Status
Not open for further replies.

tasmlab

Starting QB, won 20 SBs, number is retired
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Only two running backs on the roster

So, just two running backs on the roster. I've never seen this before.

Both White and Michel are starters, and they don't even exactly play the same position really. They aren't each other's back ups in a practical sense.

Big danger if somebody goes down.

And then how long are we going to play them to death without any relief?

Is there guys available to at least take over running 3 yards per play during the fourth quarter after the game is safely in hand?

I'm really interested to see what Bill is thinking/planning on.

Anybody got this figured out already?

Last edited by a moderator:
Comments:

1.) Like others have said: We have Barner sitting by the phone and Webb on the PS.

2.) We also have Develin...if we need someone in a pinch...and maybe Patterson too.

3.) I am hoping the Saints will cut Gillislee….I'd like to bring back Gilly to back up Michel/White.

So, just two running backs on the roster. I've never seen this before.

Both White and Michel are starters, and they don't even exactly play the same position really. They aren't each other's back ups in a practical sense.

Big danger if somebody goes down.

And then how long are we going to play them to death without any relief?

Is there guys available to at least take over running 3 yards per play during the fourth quarter after the game is safely in hand?

I'm really interested to see what Bill is thinking/planning on.

Anybody got this figured out already?
I assume they will work in adding a rb during the long week.
I would imagine it will be someone who can help on special teams since they will probably be active.
I think Michel and whites workloads are fine but agree we should have a tackling dummy to put in during blowouts.

CapSpace=$1,660,207 (@patscap) | Twitter

Not a lot of wiggle room to add someone new

Promoting Webb adds hits the cap for around $330k. Re-signing Barner costs around $433k (I think).

I'm not really sure why the Pats would need/want to trade for someone when Barner is already familiar with the Pats system and seems decent enough to be an emergency backup.

Anyway, there's 8 more days until the Pats play the Chiefs. Plenty of time to sort things out and make moves.

the saints #1 RB (ingram) is coming back from suspension too, very possible the saint cut G, and if so, I'm sure it will take no time for him to be on a plane this way

Yea I don't like it one bit there is only Sony and Sweet Feet as "runners".

They need a 220lb-er back there or Rite Aid Rex hopefully should be back but to keep him on the field they'll need to put him in one of those bubble wrap or blow-up Sumo wrestler suits.

We Need A Running Back

We cannot expect Michel to carry the entire 1st and 2nd down RB load for the rest of the season and through the playoffs. At very least, we need a backup that we trust to start and carry the ENTIRE load if Michel is ever injured. Better would be to have someone to share the load a bit.

And just BTW, we don't have a backup to White.

The bottom line is that we are playing without two backups.

EVEN IF the plan is to continue to give all the reps to Michel and White, we still need backups who knows the system and is ready to competently step in if needed.

Last edited:
We cannot expect Michel to carry the entire 1st and 2nd down RB load for the rest of the season and through the playoffs. At very least, we need a backup that we trust to start and carry the ENTIRE load if Michel is ever injured. Better would be to have someone to share the load a bit.

And just BTW, we don't have a backup to White.

The bottom line is that we are playing without two backups.

EVEN IF the plan is to continue to give all the reps to Michel and White, we still need backups who knows the system and is ready to competently step in if needed.

The Pats are headed into week-6/game #6. Burkhead is eligible to begin practicing with the team in week-10 and be re-activated for week-13/game #12 after the BYE (December 2nd game v. Minny). IOW, Michel & White won't necessarily need to shoulder the load for the entire rest of the season and through the playoffs.

Meanwhile, it's difficult to know how much further the Pats are willing and able to go (beyond Barner) for the sake of adding and carrying reserve/relief RBs for the next six games.

While I would feel much more comfortable if there were four RBs on the roster, Barner may be okay as a third, for now (I'm assuming that he'll be brought back this week). But the pickins beyond him may be slim at the moment. There may be some free agents out there who simply aren't healthy enough right now (e.g., possibly Darkwa), and more opportunities might begin to present themselves as the trade deadline approaches.

There are only three more games between now and the trade deadline on Oct. 30th. Burkhead would be eligible to begin practicing the week after that. At some point during this interval, the Pats should have a "go/no-go" read on Burkhead's prognosis (if they don't already).

I wouldn’t mind barner back here, he can also return punts so we can get jules outta there. But it definitely is a risk expecting michel to carry it 20+ times over a 16 game nfl season

I think that Belichick believes that we can find a RB anywhere. Apparently, he is OK just picking one off the wire if needed. The risk with having one backup has been discussed. We have lost two without replacement.

We are kidding ourselves if we think that our game plan and offense isn't considerably affected if Michel or White is hurt even for a series. The Belichick mantra is that we always have someone who can step in and step up. What was supposed to happen in the last game? Would Michel or White have been expected to play 100% of the offensive reps?

We love our back of the roster STers, DB's and DE's. IMHO, we would do better to take out some insurance at RB (and/or at LB). Possible waivers might include Grissom, Crossen, Cy Jones, Davis and even Rivers (although Rivers might still be injured). BTW, would we notice if none of these five players were on the roster for the rest of the year (except for being on the Inactive list)?

But I keep hearing you can find a RB anywhere.

Last edited:
I think that Belichick believes that we can find a RB anywhere. Apparently, he is OK just picking one off the wire if needed.

Hmmm .... I concluded just the opposite - that he's maybe been too selective.

Hill was injured on the 9th of September; Burkhead on the 3oth.

Since the 5th of September, he's had Barner, Dayes, Ripkowski, Darkwa (his 2nd visit since April), Sims, Ellington and West in for tryouts, most of them since Hill was injured. He's also had Webb on the PSquad since cutdowns, and had Farrow on the PSquad from September 12th through the 20th. Apparently, none were acceptable.

He's stuck with Barner as a temporary fill-in, and the Pats have played every game except this last one with at least three RBs active.

I have to think that Caserio and his staff have been doing their jobs and been continuously exploring numerous acquisition options for RBs. It's also possible that they feel (as someone else posted) that Gillislee is likely to be cut by the Saints soon and that he's their best bet for a backup (since he knows the system at the very least).

I seriously doubt that the Pats go into the KCY game next Sunday with only two active RBs.

Does anyone think we should make a trade for a running back and if so who?

A classic candidate for a trade would be Ameer Abdullah. Seems to be down the depth chart, the obvious Pats/Lions connection.

Obviously would need a restructure first to create some space but thats not a hurdle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes