PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Day Thread Official Post Game Thread- Pats beat the Titans

THIS IS OUR LIVE GAME DAY THREAD:

This is where we gather to follow things on Game Day. Obviously, emotions tend to be high so if anyone gets a little crazy, the use of the “Mute” button is encouraged on anyone who may be annoying to you to control your experience and to allow the moderators to also enjoy the game.

At the same time, please take a deep breath before over-reacting for the sake of making this a pleasant experience for everyone.

In hindsight, Id have kept A. Butler over him. Much better pass-rusher, just as ok in the run game.
Wow. You want an example of getting pushed out off the LOS in the run game - that's Butler. His run defense was based on penetration which in team D leaves huge holes for others to fill - and Butler vs double teams...c'mon...seriously?

He was in there a bunch yesterday. Watching some of the replays he got fooled big time on a couple of the delayed draws which were big gainers. They were in a 3-3-5. Is it what it is.
I got the impression that some posters thought that he was healthy but was being held out.

I got the impression that some posters thought that he was healthy but was being held out.
I have no idea where they received that info. He showed up on the injury report but come game time played his usual amount of snaps.

And some guys just aren't leaders...and that too is okay if they produce statistically and are not "anarchists" (non-leaders).

The issue is you do have to have some leaders regardless...some may by example...others by charisma...others by knowledge...others by mitigation....etc, etc. Hopefully Duggar is both player and leader, but as you stated - that is yet to be determined (nor expected).

Agree completely, but there is also existing leaders to take into account. You can be an exceptional young ST player on this team but there is also Slater, Bethel, and Adrian Philips to consider, Gunner will one day be a leader, but sometimes the mantle has to be passed.

Overall this is one of the most interesting issues to me as they transition from the past dynasty to being a contender going forward. Replacing all this championship leaders and creating new ones who have that same quality is central to being a great team year in and year out. Slater, White, Hightower, McCourty, and possibly Guy are all leaders who are at or close to the end of their careers, and those units are the ones where new leaders have to emerge, and some are clearly in waiting. Gunner on ST’s, Harris at RB, Judon at LB, Duggar, Jones, and JC Jackson in the secondary.

I think Andrews is the leader of the OL, and both Smith and Henry will lead at TE. And as much criticism as has been leveled at WR they have good young leaders in Bourne and Meyers. And obviously Mac Jones will be a leader both at QB and offensively.

The more I look at it the better I feel about their future, it’s much easier to develop incoming players into the systems if you have really strong leadership in every unit, and the Patriots are loaded with it, both now and going forward.

Bedard just did a film study on the JC Jackson forced fumble after a 30 yd run. There were 2 keys to why that play was so wide open at first. The first was Carl Davis. You want to know why such a big powerful dude isn't getting many snaps. Watch this play and you'll understand. Davis is too strong to get moved off the ball, but he lacks any 2 gap technique. On that play the Titan C (and he's a good one) completely turns Davis. In other words on a play designed to go over the LG, Davis winds up in the right C/G gap moving up field BEHIND the ball. That leaves a huge gap for Hightower to fill. He meets the LG at the LOS which shows good recognition, but the gap is too big and the RB goes inside High. Now the 2nd goat (the bad kind( of this play IMHO was Bentley. He takes a bad (flat) angle and fails to fill the open gap. In fact he gets blown up by the RG and pushed down the field, when he needs to power past the G and UP into the left C/G gap, BTW that's my commentary not Bedard's.

Bedard focused on Davis and the fact that DMac made a very subtle contribution to the play by forcing the RB back inside to where JC could attack the ball..

So bottom line the key fault with this play lies with Davis with an assist from Bentley. That's all it takes to create a big negative play that turned positive at the end

PS, on the video showing him and Brady on the bench that day, I didn't see anything about "get out there and sling it" but who knows. (They spliced in the video in the same commercial as Tom telling the story, if memory serves. And I am sure memory serves, I was sitting right here with my buddies Pensylvester and Mr. Poopy Butthole.)

Bedard just did a film study on the JC Jackson forced fumble after a 30 yd run. There were 2 keys to why that play was so wide open at first. The first was Carl Davis. You want to know why such a big powerful dude isn't getting many snaps. Watch this play and you'll understand. Davis is too strong to get moved off the ball, but he lacks any 2 gap technique. On that play the Titan C (and he's a good one) completely turns Davis. In other words on a play designed to go over the LG, Davis winds up in the right C/G gap moving up field BEHIND the ball. That leaves a huge gap for Hightower to fill. He meets the LG at the LOS which shows good recognition, but the gap is too big and the RB goes inside High. Now the 2nd goat (the bad kind( of this play IMHO was Bentley. He takes a bad (flat) angle and fails to fill the open gap. In fact he gets blown up by the RG and pushed down the field, when he needs to power past the G and UP into the left C/G gap, BTW that's my commentary not Bedard's.

Bedard focused on Davis and the fact that DMac made a very subtle contribution to the play by forcing the RB back inside to where JC could attack the ball..

So bottom line the key fault with this play lies with Davis with an assist from Bentley. That's all it takes to create a big negative play that turned positive at the end
Thank God for JC pickin' up that trash. It was a game changer. And woulda been a BAD gamechanger if he hadnt.

Huh? The Pats won that game and it was not that close. All those yards and points were in junk time. That game was not as close as the score indicates.

Sorry I wasn't more clear: The game to which I was referring in parentheses was Super Bowl 46 at the end of the 2011 season.

...who just lost their All-Pro CB.

The "Yea buts" never stop for fans looking hard enough for them.

Beating crap/injured teams by 3 touchdowns means the superior team took care of business in convincing fashion.

Every team has lost a player or two, even the Pats who have been relatively free from serious injuries. Tennessee’s injuries were worse than just one player. Their three best offensive players were out, plus several others.

No one thinks the Pats aren’t a good team. They are. But there’s a fair amount of room for improvement. I’d bet Bill would agree.

Beat the Bills in Buffalo and you‘re cooking with gas.

Always a good read by Reiss: cleaning out the notebook after the Titans game:

I especially agree with points 4, 5 & 8... Pats' edge-setting (where Hank Anderson might've helped) & gap-control responsibilities must be better than they were on Sunday, not only for Monday night but for the rest of the year too...
And Myles Bryant had maybe his worst game of the season since he replaced Jonathan Jones as Slot CB... That situation will now have to be monitored more closely than it had been previously.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back