PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Trade Deadline “Ideas”

I get trying to increase their stock of draft picks and their cap space for 2019 in the attempt to build a team around Rosen while he's cheap. But shedding the 28-year-old "Mr. Consistency", Peterson, doesn't seem like the smartest move. His cap hits for the next two seasons are fairly reasonable, relatively speaking.

Reddick is cheap for the next 3 seasons and seems to be working out well now, so I'm not sure I get that move either. If Bucannon doesn't fit their new defensive scheme, I could see trying to move him now for more than the 2020 Comp pick they'd get for him when he walks at the end of this season.

Cardinals trading Peterson would be almost as bad as the Raiders trading Mack. Get rid of the one good thing you had going...genius.

Who is it that keeps blowing plays in the secondary?

Maybe we could get another hall of fame linebacker from pitt

I don't know that it's actually any one player.

Hunt's long TD was the first one I've seen JMac blow that he didn't recover from. JJ had one against the Jags (Westbrooks' long TD), but then he got tangle in Gilmore's feet on a pick play (IOW, he knew where to be and certainly had the speed to get there, but was prevented from doing so).

The Hill TD, IDK who that was on (haven't checked the re-watch thread yet).

Anyway, it feels to me like it could be the scheme, since DMac has been put in bad positions a lot the past couple games.

We scheme depending on our opponent and the skills of our secondary. IMHO, we are 100% solid with Gilmore, DMac and Harmon in preventing big plays. Chung does fine in his role. These guys can make mistakes, but they are more likely exposed my scheme or mistakes by others.

IMHO, the season so far has been about working in the other corners (J Jones, JMac and Rowe). As others here have argued, we are still searching for our #2 corner and our slot corner.

Hunt's long TD was the first one I've seen JMac blow that he didn't recover from. JJ had one against the Jags (Westbrooks' long TD), but then he got tangle in Gilmore's feet on a pick play (IOW, he knew where to be and certainly had the speed to get there, but was prevented from doing so).

Anyway, it feels to me like it could be the scheme, since DMac has been put in bad positions a lot the past couple games.

We scheme depending on our opponent and the skills of our secondary. IMHO, we are 100% solid with Gilmore, DMac and Harmon in preventing big plays. Chung does fine in his role. These guys can make mistakes, but they are more likely exposed my scheme or mistakes by others.

IMHO, the season so far has been about working in the other corners (J Jones, JMac and Rowe). As others here have argued, we are still searching for our #2 corner and our slot corner.

Agree. But, then there's this from BB himself (today):

Last edited:
Good move by Cleveland

I hear ya. I still have post Richards stress disorder. I relive the horror over and over

Sorry to see Valentine washed out. Guy is a good journeyman but, supply and demand, big DTs are simply not as valuable in a pass first league. Brown and Shelton are average, but one more big guy, if available cheap, could help. Remember, Guy can play a big DE. Need to stick that run defense.
Let's invest more money in dietitian interns. Those big DTs can become gazelles if they have a guy wandering around chirping "Watch your figure, bro."

I hear ya. I still have post Richards stress disorder. I relive the horror over and over

I take some comfort from the fact that it's Falcons fans who are living the nightmare now. I mean, sometimes I feel sorry for them that the Pats crushed their hopes in the SB, and them inflicted Richards on them. But I get over it quickly.

I take some comfort from the fact that it's Falcons fans who are living the nightmare now. I mean, sometimes I feel sorry for them that the Pats crushed their hopes in the SB, and them inflicted Richards on them. But I get over it quickly.

I know. I grin when I think about the fact we got a pick for that guy.

Devin agreed to a similar restructure in 2016. He has one of the highest cap hits on the team; perhaps it's time for another tweak? I think he still has a lot of value to the team, but he could provide more flexibility with a restructure.

Perhaps those clamoring for Pat Pete aren't completely crazy, although Jason has mostly played pretty well. I still don't think we'll bring in someone of that caliber, but we'd have the best CB duo in the league that case.

Most likely, however, the Patriots will bring in marginal depth and keep options open for street free agents if injuries pile up. Fun to dream, though. :)

Devin agreed to a similar restructure in 2016. He has one of the highest cap hits on the team; perhaps it's time for another tweak? I think he still has a lot of value to the team, but he could provide more flexibility with a restructure.

Perhaps those clamoring for Pat Pete aren't completely crazy, although Jason has mostly played pretty well. I still don't think we'll bring in someone of that caliber, but we'd have the best CB duo in the league that case.

Most likely, however, the Patriots will bring in marginal depth and keep options open for street free agents if injuries pile up. Fun to dream, though. :)

There is no way to do anything with DMac's cap hit in any reasonable way as his contract only goes through next season and his cap hit there is already at 13m. My guess is that the Pats will approach him about an extension at a lower salary after this season. He can be cut with "only" 4m in dead money so they have some leverage there.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back