14-1).

And we are back with another week of golf picks. Webb Simpson outright win bet put us in the positives for the year. Hideki Matsuyama 18th or better helped increase that positive number. By my calculations we are +9.75 units

ATT Pebble Beach Pro Am

Outright winners

Jason Day risk 1.5 units (+1800)
Brandt Snedeker risk 1 unit (+2000)
Max Homa risk .5 units (+4500)
Jimmy Walker risk .5 units (+14500)
First Round Leader

Jordan Speith risk .5 units (+3200)
Phil Mickelson risk .75 units (+1800)
Finishing Position

Mickelson risk 1 unit (+250)
Day 21st or better to win 5 units (-125)

dissapointing that Day couldn’t pull out the win. But this week is another profitable week. Looks like +2.75 units for the week bringing the grand total to +12.50

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back