PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Day Thread Official Post Game Thread- Pats beat the Titans

THIS IS OUR LIVE GAME DAY THREAD:

This is where we gather to follow things on Game Day. Obviously, emotions tend to be high so if anyone gets a little crazy, the use of the “Mute” button is encouraged on anyone who may be annoying to you to control your experience and to allow the moderators to also enjoy the game.

At the same time, please take a deep breath before over-reacting for the sake of making this a pleasant experience for everyone.

With almost 60 in the 4th quarter with the game in hand.
I thought games were 60 minutes? I thought running effectively when ahead was a huge part of a running game.
I thought this was a team that game planned and took what the defense gave them.
36 points and 1 punt.

Watch the film on Trent Brown last Sunday.
I have. I've watched it regularly. But please, WOW us with your prowess. Your initial attempt at comparisons was umm, how shall we say, ridiculous. Putting it mildly..

I rewatched the game and we did a decent job stopping the run early in the game when we committed to it. We started what looked like a 3-4 to start the game with Guy/Davis/Godchaux upfront and Van Noy and Judon as the olbs. Very effective and then we changed it up with mixed results. We knew they were going to run but we clearly underestimated their commitment to running. The majority of their big runs came on 3rd&4+ when we clearly expected a pass. Our defense would go to a whole new level if we had a lb that could tackle the way Mayo could. Hightower and Bentley are okay but both of them leave a little to be desired.

That one long td run they had really showcased McCourty's decline this season. He makes that tackle 100% of the time any other season. This game and the one against Houston concerns me. Between McCourty and Chung over years, I'm just not used to missed tackles that lead to those long runs. We've been spoiled.

Our offense is still growing. We bashed our heads against the wall running when it seems we had no problem moving it through the air. The main thing that stood out to me is the lack of screens. The few screens we threw were very effective and it seems we could've threw bubble screens to Agohlor whenever we wanted since they gave him a decent cushion all game. There was one play that I didn't notice until I rewatched. It was the one where Mac threw too high to Henry but the play looks like it definitely should've went to Agholor after Meyers set a pick for him. There are little things in this offense that leads me to think it could be better than some years under Brady. Super well rounded.

I'm curious how the game would've went if they had AJ Brown. Their passing game was crippled without him. I honestly think they benefitted not having Henry this game. They ripped long runs off when we seemingly let our guard down. Our focus would never dwindle when Henry is on the field.

I rewatched the game and we did a decent job stopping the run early in the game when we committed to it. We started what looked like a 3-4 to start the game with Guy/Davis/Godchaux upfront and Van Noy and Judon as the olbs. Very effective and then we changed it up with mixed results. We knew they were going to run but we clearly underestimated their commitment to running. The majority of their big runs came on 3rd&4+ when we clearly expected a pass. Our defense would go to a whole new level if we had a lb that could tackle the way Mayo could. Hightower and Bentley are okay but both of them leave a little to be desired.

No. The Patriots didn't underestimate anything. They WANTED Tennessee to run the ball. They wanted to take the ball out of Tannehill's hands. After Tannehill started 7-7, that was clear. The Pats felt that their lighter package would give up some stuff, but once Tenn got inside the RedZone, the Pats RedZone package would shut them down.. And it did. Tannehill finished the game 4-14 including a Red Zone interception.

That one long td run they had really showcased McCourty's decline this season. He makes that tackle 100% of the time any other season. This game and the one against Houston concerns me. Between McCourty and Chung over years, I'm just not used to missed tackles that lead to those long runs. We've been spoiled.
Go back and rewatch that play.

On the Snap, Judon and Wise rush as does Barmore, who gets turned and tied up with Jones. Judon draws a double-team with the RT and TE. The RG moves forward looking to engage Van Noy. Dugger kinda stands there, frozen, not sure what to do since his assignment is the TE.
The LG engages and HOLDS Hightower. Phillips, instead of staying where he was, decides to crash down. DMac has slid over to help with the two receivers on that side. By the time that Dugger sees Hilliard with the ball, he has no chance to get through the gap to make a stop.. Meanwhile, Phillips is crashing down, taking away the Left side B Gap, but pulls up short, taking himself out of position. The problem is that there is no one in the center because both KVN and HT are engaged with HT being HELD and turned so that he's actually in Phillips way. Dugger, on the other side, has the RG and KVN in his way so he can't get to the A Gap either. At this point, none of Jackson, Bryant or Mills have realized that it's a RUNNING play. Dmac may not have noticed either (can't tell with the angle on the replay on NFL.COM). Hilliard makes a CUT to his right away from Phillips and towards the gap between the two Guards. Phillips reacts too late and is now out of position and unable to cut towards the center of the field because of HT being held by the LG. On the far side, Dugger tries to get across the back side of the right guard but can't before Hilliard is by him. It's only NOW that Mills and Bryant see that it's a run play, but they are 20 yards away. DMac finally comes into the picture and comes to a stop with Hilliard still 10 yards away.. Hilliard is by Phillips, Dugger, Hightower and KVN by this point. Because DMAC came to a full stop, he's unable to get his momentum changed to mimic Hilliard, essentially taking himself out of the play, but he gives it his best effort. Jackson was covering Hollister. Hollister makes a move outside, but then goes inside on Jackson and was able to prevent Jackson from getting into position to make a play, not once, but twice.

If HT isn't held, he makes that play 10/10. If Phillips doesn't crash down as hard as he did, he gives himself the room to be able to cut. If Dugger recognizes that the TE is doing more than just chipping Judon, he can crash in behind the RG earlier, takingaway the A Gap and likely stopping the play entirely. Or he causes Hilliard to cut to the outside and right into Phillips.

It was excellently designed play in that it the Titans receivers on the Right Side got the Pats corners turned away from the play. And on the Left side, Hollister's move allowed him to box out Jackson.

I'm going to disagree with the assessment that this play showed DMac has lost a step. I think it was more a case that DMac just didn't realize Hilliard's speed/agility and couldn't compensate for it accordingly.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back