PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kyle Van Noy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yikes!

Not exactly "football weather" over there, eh?
Yep not quite football weather but good for swimming ! Hottest 2 months in the Year.
Never feel it though with good central air conditioning.
Excited for the Season. Go Pats.

View Van Noy as a "B" player, who does a lot of things well ... but he is more than serviceable and complimentary to this defense.

The Pats are loaded with "B" players who do lots of things well, are serviceable and complimentary to the team.

There are a few "A" players but it is economically unfeasible to have too many as it would destroy the Pats Economic system..

View Van Noy as a "B" player, who does a lot of things well ... but he is more than serviceable and complimentary to this defense.

The Pats are loaded with "B" players who do lots of things well, are serviceable and complimentary to the team.

There are a few "A" players but it is economically unfeasible to have too many as it would destroy the Pats Economic system..

Those "B" players, and their teamwork, are the heart of the Pats.

Jeff Howe is raving about KVN's improved pass defense this camp. If that holds up, that'll be huge for the team. If KVN has improved enough in coverage to be a legitimately high-quality cover guy, that'll free up Hightower to do a lot more pass rushing.

Jeff Howe is raving about KVN's improved pass defense this camp. If that holds up, that'll be huge for the team. If KVN has improved enough in coverage to be a legitimately high-quality cover guy, that'll free up Hightower to do a lot more pass rushing.
If you've been to camp it's hard not to notice KVN and Gilmore are balling.

Agree, football is a battle of attrition, and quality depth is often the difference between going into February or not.

With rare exceptions of all-time legends like Brady, for most teams I definitely think the bottom 43 of the roster has more to do with a team's success than the top 10.

The late 90s Pats teams exemplify this, I think. Some all-time great Patriots players - Bledsoe, Coates, Martin, Armstrong, McGinest, Ted Johnson, Ty Law, Lawyer Milloy, Bruschi. Some of those players never got to wear a ring because of Bobby Grier's atrocious drafts.

With rare exceptions of all-time legends like Brady, for most teams I definitely think the bottom 43 of the roster has more to do with a team's success than the top 10.

The late 90s Pats teams exemplify this, I think. Some all-time great Patriots players - Bledsoe, Coates, Martin, Armstrong, McGinest, Ted Johnson, Ty Law, Lawyer Milloy, Bruschi. Some of those players never got to wear a ring because of Bobby Grier's atrocious drafts.

Agree completely, but that’s also a fickle thing. The ones who stuck through Belichick ended up with rings. But imo it’s having the depth to weather a 19 game season that gives you the best shot at winning in February. Genius observation on my part, no doubt.

Even trying my best to have realistic expectations and not get carried away by preseason hype, I don't see how this defense will not be significantly better than 2017.
The addition of Hightower alone covers a lot of that- but rivers is back; flowers and wise should both be even better; Gilmore, as good as he was by seasons'end, should be even better this year- thinking less.
I love MButler but he was almost a liability by seasons end- Pat's have some depth at cb, especially talented young depth.(jjones,Jackson,Dawson).
Shelton alone improves the DL.
How much better, I don't know. But they'll be better and deeper, more able to withstand injuries.
We know how great the O will be,especially after je11 has been back for a few weeks.
My only concern is the ol.
Mostly due to solder leaving.
But Brown has looked probowl-level.
We'll see.
Sounds weird but I think I feel better about this team than last year's.

Agree completely, but that’s also a fickle thing. The ones who stuck through Belichick ended up with rings. But imo it’s having the depth to weather a 19 game season that gives you the best shot at winning in February. Genius observation on my part, no doubt.

Yeah but the turnover from the end of 1999 to the start of 2001 was pretty significant, as I recall. Something like 60% of the roster was gone, wasn't it? I can't remember the exact percentage, but I remember being angry about it because I hated Belichick at the time. So, as you can see, I have really good instincts.

Van Noy is worth 6 mill a year based on Belichick's value.

That's not money for a #3/#4 guy who got a contract extension - the team actually wanted to lock him up.

Even trying my best to have realistic expectations and not get carried away by preseason hype, I don't see how this defense will not be significantly better than 2017.
The addition of Hightower alone covers a lot of that- but rivers is back; flowers and wise should both be even better; Gilmore, as good as he was by seasons'end, should be even better this year- thinking less.
I love MButler but he was almost a liability by seasons end- Pat's have some depth at cb, especially talented young depth.(jjones,Jackson,Dawson).
Shelton alone improves the DL.
How much better, I don't know. But they'll be better and deeper, more able to withstand injuries.
We know how great the O will be,especially after je11 has been back for a few weeks.
My only concern is the ol.
Mostly due to solder leaving.
But Brown has looked probowl-level.
We'll see.
Sounds weird but I think I feel better about this team than last year's.

You're confusing hope with fact.

Yeah but the turnover from the end of 1999 to the start of 2001 was pretty significant, as I recall. Something like 60% of the roster was gone, wasn't it? I can't remember the exact percentage, but I remember being angry about it because I hated Belichick at the time. So, as you can see, I have really good instincts.
I would bet it was over 80% turnover.

I agree 100%. How small a disadvantage you have in your area of weakness, in the long run, is as or maybe more important than how big of an advantage you have in your area of strength. Time and again we see strengths neutralized in the playoffs, and how the other team can do in exploiting your weakness often decides the game.

Very top heavy team. And one that lost games it should have won for just that reason.
The 10/43 dynamic you bring up gots a long way to explaining consistency and why Belichick teams almost never are beaten by bad teams.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope Van Noy works out but there's something missing in that guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots