PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Trade Deadline “Ideas”

Cleveland's not trading Collins to Anybody for a mere 7th-rounder.

I saw the Brownies game on local TV here vs the Murderer-Worshippers...their defense is playing well, including Collins at 4-3 SLB (and Genard Avery at WLB, but that's a different topic isn't it?).

Unless they completely sh!t the bed during the next 3 games or receive an offer they simply cannot refuse, then Cleveland will not be conducting any fire sales at the deadline.

:D

Don't ever change, Captain!

DBs are not the Pats biggest need despite some awful plays. LBs who can cover and possibly DEs who can generate some pressure on QBs

Pressures thru WK-6 ...

Defensive end:
5.5 sacks
17 QBH
11 pressures
4 drawn holds

Interior DL:
1 sack
8 QBH
5 pressures
4 drawn holds

Linebacker:
0 sacks
6 QBH
16 pressures
1 drawn hold

TOTALS:
6.5 sacks
31 QBH
32 pressures
9 drawn holds

QB pressure can come from anywhere in the Front-6 at any time, not just directly from the DEs. Same as it ever was in a BB defense.

Love the ideas regardless the Pat's Need more depth at LB. It's just a matter of time before Hightower gets injured hopefully he can come back when it happens.

what about our practice squad guys Langi and Sam? Would they be realistic to bring up instead of trying to find someone to trade for? I agree we need a boost and depth at LB but doesn't seem like a lot of realistic options. I'm also concerned about the O-line depending on the extend of Cannon's injury

what about our practice squad guys Langi and Sam? Would they be realistic to bring up instead of trying to find someone to trade for? I agree we need a boost and depth at LB but doesn't seem like a lot of realistic options. I'm also concerned about the O-line depending on the extend of Cannon's injury
Langi is a Jet

Langi is with the Jets and Sam has been on season-ending IR since cutdowns.

Simon getting health again will probably help.

Calvin Munson (on the PS) may have as much potential to help as anyone the Pats could reasonably afford to trade for.

I disagree that we are severely restricted by the cap. One restructure (Gilmore) with no change in compensation could free up $5M in cap space.

I expect that Miguel's article on freeing up cap space will be out later this week,

Calvin Munson (on the PS) may have as much potential to help as anyone the Pats could reasonably afford to trade for.

Considering the KC offense is most likely the best we will play all year and they hung 40 on us (unless we play LA or NO in the SB) There were some breakdowns in the secondary and on ST that will be addressed but its clear they need more speed at LB and more of a pass rush from the D-line.

....which are things every other team in the NFL needs.

If they Pats plan on fortifying the defense, they will have to make trades which most likely will require them to make some room with the cap.

Considering the KC offense is most likely the best we will play all year and they hung 40 on us (unless we play LA or NO in the SB) There were some breakdowns in the secondary and on ST that will be addressed but its clear they need more speed at LB and more of a pass rush from the D-line.

....which are things every other team in the NFL needs.

If they Pats plan on fortifying the defense, they will have to make trades which mos
Pressures thru WK-6 ...

Defensive end:
5.5 sacks
17 QBH
11 pressures
4 drawn holds

Interior DL:
1 sack
8 QBH
5 pressures
4 drawn holds

Linebacker:
0 sacks
6 QBH
16 pressures
1 drawn hold

TOTALS:
6.5 sacks
31 QBH
32 pressures
9 drawn holds

QB pressure can come from anywhere in the Front-6 at any time, not just directly from the DEs. Same as it ever was in a BB defense.
Your post made me think and I've drawn a few possible conclusions.

1. This team was never designed to be a big sack team. I think they thought they had an excellent secondary, so what was necessary for the DL is to provide "pressure" on the QB and the coverage would be able to do the job (within the limits of the current game). Sometimes it looks good, like in the first half of the KC game, and sometimes it doesn't...like in the 2nd half.

2. There have been teams that have had more than 6.5 sacks in a GAME :eek: So clearly we are near the bottom of the league in sacks, but since you are obviously a stats wizard, RW, can you tell me how those pressures and QB hits rank with the rest of the league.

3. As to the trade front, if I'm the Pats I am ALWAYS looking for the next Telvin Smith. Despite the LB's actually doing better this season in pass coverage, they are still a relatively slow group, so if MFlowers isn't worthy of a 2nd incarnation, then I'd be looking for another tall fast LB with his measureables to give a shot to. THill is proving that speed kills.

BTW- next time around I'd look to cover Hill much like we covered Kelce, and have someone tight on him and bang him at the LOS. Force KC to motion him. He got free releases all the time in this game. If he lines up inside I'd have a LB on him and really rough him up at the LOS and then let the LB rush or drop. When he's wide I'd have our quickest CB man him up with help over the top.

I disagree that we are severely restricted by the cap. One restructure (Gilmore) with no change in compensation could free up $5M in cap space.

I expect that Miguel's article on freeing up cap space will be out later this week,

Cutting Devin McCourty frees up 8 million in cap space!

That's a potential re-structure. They're not automatic.

Here is an idea, with WR going down left and right, maybe the Pats should think about trading Dorsett. It would take $1.2 million on the cap, and only be $150,000 f dead money. Might be able to get 5th-6th round pick for him.

Is there any word on Duke Dawson? Does he even exist? I don't remember seeing him in pre-season. He made the initial 53, so he is eligible to come off IR. Does anyone even know what his injury is? Any chance he can come back and maybe help this secondary? Or does he belong on the Ras-IR, Jones, Roberts, et al scrap heap?

You have to think sooner or later that Allen gets cut, even after the restructure, his cap number is still pretty high and no dead money.

There is always ways to get around the cap (just ask the 49ers and Broncos). That is why teams employ a capoligist (and we employ Miguel;)).

The Pats are not a sack team nor do I expect or want them to be

The Pats are not a sack team nor do I expect or want them to be

So you are saying if we had a Von Miller - Khalil Mack or Chandler Jones among others we wouldn't be one??:confused: Some guys have a knack for getting to the QB they are that good.

Last edited:
I’d take the Pat Pete trade in a heartbeat with what he could offer us. Would be two legit shutdown corners. Issue is the cap and I have no idea how we’d work that out this year
Yes Cousin, it can be done with Peterson. You convert the salary to bonus and you have about $6mm CAP on Peterson. You would have to make it a player and a pick. I am sending Malcomb Brown or Snoop Dog Harmon and one of our seconds we will blow anyway because we do not Draft well. And a S/T Safety 5th Round guy in the Second Round our crack college scouting staff will opt for is a waste of a pick anyway.
Now I am moving Rowe to safety to actually cover someone unlike our safeties.
Love to get Bucannon too but it might be a CAP thing for both. Then we have speed.
D Mac is done.
Bruce Irvin from Oakland anyone?
DW Toys

Sure they're automatic. What the team does is to give a player the remainder of his 2018 salary (over the minimum) in the form of a bonus now. The player is affected in no other way. And yes, the team usually give the player a bit of money for the favor, but the reality is that there is no trouble for the player at all, other than a possible payment to his agent which would be covered by the additional money from the team.

Only a player who was in a fight with the team would refuse. His compensation is not affected at all.

That's a potential re-structure. They're not automatic.

With WR's going down left and right, I would prefer to have a qualified backup in case one of our WR's goes down.

I agree also Hogan works very well with Edelman as we saw last game...when he put up reliable numbers back in his preferred 4th or fifth option role.:D

Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Back