PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Post Game Thread- Pats beat the Ravens

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's strangely refreshing to root for an underdog Pats team (after a long hiatus). Early last year I would get pissed off because we would only win by 15-30 pts because of imperfect execution (similar to how TB responded). Now I can just enjoy it with no expectations. As long as they're competitive every game with few (offensive) mistakes, even if they finish 5-11 (can't accept a Jets loss), I'm personally good to go.

Similar deal with me. When I was younger, my desire to see Patriots SB wins was obsessive and unhealthy. Thanks to 6 of those babies, combined with some hard-earned maturity, I'm free of that nonsense, and good riddance*. Hell, I didn't even realize this was a night game until midday. Not so long ago that'd have been unheard of! :p

It's nice to be able to sit back, relax, and just see if a ragtag bunch can pull off a miracle or two, with no postgame blues when they fall short. For me it's like a nostalgic flashback, without the accompanying bitterness, to seasons long past.

Also agree with Jets season sweeps being a must. Not letting go of that one! :haha:

*I knew I was cured after LI. Was on a cloud for a week :p

Last edited:
Hey Patsylicious, thank you for your thoughts. I was referring to the future. Michel won't be with the team long term.

agreed, probably gone once his rookie contract is up. Hes a decent bargain until then though and could be one of the better #2’s, run game could be pretty amazing with this set!

Crazy thing is... last I saw, we’re a slight underdog next Sunday. Pretty wild, but yeah. Apparently we shouldn’t take this upcoming game for granted.
From what I've seen, the better coaches always instill a "one game at a time attitude" and NEVER assume a win.

Look at the other week when the Chiefs played Carolina. Who didn't think the Chiefs would win? And yet the game could of actually of been won by Carolina because it was closer than anyone thought could have been possible.

At the end of the day, a win is a win, and a loss is a loss. They normally don't put asterisks in the Win / Loss column by how close you came to winning or losing.

From what I've seen, the better coaches always instill a "one game at a time attitude" and NEVER assume a win.

Look at the other week when the Chiefs played Carolina. Who didn't think the Chiefs would win? And yet the game could of actually of been won by Carolina because it was closer than anyone thought could have been possible.

At the end of the day, a win is a win, and a loss is a loss. They normally don't put asterisks in the Win / Loss column by how close you came to winning or losing.
I am nervous about Watson passing all over us especially if Gilmore does not play again. The weather helped us a lot last night. Ravens were passing early but could not keep it up with the winds and rain in the second half.

Smells a lot like hindsight from Howe.

Didn't we hear from the announcers that some of the Ravens skill players also took off their gloves ? Should we have taken that as a tell as well ?

Just play coverage as you are supposed to and Rex ****ing Burkhead will not gain separation on you so he can catch a ball from Jakobi Meyers.

Smells a lot like hindsight from Howe.

Didn't we hear from the announcers that some of the Ravens skill players also took off their gloves ? Should we have taken that as a tell as well ?

Just play coverage as you are supposed to and Rex ****ing Burkhead will not gain separation on you so he can catch a ball from Jakobi Meyers.

Agreed. The coverage was not bad, Jakobi's pass was amazing. He threw it with an arc and between the defenders and a little short so Rex could track the pass and dive between and down to catch it. Amazing throw. Such a great throw I think he was trying to do it.

Still laughing about beating the Ravens LMAO

I have never seen rain so hard that the camera lens was covered with water to the point where you could barely see the play. That happened on the last few plays last night. What a deluge!

I had to mute the game at several points because I just couldn't stand Collinsworth's color commentary. On the replay of the Ravens' CB Marcus Peters' injury, there was blatant and obvious holding going on and Collinsworth just ignored it. On a replay where a Dugger blitz showed him with a clear path to Jackson until he was grabbed and held, Collinsworth said nothing. Then when a replay was called up because the producer thought that maybe a hold on Winovich might have been missed, he was all "Nah". Finally, there was a penalty called against the Ravens (unnecessary roughness on Judon on Meyers away from the ball?) and Collinsworth was in denial. I certainly didn't mute those last few minutes though. It was great to hear him predict that Jackson was going to pull it off over & over. He sure hates the Pats.

Don't get too excited. The weather played a huge part in this game.

The rain probably favored whichever team had the lead going into the fourth quarter when it started to come down hard. I wouldn't like the Pats chances if they were ones six points down then.

The Pats have a high end #2 WR

They have a top 10 RB

They have the arguably the best OL in the NFL

This team is all of a sudden intriguing if Gilmore & Edelman come back.

Also you have to find a way to play Uche. That is a special pass rush rep.

Unfortunately, Andrews and Thuney are free agents in March along with
a top reserve Eluemunor. Might be nice to extend someone now.

I'd say we're a well coached competitive team that would be 2-7 or 3-6 without Belichick. I think we avoid a losing season, but won't hit 10-6. 8-8/9-7 sounds about right. They're fighters who can play with anyone. Just won't win enough..
If we get a positive record, Ill consider this a positive season, so thats what Ill keep hoping

IF we get to the Playoffs, then its all fair game baby, thats the beauty of 1 match showdowns. And being a Fighter is a plus in this case

So, do you think Baltimore "figured out the run", as I so keenly observed last night? Or is a 1.85 ypc a good running game and the Patriots were still effective in the run game?

No, I think that the Patriots played extremely conservatively in a change from earlier in the game where they took more chances passing the ball given not only the lead but also the weather deterioration that increased risk of a turnover. Additionally, every pass also carried additional risk of stopping the clock with a drop or field position with a sack.

The Pats played a conservative, run the clock approach and the Ravens defense knew it putting 10 of eleven guys on the line and run blitzing every down. There would have been a counter adjustment just the like the Raiders game if the score, clock, and weather situations would've been different.

No, I think that the Patriots played extremely conservatively in a change from earlier in the game where they took more chances passing the ball given not only the lead but also the weather deterioration that increased risk of a turnover. Additionally, every pass also carried additional risk of stopping the clock with a drop or field position with a sack.

The Pats played a conservative, run the clock approach and the Ravens defense knew it putting 10 of eleven guys on the line and run blitzing every down. There would have been a counter adjustment just the like the Raiders game if the score, clock, and weather situations would've been different.

Bingo.

At that point of the game we were not playing the Ravens anymore but the game clock. The objectives were burning down time, their TOs and most importantly not turning the ball over. With the terrible weather and the Ravens inability to produce any explosive plays this was the path with the highest likelihood of success.

Agreed. The coverage was not bad, Jakobi's pass was amazing. He threw it with an arc and between the defenders and a little short so Rex could track the pass and dive between and down to catch it. Amazing throw. Such a great throw I think he was trying to do it.
I really adMeyer that throw

Patriots-Ravens Takeaways: How Damien Harris Has Compared To Sony Michel - NESN.com

PASS DEFENSE
The Ravens had more production through the air than the Patriots, but Baltimore QB Lamar Jackson did throw an interception while completing 24-of-34 passes for 249 yards with two touchdowns.

Coverage stats
LB Terez Hall: nine catches on nine targets, 119 yards
S Kyle Dugger: 4-5, 23 yards
CB Jonathan Jones: 3-4, 21 yards, TD
SS Adrian Phillips: 2-3, 21 yards
FS Devin McCourty: 1-2, 18 yards, TD, PBU
CB JC Jackson: 1-4, 14 yards, INT
OLB Chase Winovich: 1-1, 11 yards
CB Jason McCourty: 1-3, 10 yards, PBU
CB Myles Bryant: 1-1, 9 yards
OLB John Simon: 1-1, 3 yards

Patriots-Ravens Takeaways: How Damien Harris Has Compared To Sony Michel - NESN.com

PASS DEFENSE
The Ravens had more production through the air than the Patriots, but Baltimore QB Lamar Jackson did throw an interception while completing 24-of-34 passes for 249 yards with two touchdowns.

Coverage stats
LB Terez Hall: nine catches on nine targets, 119 yards
S Kyle Dugger: 4-5, 23 yards
CB Jonathan Jones: 3-4, 21 yards, TD
SS Adrian Phillips: 2-3, 21 yards
FS Devin McCourty: 1-2, 18 yards, TD, PBU
CB JC Jackson: 1-4, 14 yards, INT
OLB Chase Winovich: 1-1, 11 yards
CB Jason McCourty: 1-3, 10 yards, PBU
CB Myles Bryant: 1-1, 9 yards
OLB John Simon: 1-1, 3 yards

So Hall is terrible ar coverage. How did Jennings do? Looks like no one threw to him. I seem to remember Jennings was top ranked in pass coverage and also tackles for loss at Alabama

Nope, not all. Actually very happy the team played well, ran the ball well for awhile, and got themselves closer to above water on the season. But I would like to add the following information: After Baltimore scored to make it 23-17 the Patriots had 13 rushing attempts (this does not include Newton's kneel down to end the game). Here are their yards gained on each of those 13 rushing attempts: -2, 2, 1, 8, 8, -1, 0, 1, 1, 9, 0, -1,-2. That is 13 rushes for 24 yards, an average of 1.85 yards a carry. So, do you think Baltimore "figured out the run", as I so keenly observed last night? Or is a 1.85 ypc a good running game and the Patriots were still effective in the run game?
You wanted the patriots to pass with this WR core and newton in bad weather ? if they did , you wouldve killed them for that too. They went with strength and played the clock and protected the football. they knew they werent playing peyton manning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes