PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Only two running backs on the roster / Pats need a RB

Status
Not open for further replies.
At this point, the Pats need a running back with some size who also has a good working knowledge of the offense. Although he didn't exactly wow them in training camp, Gillislee is the one back who fills both needs.

Gillislee can pass block (and knows the plays, etc.). I don't know that about the other RBs available. I think, first and foremost, "do no harm".

At this point, the Pats need a running back with some size who also has a good working knowledge of the offense. Although he didn't exactly wow them in training camp, Gillislee is the one back who fills both needs.

Gillislee does have decent size, though he isn't all that "big" compared to other Pats RBs. He measured 5111 pre-draft and weighed 208 (at this point, maybe 210-215).

Michel measured 5105/214 at the Combine, and Burkhead is about the same size as Sony. Popular "binky" Darkwa is also in that size range at 5110/210-215.

White and Barner are both smaller guys in the 5091/200-205 range.

Hill is big ... 6010/225-230.

Webb can't pass protect. Gillislee can.

Webb can't pass protect. Gillislee can.
...and that is an area Sony is improving but has a bit of a ways to go.

Maybe Gil is the right move over Darkwa

Seriously.. if the issue is garbage time reps.. WTF not hand off to cordy ? Belichick is all about versatility... Give the reps to a guy you want to utilize more with ball in his hands. ..!!!!

Oh crap.. making too much sense again... Hate that..:D

I understand why fans are intrigued by Darkwa. He is "more unknown" than Gillisilee which is exciting because it implies a theoretical upside. On the other hand the coaching staff will be much more interested in the floor not the ceiling that the backup RB provides.

You don't want to lose games because a backup screws up a blitz pickup or fumbles a ball. That being said with them bringing in Coleman and Gordon this year I stopped trying to predict things.

...and that is an area Sony is improving but has a bit of a ways to go.

Michel has been excellent in pass pro, particularly for a rookie.

Darkwa is a pretty good pass protector as well. Neither is a bad option. But I think if Darkwa was going to happen, it already would have happened.

Regarding Darkwa vs Gillislee: why not bring Both to Foxborough for a workout tomorrow, then choose the more impressive one?

BTW, Darkwa is listed on Rotoworld at 219# while GillyGilly is listed at 210.

Darkwa's workout #s pre-draft:
Orleans Darkwa | Tulane, RB : 2014 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile

GillyGilly's pre-draft #s:
Mike Gillislee | Florida, RB : 2013 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile

I realize that a lot can change over the course of 4-5 years, but:
Darkwa was SUPERIOR in EVERY measurable to GillyGilly (with near-identical 10-yard splits & bench press)...
...and he's younger, by over a year...
...and last year he ran for 4.4 ypc behind the Lousy NY Vagiants OL whereas GillyGilly ran for 3.7 ypc behind ours...
...and Darkwa has Never lost a fumble in 246 carries whereas GillyGilly has lost 2 in 258.

Bottom line: unless matters have drastically changed, Give me Orleans Darkwa over GillyGilly every day of the week, Especially on Sundays.

Last edited:
Patriots have already contacted Gillislee. He will be in a Patriots uniform by Tuesday the latest

Regarding Darkwa vs Gillislee: why not bring Both to Foxborough for a workout tomorrow, then choose the more impressive one?

BTW, Darkwa is listed on Rotoworld at 219# while GillyGilly is listed at 210.

Darkwa's workout #s pre-draft:

GillyGilly's pre-draft #s:

I realize that a lot can change over the course of 4-5 years, but:
Darkwa was SUPERIOR in EVERY measurable to GillyGilly (with near-identical 10-yard splits & bench press)...
...and he's younger, by over a year...
...and last year he ran for 4.4 ypc behind the Lousy NY Vagiants OL whereas GillyGilly ran for 3.7 ypc behind ours...
...and Darkwa has Never lost a fumble in 246 carries whereas GillyGilly has lost 2 in 258.

Bottom line: unless matters have drastically changed, Give me Orleans Darkwa over GillyGilly every day of the week, and Twice on Sundays.

Darkwa also has extensive ST experience, including coverage units, which Gillislee does not.

And yet, he can't seem to get job anywhere in the league. Pats have had him in for TWO workouts. Maybe it's a conditioning issue, or an injury issue that we're not aware of?

Michel has been excellent in pass pro, particularly for a rookie.

Darkwa is a pretty good pass protector as well. Neither is a bad option. But I think if Darkwa was going to happen, it already would have happened.
Sony allowed a hurry v the Dolts. He's been fine and solid for a rookie but excellent is a stretch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes