PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kyle Van Noy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wish we could clone him, real solid player all around.

What teams in the league have a 4th LB as good as Van Noy?

You're welcome to evaluate that for yourself. In the meantime, let's play a game, even while realizing that the Patriots don't start 4 LBs anymore, and thus have only been looking to fill the rotation of 3 LBs + backups in recent years rather than 4 LBs + backups. I started with Brady's first season as the QB and went every 3 years instead of yearly, just for speed purposes. Also, I had to use 2015 rather than 2016, because Van Noy was on the team in 2016.

During the following seasons, which LBs would Van Noy be replacing in the rotation?

2001 - Cox, Johnson, Vrabel, Pfifer, McGinest, Bruschi

2004 - Johnson, Bruschi, Vrabel, McGinest, Colvin

2007 - Bruschi, Vrabel, Seau, Thomas, Colvin

2010 - Mayo, Ninkovich, Spikes, Cunningham, Banta-Cain, Guyton

2013 - Collins, Mayo, Spikes, Hightower, Fletcher

2015 - Mayo, Hightower, Collins, Freeny, Bostic

So, I've got 6 seasons there. Feel free to plug Van Noy in and see where he ends up each time.

You're welcome to evaluate that for yourself. In the meantime, let's play a game, even while realizing that the Patriots don't start 4 LBs anymore, and thus have only been looking to fill the rotation of 3 LBs + backups in recent years rather than 4 LBs + backups. I started with Brady's first season as the QB and went every 3 years instead of yearly, just for speed purposes. Also, I had to use 2015 rather than 2016, because Van Noy was on the team in 2016.

During the following seasons, which LBs would Van Noy be replacing in the rotation?

So, I've got 6 seasons there. Feel free to plug Van Noy in and see where he ends up each time.

I appreciate the effort to put this together. He's clearly behind all the 1-2 duos in this list and I don't think anyone would realistically try to contest that. Good comparisons. I might quibble a bit with scheme (a few of those were 34 LBers who wouldn't be in the LB corp in our current multiple front defense), and I'd also argue that Van Noy would find playing time as a sub in quite a few of those years, even if he's not a special talent. When he was LB2, I thought he played fairly assignment sound and wasn't a liability. My guess is that he'll be a serviceable starter this year, as long as he's able to play second fiddle to Hightower.

So much wrong with this..The base they are using now is a 3-2-5. So that automatically invalidates everything but 2015. Yes, in 2015, Van Noy would be a 4th ahead of Freeny and Bostic. But this isn't 2015. Collins is gone because he couldn't cover TEs to save his life despite all the talent in the world. Mayo is retired. If Mayo wasn't, then Van Noy would be the 3rd LB out there.

You were one of the people who slammed on Ninkovich for the first couple of years. Still don't ever remember you admitting that he proved you wrong and turned into a good player.. But then you are Deus and you never admit that.

I appreciate the effort to put this together. He's clearly behind all the 1-2 duos in this list and I don't think anyone would realistically try to contest that. Good comparisons. I might quibble a bit with scheme (a few of those were 34 LBers who wouldn't be in the LB corp in our current multiple front defense), and I'd also argue that Van Noy would find playing time as a sub in quite a few of those years, even if he's not a special talent. When he was LB2, I thought he played fairly assignment sound and wasn't a liability. My guess is that he'll be a serviceable starter this year, as long as he's able to play second fiddle to Hightower.

I think the scheme issue would matter in 2010 and 2013. Scheme issues would make him either #3 or #4 in 2010 and either #4 or #5 in 2013, depending on what would be the use for Spikes v. Van Noy, IMO. The other 4 seasons would have him either riding the pine at lower than the LB4 (2001, 2004, 2007) or the LB4 (2015). Just my take.

He looks the part but is actually not that good. He is decent on the edge, but looks lost playing the run in the middle of the defense.

He’s good enough to be a starter on our team but only because we don’t have players as good as we would like.

Belichick player. Had draft hype but never really panned out to what the expectation was for him. Still a solid player none the less.

Has improved each year, willing to do whatever the team asks.

Not the lead dog, but a good foot soldier (Wes Welker throwback). None the less, he should be looking over his shoulder, IF Harvey Langi and Christian Sam impress might force KVN to 4th/5th lb and thats where things could get a little muddy considering marquis flowers is better in coverage.

Interesting replies here. This thread started off with responses from the guys who like Van Noy, then followed up by responses all at once from guys who think he sucks.

Basically proves my point. There’s no real consensus on what people feel about him. It’s all over the map

Interesting replies here. This thread started off with responses from the guys who like Van Noy, then followed up by responses all at once from guys who think he sucks.

Basically proves my point. There’s no real consensus on what people feel about him. It’s all over the map

We seem to have gotten very different impressions from reading the same thread.

He should be a 4th LB, not a 2nd LB
Ha. I was just coming in the thread to say something similar, although I was going to say a 3rd LB rather than a 4th.

I think he’s a hard worker and he provides a good example but he’s lacking talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Back