PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Only two running backs on the roster / Pats need a RB

Status
Not open for further replies.
A classic candidate for a trade would be Ameer Abdullah. Seems to be down the depth chart, the obvious Pats/Lions connection.

Obviously would need a restructure first to create some space but thats not a hurdle.

Abdullah's remaining 2018 salary would hit the Pats cap space for only about $658k. They currently have about $1,660k in cap space.

Not a big fan of Abdullah due to his ball security issues (which are not as bad as they once were, but still). OTOH, he did post a pretty good YPA in 2015 and 2016 (until he broke his foot in the second game), running behind an OL that couldn't run-block to save their Moms' lives. When Abdullah came back in 2017, he wasn't really the same running the ball, but could still dumpoffs pretty well at least.

He certainly seems superfluous on the Lions' roster as the 5th RB who's been inactive every game so far this season. Probably wouldn't require more than a 7th-rounder to rent him for the rest of the season (or until Burkhead returns).

Abdullah's remaining 2018 salary would hit the Pats cap space for only about $658k. They currently have about $1,660k in cap space.

Not a big fan of Abdullah due to his ball security issues (which are not as bad as they once were, but still). OTOH, he did post a pretty good YPA in 2015 and 2016 (until he broke his foot in the second game), running behind an OL that couldn't run-block to save their Moms' lives. When Abdullah came back in 2017, he wasn't really the same running the ball, but could still dumpoffs pretty well at least.

He certainly seems superfluous on the Lions' roster as the 5th RB who's been inactive every game so far this season. Probably wouldn't require more than a 7th-rounder to rent him for the rest of the season (or until Burkhead returns).

I mean we are essentially looking for a reliever / injury backup. Most probably it will end up being Webb anyway.

I mean we are essentially looking for a reliever / injury backup. Most probably it will end up being Webb anyway.

Could be. AFAIK, the Saints haven't officially activated Ingram yet, so, if they're cutting Gillislee, it might not happen until later today or tomorrow. Other teams may also make some roster adjustments involving RBs over the weekend, or even on Monday.

The Pats really don't need to make a move on an RB until Wednesday before practice. I'd say that the odds are high that they'll go with someone familiar with the system, one way or another.

Hill was a brutal loss. Would have been a great complement to Michel.
We would have a 3 headed monster right now.

I want to see Ralph Webb get a shot.

We need a non-White / non-Michel to soak up garbage time carries. (I don't expect this will be a necessity for KC though.)

And on the subject of Burkhead, I understand the appeal of his versatility, but I get this feeling that time and again the Patriots are having to scramble to adjust their gameplan on the fly because he's gotten knocked out of yet another game. It's that thing about ability vs. reliability.

Brandon Bolden would be a nice player to have around right about now.

Sign the (last remaining) Beast Orleans Darkwa NOW, Bill.

I've liked the idea ever since he worked out here over the offseason. I'd still rather him than the newly available Gillislee.

Cyrus waived (again). Gillislee now available.

Sign the (last remaining) Beast Orleans Darkwa NOW, Bill.

The Pats had him in for a tryout twice - April 9th, and then again on September 11th. The rumor is that he still wasnt quite healthy yet in September (I forget what his injury was - maybe a hammy?).

Need a goal line Back, Gillislee can serve that purpose. Sign the beast Bill.

Last edited:
Brandon Bolden would be a nice player to have around right about now.
All I ever read about him here was how he he sucked. Of course, most Pats are described that way at one time or another here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe