PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT NFL Draft Rumors

Breer:

As we noted in the Monday morning column, the Patriots have sniffed around on a trade up into the top 10, presumably for a quarterback—and I can say that if Fields is sitting there at No. 8, there are strong ties between New England and Carolina, and some groundwork has been done on what a deal might look like. But I’ll stick with the Patriots taking advantage of defensive players sliding a little here. I’ve heard New England connected to Horn, too. I don’t think he’ll make it here. So Parsons it is.

Sorry if this has already been mentioned.

Breer:

As we noted in the Monday morning column, the Patriots have sniffed around on a trade up into the top 10, presumably for a quarterback—and I can say that if Fields is sitting there at No. 8, there are strong ties between New England and Carolina, and some groundwork has been done on what a deal might look like. But I’ll stick with the Patriots taking advantage of defensive players sliding a little here. I’ve heard New England connected to Horn, too. I don’t think he’ll make it here. So Parsons it is.

Won’t Breer be surprised to learn that he jumped to conclusions there, forgetting it’s Belichick he’s talking about, and it’ll either be Trevon Moehrig or Greg Newsome....

OK, need some feedback on something important. What do you we think about 3-1 odds that more than 5 QBs go in the first round.

Same guy who said anyone who’d draft Metcaff over Harry is an idiot.

He didn't really say that, did he?

This is the same brain sturgeon who allegedly pimped 'Niqued Easily to Bill in 2014, so I guess I shouldn't put it past him...

Breer:

If we’re going corner, than Horn is my guy. All the way. I have doubts Parsons makes it that far.

The Patsies vs. the Dolts December 1981 Stupor Bowl for the rights to draft "Game Day"...oh the memories

I remember that game. Each team was trying to lose.

Yeah I remember watching that game at home on leave...Not a great year to have the #1 overall pick...

Last edited:
How is Horn on change of direction? Isn’t it a bit of a red flag that he didn’t run 3-cone or shuttle?

I'll preface this by saying I'm a big numbers guy (I love seeing a good SS or 3-cone time). I don't care about his numbers, however. The way he wins and the type of receivers and TEs he'll cover minimizes the importance of those drills for him. He still has an exceptional RAS. His tape is excellent. I'm all in on Horn if he makes it out of the top 10 and we don't go with one of the big 5 QBs.

This reminds me a little of the Metcalf conversations a few years ago. I was convinced that the way he won at the line of scrimmage and downfield made his poor 3-cone time basically irrelevant. Horn has the same athleticism, physicality, and alpha mentality. Superstar in the making.

I see no point or conclusion.

ALL THESE ARE TRUE
1) Many want a top 5 QB because they are more likely to be a good or great QB.
2) at least 1 or 2 are likely to bust (definition different for different people; often depends on the team environment)
3) It is unlikely to get a SB quality (top 10) QB in the later rounds.

CONCLUSION
???
For me, it is to get one of the 5 quarterbacks.

At the cost of neither #46 this year, nor our 1st-rounder next year.

I'll preface this by saying I'm a big numbers guy (I love seeing a good SS or 3-cone time). I don't care about his numbers, however. The way he wins and the type of receivers and TEs he'll cover minimizes the importance of those drills for him. He still has an exceptional RAS. His tape is excellent. I'm all in on Horn if he makes it out of the top 10 and we don't go with one of the big 5 QBs.

This reminds me a little of the Metcalf conversations a few years ago. I was convinced that the way he won at the line of scrimmage and downfield made his poor 3-cone time basically irrelevant. Horn has the same athleticism, physicality, and alpha mentality. Superstar in the making.
I agree by and large, I like how Horn wins and have him as one of my faves for our pick, but, he won’t only be guarding DK Metcalf types in the NFL. How would he cope with prime Antonio Brown for example? I realise his MO is to win at the LoS, but if he doesn’t, how will he cope with a quicker WR.

I will bet you anything at least one of the top five picks this year will at best be a mediocre starter if not an outright bust.
As stated in another thread, not a gambler, but still wouldn't touch that action with someone else's money.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back