PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Post Game Thread- Pats beat the Ravens

Status
Not open for further replies.
He is a pretty meh passer. Cannot win a game with his arm. Cannot score quick. He is a GREAT athlete, but not a great QB. He had a career year last year, but he is basically Vick 2.0. Won't win **** with him.
The attempted last Ravens drive was pathetic.

It is weird to say that a QB played good when he throw for only for 118 yards and run for 21 yards on 11 attempts 1.9 y/c
He managed the game well. It’s good enough for what the team was trying to accomplish. I said last week I wasn’t that impressed with the Ravens run defense and the Pats should focus on running on them. Mission accomplished. This is not a passing team anymore but I agree the threat has to be there.

That Broncos loss might bite us in the butt really hard at the end of the season. :mad:

Going into this game everyone with a reasonable mind knew that we would have to play close to a complete game, limit our mistakes while punishing theirs and have a couple bounces go our way. This is exactly what didn't happen against KC, but happened yesterday. I doubt anyone expected some kind of dominant performance against the Ravens because there is a clear gap in talent on both teams. Especially when it came to their run offense against our run defense.

While our team can't necessarily be praised for mistakes another team made, they a) still needed to be in position to take advantage of those errors and b) not screw up themselves.

A win is a win and in this case we dug ourselves a bit out of the hole we created by that COVID related cluster**** that was the Broncos game.

A couple of posters have said it correctly on the previous pages.. we have a shot to win against every remaining team but can also lose to any of them. That being said the margin of error shouldn't be as razor thin (maybe even negative, i.e. needing 1-2 turnover) as yesterday for the rest of the regular season.

What yesterday should once again reinforce is how just a couple plays, bounces of the ball or individual inconsistent ref decisions can affect entire games. Given that uncertainty the probability that it all will go our way (like it did in the Falcons SB) for the rest of the season is relatively low. But as long as the team can limit their own mistakes there is a realistic path to win any individual game.

With a second turnover free game in a row gotta give some kudos to Cam. It would have been easy -- especially after the Bills game -- to completely melt down and try to literally be superman. But he trusted the coaching and kept grinding away. Some of the quick releases today were things we have not seen this season which is very encouraging. Again, lets keep in mind how late in the process he joined a team famous for a intricate playbook and morphing gameplans and how that COVID break stopped (and even regresssed) any progress through October.

If he continues on this trajectory I'd be pretty excited if they can find a reasonably priced 2 year extension in the offseason while the search for the next starter goes on.

Also another hats off to Jacobi Meyers. He showed up when necessary, was open for a TD on that failed third down and threw for one. What a second year jump for a UDFA.

I know a lot are getting excited about Edelman potentially being back in a week or two but I wonder how this will affect Jakobi's playtime. He more or less fills the Edelman role so curious what McDaniels has up his sleeves.

The OL had a great game providing gaps for Harris to run through and he seems to be someone who looks for contact.

And finally a hats off to the defense for finishing off the game but also putting up a very respectable performance against a tough offense. If Carl Davis can stay healthy and play like that at the nose they might be able to patch it all up to be at least competitive against the run.

**** tanking.. this is so much more enjoyable and exciting.

Last edited:
Feeling better about the future of the team after yesterday:

• Winovich & Uche are both elite athletes & can rush the passer. They are the future on the edge & hopefully the latter can displace Simon this season.
  • Meyers continues to be efficient as a #1 WR. Should’ve been 6/7 & a TD vs a top 5 secondary.
  • Harris is a beast. Not much more needs to be said. Imagine him with more receiving threats to open up the box.
  • When healthy Dugger has played well. Throw in the 99th percentile athleticism & it’s obvious he can play. Didn’t understand the premature whining about this pick when he clearly can do things Winfield can’t.
  • 2nd year PS Hall has showed something at ILB. More than Bentley atleast.
  • Jackson is a CB1. He may not be a shutdown CB1 but he is the way Samuel or Cromartie was.
Not arguing the state of the roster but young players are now stepping up at every level of the team besides TE. That’s what you want. Cap space can fill holes at WR, TE, DT as long as these players continue to play well.

Look at all the 6-3 teams in the AFC :oops:

4-5 is a deep hole and I don’t think the Pats can afford any AFC losses the rest of the way. Does help to have tiebreakers.

At least the handwringing and BS about tanking ended last night.

Last edited:
Great win! Lots of fun last night. Weird that sports radio is trying to convince me that the season will still suck....I understand where the doom and gloom crowd gets their marching orders.

McDaniels has been taking a ton of heat around here this season, some deserved and some not, but we need to tip our cap to him on this one. The Ravens lost a lot of beef up front between Campbell and Williams’ injuries. The game plan? 18 passes and 39 runs. Just hammered them over the head and beat them at their own game. JCJ with the huge INT before the half, Wino not getting washed out on the edge, and the front in general stepped up. Uche needs to earn more playing time, moving forward. 21 personnel looks like our ideal personnel package moving forward.

I still don’t think we’re going anywhere this season, but will always relish a win over that team. The Ravens aren’t going anywhere either. Yanda was a massive loss in the offseason and then they lost Stanley. In order for their offense to be at its most effective, they need a very good OL and they don’t have that at the moment. They also lost Boyle last night, who is one of their better blocking TEs. I bet they regret letting go of Hurst now.

Short on talent at some spots. Not short on heart. I know it’s revisionist, but would I ever love to (1) get that extra yard vs SEA and (2) a redo vs DEN...
And 3) not fumble on the Bills' 12.

This team is a few plays away from being in the division lead, which is amazing, given their obvious weaknesses.

Trouble reading D’s
If you look at the details, early in the season this team couldn't even change the play - by the time they were lined up the play clock was at 5 or 6. Last night there were at LEAST four or five "KILL" calls and protection changes with 10-12 seconds on the clock after the QB was able to see the defensive set. It's called maturation and familiarity of the team starting to come together. That includes the QB. I'm not saying he's great at reading a D, but he's also showing good progression in the new system he's had to learn.

Oh, and it delights me to see Meyers overtaking Harry for reps. Harry isn’t the guy. Meyers is. Harry needs a position change to Move TE in order to maximize what he brings to the table. That said, he threw a couple of key blocks on outside runs, so I will give credit where credit is due there.

We played a near perfect game today and score only 23 against a Ravens team who played like crap.

unfortunately, I don’t think we can play a perfect game 7 weeks in a row. If we face a team that can slow our running game we will still be in trouble.

At the same time though, each remaining game may be easier teams than last night so the margin of error could be greater. Plus this is not a finished product. team is a work in progress and lots of young pieces on the defensive side and a new qb, improvement is what you look for and we’re seeing it. Getting Gilmore and Edelman back could help a lot. I don’t think they are going to win the last 7 but 6-1 is somewhat doable which would be enough. 9-7 may be more realistic though which will take some big breaks to get us in, it seems like Mia, cle, oak, Indy are not dropping any games they shouldn’t like we did vs Denver.

I don't want to be nasty, but not only did we win over the Ratbirds, but we also dealt their playoff hopes a serious blow when Williams and Boyle went out (and is out for the season). Without him, their run game becomes a tad above average. Without Williams, Ravens are down to 2 average DTs and have to play a 4 man front (or a 2-4) something they are not used to.

this isnt a passing team. harry maybe not good but there isnt much to evaluate here. they are a running team.

Harry and Byrd didn't get a look, did they? Seems like Harry's main role is blocking, which is disappointing.

Love seeing Meyers get his playing time and his confidence. He looks like the guy who played in preseason last year...and that guy''s pretty good. Says he's learning from Edelman, and it shows, even in his throwing game.

So weird how different the Ravens look without their Bluetooth guy. :whistle: Lol

tenor.gif

The Ravens are not a Super Bowl contender.

They have had some incredible drafts too. I figured that they were poised to take the next step but thats not going to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back