PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Trade Deadline “Ideas”

Sure they're automatic. What the team does is to give a player the remainder of his 2018 salary (over the minimum) in the form of a bonus now. The player is affected in no other way. And yes, the team usually give the player a bit of money for the favor, but the reality is that there is no trouble for the player at all, other than a possible payment to his agent which would be covered by the additional money from the team.

Only a player who was in a fight with the team would refuse. His compensation is not affected at all.

Yes, I'm familiar with how re-structures and extensions work. And I also understand that it's often a "Sure! Why not?" proposition from the player's perspective.

However, what's possible to afford isn't necessarily what's reasonable.

It's also not automatic that there IS a player who's actually available to the Pats in trade who is so certain to be of so much more significant assistance to the Pats for the rest of the season than Munson (or someone like him) that the Pats would be willing to engage in a relatively large re-structure. Seriously, how many players are out there like that?

In any case, a $5M salary conversion with Gilmore only nets $3.75M in 2018 savings. I'm not certain that the entire $5M can even be converted now, since Gilmore only has another $5.3M coming to him this season (not including weekly roster bonuses). Using Bucannon (LB/SS hybrid) as an example, his cap hit for the remainder of 2018 would be about $5.45M (and he's a UFA at the end of the season).

My point was that there are value propositions to consider well beyond what seems possible in terms of cap manipulations when thinking about potential trade scenarios realistically.

Yes, I'm familiar with how re-structures and extensions work. And I also understand that it's often a "Sure! Why not?" proposition from the player's perspective.

However, what's possible to afford isn't necessarily what's reasonable.

It's also not automatic that there IS a player who's actually available to the Pats in trade who is so certain to be of so much more significant assistance to the Pats for the rest of the season than Munson (or someone like him) that the Pats would be willing to engage in a relatively large re-structure. Seriously, how many players are out there like that?

In any case, a $5M salary conversion with Gilmore only nets $3.75M in 2018 savings. I'm not certain that the entire $5M can even be converted now, since Gilmore only has another $5.3M coming to him this season (not including weekly roster bonuses). Using Bucannon (LB/SS hybrid) as an example, his cap hit for the remainder of 2018 would be about $5.45M (and he's a UFA at the end of the season).

My point was that there are value propositions to consider well beyond what seems possible in terms of cap manipulations when thinking about potential trade scenarios realistically.

So you are saying if we had a Von Miller - Khalil Mack or Chandler Jones among others we wouldn't be one??:confused: Some guys have knack to get to the QB they are that good.
No, you are saying that.

If there are "sack artists" which fit the defensive system or BB thinks he can use them then I'm all for it.

Yes Cousin, it can be done with Peterson. You convert the salary to bonus and you have about $6mm CAP on Peterson. You would have to make it a player and a pick. I am sending Malcomb Brown or Snoop Dog Harmon and one of our seconds we will blow anyway because we do not Draft well. And a S/T Safety 5th Round guy in the Second Round our crack college scouting staff will opt for is a waste of a pick anyway.
Now I am moving Rowe to safety to actually cover someone unlike our safeties.
Love to get Bucannon too but it might be a CAP thing for both. Then we have speed.
D Mac is done.
Bruce Irvin from Oakland anyone?
DW Toys

You have the most entertaining posts on the board. Please don't ever stop. Love it.

Yes Cousin, it can be done with Peterson. You convert the salary to bonus and you have about $6mm CAP on Peterson. You would have to make it a player and a pick. I am sending Malcomb Brown or Snoop Dog Harmon and one of our seconds we will blow anyway because we do not Draft well. And a S/T Safety 5th Round guy in the Second Round our crack college scouting staff will opt for is a waste of a pick anyway.
Now I am moving Rowe to safety to actually cover someone unlike our safeties.
Love to get Bucannon too but it might be a CAP thing for both. Then we have speed.
D Mac is done.
Bruce Irvin from Oakland anyone?
DW Toys

I have a limited limited knowledge when it comes to understanding the cap and how jt all works. So hopefully Miguel will come out with something soon!

I’d love Pat Pete here, would give us another option as a Punt Return man as well.

I don't expect anything splashy from the Pats - they already did that with Gordon. Judging from the way Brady and BB are talking, I think he'll be here for a long while if he can stay clean.

Maybe another Akeen Ayers/Casillas-type thing nearer the deadline, or something to add in case of injury.

Which is fine with me, as I don't think they need much. Their D will improve over the course of the season, as it always does. And I'm sorry, but KC is for real - as good top-end playmaking offensive talent as I've seen in a long time. Give them some credit.

The Pats' offense right now is deep (except for RB) and very, very strong at all levels. Jules is back, Gordon is fitting in, and Hogan immediately becomes 7-11 again. Sony Michel, for all the ball-breaking here, is the best RUNNING back they've had in a long time. Brady is molding that offense to his liking, week by week.

Two teams in the league right now can beat them in a big game: LA and KC, and either is close (and LA seems to be coming back to earth, squeaking out the last two wins) and both of those teams are way more dependent on a very few individuals than New England.

I'm very happy with the progress this year.

I don't think a player coming to the end of his contract sways BB Cousin. He has done that.
If the Pats own Buchannon and he plays lights out, the Pats can pick up a Comp pick for him if he leaves, or they can try to resign him.
The Broncos are about to be done in 2018. There was talk they would release Derk Wolfe because of a neck that he has had now surgically repaired. He has an ugly $10m CAP for the Donkeys. He is the disruptive guy we need. He has a little AJ Watt in him when he is healthy.
Not much difference3 in Shelton and Brown. Think Shelton is getting better. Send Brown to Denver.
Can't figure the VV move. More to it than that. Guy has regressed. Butler is a rotation piece but decent.
DW Toys

Two teams in the league right now can beat them in a big game: LA and KC, and either is close (and LA seems to be coming back to earth, squeaking out the last two wins) and both of those teams are way more dependent on a very few individuals than New England.

New Orleans? Baltimore?

No, you are saying that.

If there are "sack artists" which fit the defensive system or BB thinks he can use them then I'm all for it.
Bruce Irvin from a Raiders Team Gruden is restructuring?
Would not mind Derek Wolfe either.
DW Toys

DW Toys
I support acquiring any player who can help the defense make more plays and stops.

My biggest fear is a AFCCG or the SB and have it being decided by one stinkin' play which superior talent and playmaking ability could have made the difference.

The last thing we want is to turn to a 39 year old LB or a backup CB play 60 snaps in the Super Bowl.

I know we need LB’s and a pass rushers..

But God would Patrick Peterson and Gilmore make a nasty CB duo. Undoubtedly the best in the league, and one of the better duos the league has seen in years. Talk about versatility!

I disagree that we are severely restricted by the cap. One restructure (Gilmore) with no change in compensation could free up $5M in cap space.

I expect that Miguel's article on freeing up cap space will be out later this week,

Gilmore’s 2018 salary is fully guaranteed. The question Miguel probably is researching is whether already guaranteed salary can be converted to a bonus and be amortized over the length of the contract.

DW Toys

Toys what's Bruce Irvin's contract looking like now?? I remember him on the Legion of Boom not too many moons ago.

Here is an idea, with WR going down left and right, maybe the Pats should think about trading Dorsett. It would take $1.2 million on the cap, and only be $150,000 f dead money. Might be able to get 5th-6th round pick for him.

Dorsett is most probably part of the future Pats WR corp. Edelman and Hogan are both over 30. CP most probably a one year thing and Gordon a RFA after this season. Dorsett is the only really young player they have and he won't break the bank.

You can only save minimal money by getting rid of him because someone else with a min salary will take his place.

There was talk they would release Derk Wolfe because of a neck that he has had now surgically repaired. He has an ugly $10m CAP for the Donkeys. He is the disruptive guy we need.

Take on 10m hit for a player who operates in the middle of the field, has a known neck issue and is one hit away from being retired. What could go wrong ?

Hell most probably he ends up on IR after Develin falls into him during warmup before his first practice.

I also like Irvin from the raiders.

Shane Ray from Denver?

Also I think we should look for a potential future SS replacement for Chung if something is available. Karl Joseph?

Can’t we get a corner for cb2 that can stop anything?

Can’t we get a corner for cb2 that can stop anything?

JMac has played well overall so far. Also with all the young CBs on the roster I doubt this is something that would be a priority.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back