PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Running Backs (Five-Headed Monster)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Five-Headed Monster

don't worry.....by week 10 we will be down to 2.......Burkhead can't carry anything closely resembling a full load over a prolonged stretch......same with Michel......White is a 3rd down back and JJ does not appear to have the physical magnitude to be full time, either....plus, he's doing KR......as for Harris, he needs to step onto the field in a real game before anything can be determined

Agree he needs to resume life, but I wouldn't call football an escape. It'll be a stabilizer and regulator. We all need that.
He's still got peeps in the hospital, right? He'll want to get that stabilized but then probably will return fairly quickly after.
I agree, though none of those things are mutually exclusive. When I battled depression, photography was an escape, stabilizer and regulator.

They were okay week one, horrible week two, and great week three. I think this RB group falls somewhere in the middle as an average group of running backs.
Agree completely with the last sentence. Football is week-to-week.

Is there any word on how White's mom is doing?

Is there any word on how White's mom is doing?
I haven't been able to find much when I looked into it. I thought I would have been able to since I live in S. FL, but nothing yet.

Why Harris?

I dont want him taking carries away from Taylor who is going to be a deadly weapon the way hes going. Taylor dropped a TD catch because he started running before catching the ball. A rookie mistake. The Pats had him out in space where he is going do damage.

Cam should be # 5.

Sony 173 yards
Cam 149
Rex 83
JJT 70
White 22 out 2 games.

Your opening line is not entirely true, and either way not really related to my post.

It is absolutely true and thinking that just because you came out of your own issues a certain way it means zilch for others.

What people need is empathy and support and not someone telling them that what they should do just because of someone else's anectodal experience.

If he will be back this week then great. If he takes a couple weeks or the year off then so be it. It is just football / a job. Especially for him it is absolutely irrelevant in the bigger picture.

If only we could combine them all into one person.

I don't get it (this post may be sarcasm which I'm fine with but the broader point has been made in all seriousness). An aspect of the team is working well, producing on the field, is cost effective, and provides a bulwark against injury, fatigue, and multiple types of defenses.

Yet a large number of people still are only satisfied with the superstar. That's the only solution: a single player that will cost significant amounts against the cap, if injured massively degrades the entire team, and can get tired during the course of a single game.

I'm not saying the Patriots don't need superstars...they absolutely do - and have them. They just don't need them at every single position...even at every skill position. More so if the combined stats of the many equal that of the one...and it leads to wins...what exactly has the team lost?

There is one FACT about James White:
Maybe more than any other Patriot I can think of and that includes all the coaches, yes Bill too, James ALWAYS does the right thing. If you've taken the time to research his background, you know this. Hes actually been living the mythical "Patriot Way" since he was a small child. He learned it from his Dad, a decorated police officer, among other things.
I have never given a thought to him coming back. Whenever he does, it will be the right time. Belichick knows this better than all of us. Contrary to what some fans think, Bill does not treat every player the same. Never has. What he runs is a meritocracy. And from what ive heard, White has earned the right to decide when he comes back. Because Belichick knows he'll make the right decision.

Why Harris?

I dont want him taking carries away from Taylor who is going to be a deadly weapon the way hes going. Taylor dropped a TD catch because he started running before catching the ball. A rookie mistake. The Pats had him out in space where he is going do damage.

Cam should be # 5.

Sony 173 yards
Cam 149
Rex 83
JJT 70
White 22 out 2 games.

I suppose Harris MIGHT be active if White isn't back. IMO, we have a 3 headed monster (as usual). We have Burkhead, Michel and the 3rd down back (White if and when he returns). Bill may decide whether Harris or Taylor should be active. Given, that he is a returner, Taylor should keep Harris inactive.

I suppose Harris MIGHT be active if White isn't back. IMO, we have a 3 headed monster (as usual). We have Burkhead, Michel and the 3rd down back (White if and when he returns). Bill may decide whether Harris or Taylor should be active. Given, that he is a returner, Taylor should keep Harris inactive.
Sitting Taylor would be a huge mistake.

This guy needs to see the field as much as possible.

It is absolutely true and thinking that just because you came out of your own issues a certain way it means zilch for others.

What people need is empathy and support and not someone telling them that what they should do just because of someone else's anectodal experience.

If he will be back this week then great. If he takes a couple weeks or the year off then so be it. It is just football / a job. Especially for him it is absolutely irrelevant in the bigger picture.
Again no, it's not entirely (and definitely not absolutely) true and you insisting it is won't make it so. And never did I offer any specific way for James White to deal with James White's grief. What I did say was he must eventually find normalcy in his life. That's a fact for any and everyone after a tragedy. If that's football, then great. If it isn't, then great. And again, I'm opining that I think he will return this season, not whether or not he should return this season. Never did I say returning to football is the only way for him to resume life. That's what you inferred about my original post, and again, you're wrong. I'll let James White tell me what football means to him if I ever get a chance to speak with him. I hardly think you're qualified to speak for him.

How could you possibly be so obtuse? Did you actually even try to understand what I posted, or were you just anxious to respond? Because I'm pretty sure that's almost exactly what I said?

EDIT: Just re-read the exact post to which you responded and still cannot see how you're missing what I'm saying? It's bizarre... but then again not really. I've seen this before you with you. I'll leave it be. If you missed it then and in this response, it's simply because you want to show your vastly superior intellect, and that's fine. I'll carry on with my life and wish you well.

Last edited:
I love how they are all getting the same number of snaps in the sense that everyone stays fresh, less likely to get injured, and when one or some go down, they shouldn't miss a beat.

It probably also means we don't have anything resembling a star back like many teams have, but I can live with it.

Why Harris?

Cam should be # 5.

Sony 173 yards
Cam 149
Rex 83
JJT 70
White 22 out 2 games.
Why Harris ? If (and I have no way of knowing) he is better than the lot of them, he should play.

Why Harris ? If (and I have no way of knowing) he is better than the lot of them, he should play.
Why Harris? Because RBs get banged up, Burkhead and Michel in particular.

We have an advantage over most other teams in that we can run out a fresh set of legs on every single play of a game.

James White is apparently back already.

Sure, IF and only IF, he is better than the lot of them, he should play. Personally, I don't see him being active unless there is an injury. It is plenty to have Burkhead, Michel, White, Taylor and Johnson. I just don't SIX active players at RB/FB. Five is a lot.

I suppose Harris COULD be active instead of Taylor, if we are willing to give up on Taylor as a returner.

Sure, IF and only IF, he is better than the lot of them, he should play. Personally, I don't see him being active unless there is an injury. It is plenty to have Burkhead, Michel, White, Taylor and Johnson. I just don't SIX active players at RB/FB. Five is a lot.

I suppose Harris COULD be active instead of Taylor, if we are willing to give up on Taylor as a returner.
I’d play him and bench Taylor if (and only if) he’s superior to the other RBs.

Sony Michel ruled out, so that solves the too-many-backs problem for this week at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes