PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Post Game Thread- Pats beat the Ravens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really great win. I think the Ravens might have overlooked us. We really punched them in the mouth. Need to beat Houston next week and get to .500 and then anything is possible after that.

The Ravens run defense was crippled without Campbell up front and kudos to Josh for seeing it and taking advantage.

4-5 is still a deep hole when you see there are so many 6-3 AFC teams right now. In other seasons we'd be in decent shape at 4-5. But we do have tiebreakers on some of the teams ahead of us so that helps.

The Ravens run defense was crippled without Campbell up front and kudos to Josh for seeing it and taking advantage.

4-5 is still a deep hole when you see there are so many 6-3 AFC teams right now. In other seasons we'd be in decent shape at 4-5. But we do have tiebreakers on some of the teams ahead of us so that helps.
We have to keep stringing together wins. There is no other way this year because of the 5 early losses. Not sure if we can do it or if Cam will hold up but last night was at least encouraging. That was a solid win against a very good opponent. We beat them at their own game.

In the old Brady days it happened quite a bit. Like SB36. Pats also routed the Colts twice in 2001 and Brady was well under 200 in one game and barely over that in the next one. That too was a run and defense team first over a passing offense.
Good point
I think Cam was good. Managed the game well and also took what the defense gave him. This game wasn't on him to win.
The problem is there is no game that is on him to win. If the running game has a slight drop off in any game we are screwed. All the game are on the D and running game. Cam is just riding the boat in the middle trying not to make it sink. You can’t win consistently in this league with a QB like that.

Houston has the worst running D in the league so I think we are gonna have a field day next week.

Nope, not all. Actually very happy the team played well, ran the ball well for awhile, and got themselves closer to above water on the season. But I would like to add the following information: After Baltimore scored to make it 23-17 the Patriots had 13 rushing attempts (this does not include Newton's kneel down to end the game). Here are their yards gained on each of those 13 rushing attempts: -2, 2, 1, 8, 8, -1, 0, 1, 1, 9, 0, -1,-2. That is 13 rushes for 24 yards, an average of 1.85 yards a carry. So, do you think Baltimore "figured out the run", as I so keenly observed last night? Or is a 1.85 ypc a good running game and the Patriots were still effective in the run game?
I think they started stacking the box against the run with even more bodies. Going forward we might see teams do that from the outset. Going to be an interesting last half of the season. I am truly glad that you are happy that we won...for me, this was one of the most satisfying regular season wins that I can remember in a long time. Let's keep it going next week!!! Can't wait!!!

Good point

The problem is there is no game that is on him to win. If the running game has a slight drop off in any game we are screwed. All the game are on the D and running game. Cam is just riding the boat in the middle trying not to make it sink. You can’t win consistently in this league with a QB like that.

Houston has the worst running D in the league so I think we are gonna have a field day next week.
All SB winners from 2000-2002 had a QB like that. So did the Broncos in 2015. What encouraged me was seeing how the Ravens were stacking the box and Harris still chugging out yards and first downs. Great to see. I'm sure we'll see more Cover 0 against us and I'm sure BB and Josh will have a plan to counter it.

I think they started stacking the box against the run with even more bodies. Going forward we might see teams do that from the outset. Going to be an interesting last half of the season. I am truly glad that you are happy that we won...for me, this was one of the most satisfying regular season wins that I can remember in a long time. Let's keep it going next week!!! Can't wait!!!

Don’t know why harbaugh didn’t stack the box earlier and force cam to beat them. He was outcoached last night. We handled the conditions a lot better.

All SB winners from 2000-2002 had a QB like that. So did the Broncos in 2015. What encouraged me was seeing how the Ravens were stacking the box and Harris still chugging out yards and first downs. Great to see. I'm sure we'll see more Cover 0 against us and I'm sure BB and Josh will have a plan to counter it.

Frankly the gameplan was done well last night using burkhead. Besides meyers our pass catchers pretty much suck. Byrd is ok but he’s like a 4th receiver. Need to run the ball for this offense to be effective somewhat.

Don’t know why harbaugh didn’t stack the box earlier and force cam to beat them. He was outcoached last night. We handled the conditions a lot better.

Usually the most obvious answer it the right one. Which in this case is that it wasn't so much about stacking the box too late but the Pats going more conservative in their playcalling as we hit the fourth quarter to limit turnovers and keep the clock moving.

They were not going to beat themselves like they did against the Broncos and Bills.

Usually the most obvious answer it the right one. Which in this case is that it wasn't so much about stacking the box too late but the Pats going more conservative in their playcalling as we hit the fourth quarter to limit turnovers and keep the clock moving.

They were not going to beat themselves like they did against the Broncos and Bills.

Well the game was still pretty much in the balance to be going conservative but they trusted their defense.

I just inadvertently came across this bit of snarkiness that was published pre-game on the Ravens' official team website:

As usual, the Patriots flooded their injury report with 20 players as of Thursday

That led me to see what they wrote about the result of Sunday's game. Looking at their website today it is an excuse-fest: the Ravens lost because injuries before the game, injuries during the game and bad weather. No mention about poor preparation - apparently they don't get the Weather Channel in Baltimore.

I just inadvertently came across this bit of snarkiness that was published pre-game on the Ravens' official team website:

As usual, the Patriots flooded their injury report with 20 players as of Thursday

That led me to see what they wrote about the result of Sunday's game. Looking at their website today it is an excuse-fest: the Ravens lost because injuries before the game, injuries during the game and bad weather. No mention about poor preparation - apparently they don't get the Weather Channel in Baltimore.

Imagine being an eastern seaboard team and using the weather as an excuse... You are admitting your team is a fraud team that needs perfect weather conditions to win. #2 rushing team in the league and they are whining about rain and wind.....

I'm so proud of this team and this is the kind of win that can really give them some momentum (I know some don't believe in such a thing) going down the stretch.

Meyers (like I said all along) is the real deal. He may never make a pro bowl, but I could see him in a red jacket if he sticks around and continues to improve. What he lacks in physical tools he more than makes up with heart and toughness. He believes in himself and it shows.

JC Jackson will get his contract and will hold down the top spot for years at CB. Gilmore is finished in NE. Jackson will be, if not already, one of the very best in the game for years to come.

I've seen enough... bye bye Sony Michel. Harris is going to be a draft day steal by BB. A boon. Get this guy's long term deal ready.

excellent thoughts, i only disagree on the michel point. On a team that will sometimes want to run the ball 35-40 times in a game Sony could still play an important rotational role for us especially if he runs the way he did vs Oakland. Harris we obviously want getting the bulk but i wonder how much load he can handle with his running style. Cant have too many good backs.

After a big win last night, this is your take?
The team showed great fortitude no point denying that.. but harry and joejuan were not even visible and overshadowed by undrafted players and rookies.. by the way that was just an observation on those two players..Not referendum on the outcome which is pretty promising for the rest of the season...

With the missed xtra point and the easy TD missed by Cam to Meyers the offense woulda scored over 30 on the ravens!

Great win. I love beating the Ravens. As much as i'm enjoying this, it does not change my mind about this team in anyway. The Pats won 23-17. They missed a PAT so let's call it 24. One score required a Meyers dime and an insane Burkhead catch. Meyers may be a former HS QB but that play succeeding like it did in that coverage was a 20 to 1 shot at best. The pass needed to be absolutely perfect and it was.

The Ravens had massive unforced fumbles at key times which stopped drives or plays that would usually succeed. The Pats on the other hand managed to play a clean turnover game in these conditions. That doesn't usually happen even with good discipline and preparation.

The pats got breaks on close yardage situations and unforced penalties that gave our offense a massive boost. The Pats on the other hand committed 3 penalties for 18 yards.

Basically the Pats played an almost completely clean game and the Ravens shot themselves in the foot at several points. They also made a number of huge plays and made smart plays pretty much the entire time while the Ravens had a number of mental errors that had nothing to do with penalties. Drops, missing open passes, being late to certain spots. Not to mention needing to adjust to key injuries.

As much as I hate the Ravens and I'm glad we beat them today if we played 100 times we'd be lucky to win 30 of them. This game had nearly everything go our way and the Pats won by a single score when the Ravens had the ball late with a chance to come back multiple times. It was a heck of a game though.
Gtfo, Debbie Downer.

my biggest gripe is the lobs that Newton throws to the RB's that take forever to get there.........then need to work on reducing the time is takes to get the ball to the RB

excellent thoughts, i only disagree on the michel point. On a team that will sometimes want to run the ball 35-40 times in a game Sony could still play an important rotational role for us especially if he runs the way he did vs Oakland. Harris we obviously want getting the bulk but i wonder how much load he can handle with his running style. Cant have too many good backs.
Hey Patsylicious, thank you for your thoughts. I was referring to the future. Michel won't be with the team long term.

They just beat one of the top 2-3 teams in the AFC and you are worried about Houston? They may not make the playoffs given they started the season slowly, but Houston should be easy...
On ANY given Sunday, ANY football team, no matter what their record is, can beat another team with a superior win/loss record (who would of ever thought the Eagles would of beaten the Pat's in the superbowl? I know I didn't think so).

I've never played pro football, but I can't help but think there is no easy game in the NFL.

When you take a team for granted as win, you've just increased the odds that you may lose the game IMO AND I don't think the Pat's take ANY team they're playing in the Superbowl as a win).

Good point

The Seahawks game was pretty much on him to win with his arm, and he almost pulled it off. He's been throwing the ball well even in ~20mph winds (Bills/Ravens) and seems to have improved his decision making, probably as he gets more comfortable with the system and his receivers. I think once (if?) Edelman is healthy and Ford is up to speed, with Byrd's all time speed as a burner (4.28), in a month, people will be wondering how to stop this offense. (Yes, I did watch the Covid-blasted and clearly Edelman-injured Broncos and 49ers games - funny thing is I wasn't going to watch the 49ers game as I was busy and saw the score, but saw that my guy Jakobi had 4 catches so I had to watch it all. Ended up enjoying it because I knew he was finally getting his shot.)

It's strangely refreshing to root for an underdog Pats team (after a long hiatus). Early last year I would get pissed off because we would only win by 15-30 pts because of imperfect execution (similar to how TB responded). Now I can just enjoy it with no expectations. As long as they're competitive every game with few (offensive) mistakes, even if they finish 5-11 (can't accept a Jets loss), I'm personally good to go.

On ANY given Sunday, ANY football team, no matter what their record is, can beat another team with a superior win/loss record (who would of ever thought the Eagles would of beaten the Pat's in the superbowl? I know I didn't think so).

I've never played pro football, but I can't help but think there is no easy game in the NFL.

When you take a team for granted as win, you've just increased the odds that you may lose the game IMO AND I don't think the Pat's take ANY team they're playing in the Superbowl as a win).
Crazy thing is... last I saw, we’re a slight underdog next Sunday. Pretty wild, but yeah. Apparently we shouldn’t take this upcoming game for granted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes