PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Day Thread Official Post Game Thread- Pats beat the Jags

THIS IS OUR LIVE GAME DAY THREAD:

This is where we gather to follow things on Game Day. Obviously, emotions tend to be high so if anyone gets a little crazy, the use of the “Mute” button is encouraged on anyone who may be annoying to you to control your experience and to allow the moderators to also enjoy the game.

At the same time, please take a deep breath before over-reacting for the sake of making this a pleasant experience for everyone.

FWIW, Wilkerson had fantastic measurables - elite explosiveness and agility and good speed:

That 6.68 3-cone is very close to Edelman's 6.62

Jalen Mills in particular is especially ****ing clueless… What a ****ing stupid, stupid ****ing football player he is; another ****ing colossal waste of valuable ****ing resources like Agholor & JonNo Smith…
Based on what? Why is he stupid?

Why did we let him leave?

I really liked Berrios in 2018 & 19 camps with us. I thought he'd be the next JE11, but they kept Gunner over him in '19. It's hard to see him doing so well with the Jets on such a talent-poor team, he could have been the slot guy we're missing. Oh well, Gunner has 1 more year to emerge in the Edelman career path model.

I wouldn't say that at all. His 3rd would-be-TD drop was disappointing, but he was getting hit in the head as the ball hit his hands. But the wide open 2nd TD was so easy, lots of guys would have dropped it - including obviously Harry. Let's give Wilk more time and see what he can provide. It will be more telling @Mia if he helps loosen the D, which is why Meyers had a big day, or if it was just Jags bad D.

He had problems with his hands coming out of training camp. This is not the first time we are seeing it. Read the training camp reports and why Wilkerson went to the practice squad.

Where do you get the idea that he has "hands of stone"?

Did you even look at any of his scouting reports?

The reporters at the end of training camp said his drops went up so he was relegated to the practice squad. That drop for a TD was worse than Harry's drop a week earlier - but no-one on PatsFans wants to admit what they saw because they want a new wide receiver. I want to win - I couldn't care less if it is Harry or Wilkerson. Only telling you what is obvious. Wilkerson might be a better fit, might work harder, might run better routes, but be prepared for some drops - he is not the answer.

A couple of things:

1.) mills has been much better in coverage in the second half of the season than he ever has been. He has always struggled with his back to the qb, but bb and staff have taught him how to keep things in front of him and anticipate, read qb eyes and attack receivers; and he has excelled lately at it.

2.) our receiving core in general has a problem tracking passes. Agular and Wilkerson in particular have issues with this. Not saying they can’t do it, just that it is not natural for them so occasional drops will always be a problem with them.

but no-one on PatsFans wants to admit what they saw because they want a new wide receiver.

no what they saw was a guy that had already had 2 TDs by getting open, that potential 3rd TD was just icing on the cake, I also think he got a bit jarred with the defenders arm hitting his head as he was trying to come down with it.

I really liked Berrios in 2018 & 19 camps with us. I thought he'd be the next JE11, but they kept Gunner over him in '19. It's hard to see him doing so well with the Jets on such a talent-poor team, he could have been the slot guy we're missing. Oh well, Gunner has 1 more year to emerge in the Edelman career path model.
Comparison wise too, the Bucs secondary is pretty "suspect" in and of itself due to injuries - so is Berrios "that" much better than what the Pats already have at WR or was he going against lower level defensive competition? He and Gunner were very similar skill set players - was it REALLY that huge a deal that when the coin flip was made it came up heads instead of tails?

no what they saw was a guy that had already had 2 TDs by getting open, that potential 3rd TD was just icing on the cake, I also think he got a bit jarred with the defenders arm hitting his head as he was trying to come down with it.

What the reporters saw in training camp last summer.

Wilkerson drops a lot of balls. I hope he works out, but when he dropped balls again in the game Sunday, I am doubting he is the answer.

Jalen Mills in particular is especially ****ing clueless… What a ****ing stupid, stupid ****ing football player he is; another ****ing colossal waste of valuable ****ing resources like Agholor & JonNo Smith…
lol, Mills has actually been pretty good this year. If not for him, opposite of JC, we'd have J Williams, and we all know how you feel about him.
I think Mills is better as a "jack of all trades" player, playing a little here, a little there. He got thrown into the corner position because of Gilmore and Williams not playing well and I think he's done pretty well.

The reporters at the end of training camp said his drops went up so he was relegated to the practice squad. That drop for a TD was worse than Harry's drop a week earlier - but no-one on PatsFans wants to admit what they saw because they want a new wide receiver. I want to win - I couldn't care less if it is Harry or Wilkerson. Only telling you what is obvious. Wilkerson might be a better fit, might work harder, might run better routes, but be prepared for some drops - he is not the answer.
The answer depends on the question.

If the question is "which receiver gives the Patriots a better chance to win in the next two games" that's a far sight different ask than "Is Wilkerson a future "player" for the Patriots?

For the next two games his skill set, especially given neither he nor Harry have demonstrated clutch hands, MIGHT be more useful - especially depending on Agholor's availability. If Agholor can't go they do need at least one speed guy. Harry certainly isn't that. If Agholor can go...maybe they decide the blocking is the more necessary skill and reactivate Harry. It all depends on the opponent and their offensive approach against them.

Future? He's highly replaceable as you say as a 4/5th WR.

Wilkerson drops a lot of balls. I hope he works out, but when he dropped balls again in the game Sunday, I am doubting he is the answer.
He may not be the answer, but he is a lot closer to it than Harry, who doesn't even get open to have a chance to catch balls like that.

He should have caught it because he got his hands in the proper position but the degree of difficulty was def up there. 40yd over the shoulder w/ a defender's arm in KWs view? Not easy.

He may not be the answer, but he is a lot closer to it than Harry, who doesn't even get open to have a chance to catch balls like that.

Could be. Time will tell. I am too old to quickly jump on the next bandwagon. Did that in my younger years and it was not pretty at times.

I hope he is great, but first I will have to see it. Catching a ball when the DB fell for the fake screen and there was no other player within 20 yards of him is not an amazing route, it is an amazing play design. Running the deep crossing route and catching a ball for a TD would have been a great route and play by Wilkerson, but he dropped the ball when he was running at top speed in a pressure situation. :confused: Saying he is better than Harry is not a high bar.

And he made it to the regular roster which suggests that he worked hard on this problem, and that it is a thing of the past.

And as for that TD drop, you might want to go back and review it again- he gets hit in the head while trying to catch the ball. It was a good wallop.

Some of you are real hard on Wilkerson. He had 40 yard over the shoulder semi-diving attempt that was a tough play that he didn't make (and I would say most WR's in the league "drop" that more than 50% of the time). It's like when guys have the ball in their hands, and two nanoseconds later a DB's fist punches through it and SOMEHOW it ends up on the ground, but instead of lauding the defensive player (because god forbid we ever give THEM any credit), they call it a drop.

No. A drop is what Brandon Bolden did on the screen attempt on Mac's last series. (not specifically ragging on him or his play this year, which has been solid, it's just the most recent example I can think of)

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back