PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Love our draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Andy, what if we take Lamar in the first, even trading up to do it?
I think a lot of people aren't taking into consideration that trading up for a QB will not only weaken the team for this season but could also weaken the team in the long term if that QB doesn't pan out.

I still believe they will address needs in the 1st round and take a QB sometime in the 2nd round (which I still believe is too early).

Yes and no. I wouldn't dispute they have the right people generally making the right calls but I think there have been very obvious mistakes that could have been easily avoided.

I think some people in those draft rooms in general sometimes can't too close to it all and it would be helpful if they could take a step back and have an outside view of things.

I do personally believe they would have a better draft if people like Manx/Bacon were in that room and had a voice.

At least they would have said stuff like "Don't pick Easley that high. At least trade down. Don't use a 2nd round pick on Jordan Richards. He will be on the board in day 3.

I don't generally have a problem with a lot of what BB and co do but occasionally they just do stupid crap for no reason (like sitting Butler in the super bowl).

Many of the best draft picks they made were championed by people on that draft board. Trey Flowers was instantly thought of as a great steal. People loved the Mason pick.

To be fair they did picks that went against conventional wisdom a bit and worked out. Harmon at 91 was a big reach at the time... But at 91 it's hard to complain about much so I don't think anyone was too mad. That worked out great and was good value in retrospect. Vollmer at 58 was a reach but honestly not the big reach it is remembered as. There was a lot of buzz about him being on a lot of teams boards as a very solid prospect.

So while I wouldn't replace BB and Co I would some other voices in the room to keep them from making the occasional dumb choice driven by ego.
We will have to disagree.

So Andy, what if we take Lamar in the first, even trading up to do it?
Great question because that’s exactly the point.
I hate that move but would support it because
A) Belichick has 1000x more information than me ( or anyone else liking or disliking the move)
B) Belichick is much more capable of dissecting that information than me (or anyone else giving an amateur opinion)
C) the odds of it working out are better than I suspect if B.B. believes in it

Yes and no. I wouldn't dispute they have the right people generally making the right calls but I think there have been very obvious mistakes that could have been easily avoided.

I think some people in those draft rooms in general sometimes can't too close to it all and it would be helpful if they could take a step back and have an outside view of things.

I do personally believe they would have a better draft if people like Manx/Bacon were in that room and had a voice.

At least they would have said stuff like "Don't pick Easley that high. At least trade down. Don't use a 2nd round pick on Jordan Richards. He will be on the board in day 3.

I don't generally have a problem with a lot of what BB and co do but occasionally they just do stupid crap for no reason (like sitting Butler in the super bowl).

Many of the best draft picks they made were championed by people on that draft board. Trey Flowers was instantly thought of as a great steal. People loved the Mason pick.

To be fair they did picks that went against conventional wisdom a bit and worked out. Harmon at 91 was a big reach at the time... But at 91 it's hard to complain about much so I don't think anyone was too mad. That worked out great and was good value in retrospect. Vollmer at 58 was a reach but honestly not the big reach it is remembered as. There was a lot of buzz about him being on a lot of teams boards as a very solid prospect.

So while I wouldn't replace BB and Co I would some other voices in the room to keep them from making the occasional dumb choice driven by ego.
I obviously trust Bill to generally make the right picks. Though there have certainly been total head scratchers where you wonder what the hell he was thinking or if he simply outsmarted himself.

When Jordan Richards was drafted with a second round pick, pretty much everybody realized it was an awful pick or at least that it was an egregious reach.

Every team can be called out for butchering drafts, since maybe 60% of draft picks are busts relative to projection. A team that knocks the bust rate down to 40% is doing great. Does it mean they drop it to zero? No. Is that achievable? History says no.
Exactly.
This is where the know it alls thrive. I know more than the gym because he made a bad pick and I liked a guy who turned out well.
I know more then the Oc because I think he sucks and that play didn’t work
Etc etc

I've read the OP three times and can't tell what it means. Maybe I'll try again on Monday and see if I get it then.

Many thanks but I’m no longer worthy. I’d cede my place to @reamer

I’ll still take some credit for Shaq Mason though :)

I obviously trust Bill to generally make the right picks. Though there have certainly been total head scratchers where you wonder what the hell he was thinking or if he simply outsmarted himself.

When Jordan Richards was drafted with a second round pick, pretty much everybody realized it was an awful pick or at least that it was an egregious reach.
A reach based upon what? That’s part of the point. You call it a teach because other people who know less than Belichick rated him a later pick.
Those people are wrong a lot more than Belichick.

Many thanks but I’m no longer worthy. I’d cede my place to @reamer

I’ll still take some credit for Shaq Mason though :)

Reamer is doing great. I really need to put Bacon on my sig soon but he hasn't even been on this board for 2 years yet. I keep trying to break into that top 5 draft gurus on this board but someone is always coming up and taking my spot :p I feel like a 6th string Michigan QB over here!

Reamer is doing great. I really need to put Bacon on my sig soon but he hasn't even been on this board for 2 years yet. I keep trying to break into that top 5 draft gurus on this board but someone is always coming up and taking my spot :p I feel like a 6th string Michigan QB over here!

You do great too. It’s a great sub-forum, if for no other reason than that there’s little bad feeling.

I’m going to love our draft. I know that because I know that the people scouting the players, analyzing how they fit in our system, understanding the needs of the team and considering all trade options know a hell of a lot more than the people talking about what they think they should do.
I think our draft is in the best hands it could possibly be in so I will be happy with how they draft.
I am 100% self aware that my opinion of how they draft is based upon substantially less knowledge and ability to decipher that knowledge than the people making the picks. I also recognize anyone analyzing the picks is also in that same boat whether a little nearer or farther away from those levels of knowledge and ability to decipher it.
And you didn’t use the word BINKY once. Bravo

ditto for Brace

Didn’t have confidence in the guy drafting HLD

With good reason.

I like this draft, too. There appear to be multiple options at each of the Patriots big need areas in the first 4 rounds. I also like the depth guys that Belichick has added in free agency, especially in the trenches.

Besides a solid OT, I'd love to see Belichick get an elite linebacker in the Mayo or Hightower mold who is tough and who has first-rate ability to read formations, down and distance. Everybody is *****ing about Butler in the Super Bowl. For my money, the guy they missed the most was Hightower. I watched that game over the weekend and the defense was consistently slow to react or just not lined up properly to interrupt the Eagles play calling.

I’m going to love our draft. I know that because I know that the people scouting the players, analyzing how they fit in our system, understanding the needs of the team and considering all trade options know a hell of a lot more than the people talking about what they think they should do.
I think our draft is in the best hands it could possibly be in so I will be happy with how they draft.
I am 100% self aware that my opinion of how they draft is based upon substantially less knowledge and ability to decipher that knowledge than the people making the picks. I also recognize anyone analyzing the picks is also in that same boat whether a little nearer or farther away from those levels of knowledge and ability to decipher it.
They'll be Pats & we'll all root for them like hell.

Why post at all if your take is that the Patriots are always right no matter what. Work can't be that boring
Wasn’t my take but whatever.

I haven't been this excited for a draft in a long time... I've had a lot of fun running simulations on fanspeak and first-pick, and since there is no time limit it allowed me to do research on guys, watch youtube vidoes, etc and learn a lot about some of the incoming prospects

I didn't take Andy's post as a shot at people who have been discussing and offering up opinions of the draft, I think its just more of a humility check that we're all fans and invest time into this team 365 days a year, but the guys that are doing this for a living are pretty good at it... So even if they don't pick a guy you really liked, or pick some guy you really hate, just sit back and enjoy the process because we have an elite front office... rank it however you want, but they are at the very least a top 5 front office/staff if you wanted to be modest about it

Just enjoy it folks, I know I will!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe