PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL.Com: Brady no longer a superstar (JULY article)

Status
Not open for further replies.
NFL Superstar Club: Deshaun Watson gets in, Tom Brady booted

i couldn’t stop laughing at this. Brady is better than all those QBs on the above list.

A noted philosopher once said ....
Al-Pacino-Tony-Montana-Scarface-Tough-Guy-Movie.jpg

Its all about the clicks.' First you get the clicks, then you get the money, then you get the power.' Or something to that effect.

Last edited:
I'll just say it again: it's way, way, way too easy to get you guys mad.

Uhhhhhhh...doesn’t he sell the most jersey’s?

Was the tourch passed while I was gone?
The torch doesn't get "passed." One player has to rip it from another player's hands. So far, no one has done that to Brady.
Mahomes? Had his chance to get the job done and didn't.
Ditto for Matt "28--3" Ryan.
Carson "Foles" Wentz? Oh come on now.
At lease A-aaron, Big Ben, Brees and Wilson won an SB...but all together among them still have fewer than TB12.
Watson? Not even worth a comment. This list is more a curse than a blessing for him.
Andrew "Salty" Luck? Yeah, sure. He's really in Brady's league. :rolleyes:
E. Manning and Foles (who are not on the list) actually did show up for three games after three runs in three seasons and bested the Pats ("luck" is a legitimate part of the game). But what, if anything, Manning and Foles will actually accomplish this year is anyone's guess.

Click bait, pure and simple and another chip for Brady's brimming shoulder.

Who’s mad? It was funny. That’s all.

Without any hyperbole, there have been at least 3 threads posted in the past 2 weeks about a perceived slight on NE/Brady by the media. It's their job to drop hot takes and get people to link the article, which is exactly what happened here.

Without any hyperbole, there have been at least 3 threads posted in the past 2 weeks about a perceived slight on NE/Brady by the media. It's their job to drop hot takes and get people to link the article, which is exactly what happened here.

With all due respect, I don’t see any other such threads. Just a thread about Brady throwing the ball 61 MPH...

Here's What Tom Brady Thinks About "The Cliff"

Pollard made some comments about Brady, but he said Brady was number 2 overall all-time. That wasn't nearly as nutty as Brady no longer being a superstar after a super bowl win.

BTW, most articles these days are click bait. Doesn’t mean we can’t laugh at them...

Last edited:
Honestly, some of the points aren't totally wrong, but the whole thing is completely undermined by suggesting that Ben Roethlisberger is still in 'the club'. At an absolute minimum, even if you think Brady's slipping, you'd be insane to take Roethlisberger (or Newton, or Brees, or Wentz) over him.

Just to recap:

Watson looked like a timid 12 year old in the playoffs and was the sole reason the Texans lost.
Cam’s arm fell off.
Roethlisberger didn’t qualify for the postseason and alienated his best receiver into getting traded.
Rodgers went 6-9-1 and got his coach fired.
Ryan went 7-9.
Wentz failed again to finish the season with another big injury.

Brady’s numbers were very similar to his MVP previous season, easily explained by a very thin receiving corps, and all advanced metrics showed he was the leagues best, or right up there. He won the Super Bowl again.

Brady is out.

Got it.
This story is obviously click bait. Christ, I was on the site just a couple of hours ago and read where Brady's accuracy on passes over 10 yds was the best in the league. Now just a few hours later and article comes out and where all suposed to be on "cliff-watch". :rolleyes:

The fact is that Brady's regular season DID seem like we saw some slippage. It was a fact and at 41 not unexpected. But when the game really mattered, at the biggest moments, NO other QB in the league played better. NO ONE! All those other guys are faster, have better arms, are more elusive, etc, but if your team was faced with a MUST have drive at the end of a game, I don't think you'll find one of those so called "experts" would pick anyone else to head that drive. To pick someone else, (even Mahomes who would be my pick as a close 2nd) would be a Bernard Pollard level observation.

So far this off season, we have no reason to think we will see much 'slippage' either.

This story is obviously click bait. Christ, I was on the site just a couple of hours ago and read where Brady's accuracy on passes over 10 yds was the best in the league. Now just a few hours later and article comes out and where all suposed to be on "cliff-watch". :rolleyes:

The fact is that Brady's regular season DID seem like we saw some slippage. It was a fact and at 41 not unexpected. But when the game really mattered, at the biggest moments, NO other QB in the league played better. NO ONE! All those other guys are faster, have better arms, are more elusive, etc, but if your team was faced with a MUST have drive at the end of a game, I don't think you'll find one of those so called "experts" would pick anyone else to head that drive. To pick someone else, (even Mahomes who would be my pick as a close 2nd) would be a Bernard Pollard level observation.

So far this off season, we have no reason to think we will see much 'slippage' either.

The only slippage I saw was that Gronkowski lost his burst as a receiver, Hogan became a shell of himself, and for the first few games of the season, Edelman was out and Dorsett was their best WR target. Brady looked the same as always. When he had a good group of receivers in Edelman and Gordon, he was moving the ball like he did in 2017. His basic stat line reflects an incremental drop from 2017 that you’d expect from losing Cooks and having a much less effective Gronk.

The only slippage I saw was that Gronkowski lost his burst as a receiver, Hogan became a shell of himself, and for the first few games of the season, Edelman was out and Dorsett was their best WR target. Brady looked the same as always. When he had a good group of receivers in Edelman and Gordon, he was moving the ball like he did in 2017. His basic stat line reflects an incremental drop from 2017 that you’d expect from losing Cooks and having a much less effective Gronk.
Don't disagree with you, but you can't deny the times Brady was reacting to shadows on pass rushes and being a little slow getting the ball out at times, and even misreading defenses on occasion.

Now based on some of the clips we've seen this off season, Brady's speed has gotten better. ;) His arm strength hasn't decline any. So I doubt when I go down to TC I'm going to notice any "slippage" in those areas. But the one thing I WILL be looking closely at all through this season is how well he is moving within the pocket. For most of his career Brady has been EXTREMELY elusive within the pocket. He constantly made the first man miss. Only Marino was in his class at that skill. That is where I thought I saw the most "slippage" last season.

BELIEVE me, Ice. We are never going to see a "cliff" from Tom Brady. But the fact is 42 is 42 and things slip. It's the time where your mind has to make up what you body has lost. THAT's where Brady still shines and why for the next year or two QB should NOT be a position of concern for the Pats. In what might be considered a down year for him, what he did in the playoffs showed that if you need a QB for a must have drive at the end of a key game. Tom Brady is STILL the #1 guy everyone would want (Bernard Pollard aside ;))

Just to recap:

Watson looked like a timid 12 year old in the playoffs and was the sole reason the Texans lost.
Cam’s arm fell off.
Roethlisberger didn’t qualify for the postseason and alienated his best receiver into getting traded.
Rodgers went 6-9-1 and got his coach fired.
Ryan went 7-9.
Wentz failed again to finish the season with another big injury.

Brady’s numbers were very similar to his MVP previous season, easily explained by a very thin receiving corps, and all advanced metrics showed he was the leagues best, or right up there. He won the Super Bowl again.

Brady is out.

Got it.
Too many facts!!! :)

We may need to run the ball more and the defense must contribute. OK...

Brady clearly did not repeat his 2017 numbers but I did not see any slippage this year just a repeat of what we saw in 2013 when he had less to work with. No Edelman for first 4 weeks was huge and with Gronk being less than his normal self Brady was working with his weakest receiving core in a long time. Despite all this the Pats basically scored roughly the same amount of points as usual (past 5 years are all between 438 - 468) It did seem that there were a higher number of Interceptions off of tipped passes than prior years and a short stretch when Brady did not play as well (was apparently nursing a hurt knee) I do not equate playing slightly worse as necessarily slippage - just the normal ebbs in flows of a career and bringing on new targets.

Tom will be saddened to learn that he has faded from "Superstar Super Bowl winning quarterback" to being booted out of the club in just 5 months, and without playing a game. And I'm sure he'll be surprised to learn that Dan Hanzus is the person who determines membership.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots