PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kyle Shanahan: no guarantee Jimmy G will be on roster on Sunday

Would it be arrogant to try to make something out of Jimmy G if he is dead?

You really should read the conversation before weighing in on what you think I was doing.

And no I do not evaluate QB's on movement. I am not a running QB guy at all. I don't pretend to be a scout. But during my youth and school coaching years I attended many coaching clinics and a scouting course. All of it was very informative and humbling. I don't pretend to run around thinking I can evaluate players better than NE's coaching staff. All I said is there are very subtle differences between Trask and Jones. But I like and prefer Jones and did so prior to their draft stocks flipping. I have stated that on this board many times, Mac Jones is the guy I want. But that looks highly unlikely now.

Fields not a huge fan and a big part of that is QB history at Ohio St. Lance is intriguing but do you trade more than a future 2nd to move up for him? Maybe a future first but nothing more and that is dicey to me. Either way the last gist of this blurb is what the other poster and I were discussing.
The part of my post that you actually quoted

And, if you're evaluating your QBOTF based upon his athleticism, rather than his actual QB skills, you're doing it wrong. I realize that means that a whole lot of people are doing it wrong, but that's what's happening. And those people used to know that, because history's made it abundantly clear.

was the part intended for rochrist, who'd written

rochrist said:

Huh? My impression was he was just about the least athletic of all the mentioned QBs. Comments like 'a statue in the pocket' and 'not a running threat'.

The part of my post that you actually quoted

was the part intended for rochrist, who'd written
Maybe the multi threading in your post was too much for me to handle. I mean I did confuse epilepsy with narcolepsy recently so anything is possible these days, I guess.

Seriously, I'm over it all already lol.
No...no you are not...you want Thursday on this board...you NEED Thursday on this board...

a-few-good-men.jpg

So what happens when "we" expend tons of draft capital on this QB you want so desperately and the guy is not "legit"?

That's not a "step backward"?

How do "we" recover, then? Who do "we" scam?

You are a good contributor but basically you have about 7 million posts of variations that Cam is a disaster because he sucked last year (with absolute zero reflection on why exactly that was) or Jimmy G sucked because he was hurt (with absolute zero reflection on how that can be rectified) and willingly will give up the next 42 drafts to get a QB that absent confirmation from Nostradamus, isn't exactly clear will pan out.

....or maybe I missed something.
You should be clear that you are fine with a default of Cam until one of the 2nd or 3rd rounders can beat out Cam, unless we are very very lucky and get a top first round quarterback. We can always pay someone else $10 or $15M AAV to replace Cam.

Please understand that this strategy doesn't win playoff games, and certainly not SB's.

He can decline a trade to say Denver and force a trade to NE if there were one to be made. But yes he can wave the no trade clause.
Jimmy can't force New England to pay him what he wants and to give SF the draft choice that they want.

Jimmy can't force New England to pay him what he wants and to give SF the draft choice that they want.
Correct. But he can reject any trade which could lead to his release (not sure what his cap hit is) and then likely make less money irregardless of where he plays. Just an example of the alternative.

None of the rookie QBs will help this year, and maybe never pan out. Absolutely do not bet the farm on the 4th QB left. Nope. The fastest turnaround would be get Jimmy Garoppolo back here and pay as little as possible in draft capital. What if he starts to grumble in SF and the Pats offered a 3rd or maybe only a 4th (what we paid for Moss).

Belichick has already explained 15 years ago why it's dumb to package picks for position need. He's said if the player doesn't pan out then you're back to square one. It doesn't solve the QB position by blowing all our picks. This is the type of moronic move someone like our offensive coordinator would make like when he packaged 3 picks for BUST Tim Tebow.

I’m shocked at the level of “Jimmy sucks! Made of glass!!” on here. If this is a normal draft, maybe 1-2 QBs will be as good as JG and maybe not even that. Taking Lawrence out as an outlier, I bet that none of these college QBs will be as good as him.

The draft is such a shiny new object trap overall and nothing is as bad as the QB position. If Bill can actually get JG back after only one year of not having Brady, that would be amazing.

I guess I’m one of the very few who is all-in on JG. I think he’s a fantastic fit in the Patriots offense, and I think it’s a better gamble that his injuries have been very bad luck than gambling that one of these guys will be worth all the draft capital required to move up.

Last edited:
I’m shocked at the level of “Jimmy sucks! Made of glass!!” is on here. If this is a normal draft, maybe 1-2 QBs will be as good as JG and maybe not even that. Taking Lawrence out as an outlier, I bet that none of these college QBs will be as good as him.

The draft is such a shiny new object trap overall and nothing is as bad as the QB position. If Bill can actually get JG back after only one year of not having Brady, that would be amazing.

I guess I’m one of the very few who is all-in on JG. I think he’s a fantastic fit in the Patriots offense, and I think it’s a better gamble that his injuries have been very bad luck than gambling that one of these guys will be worth all the draft capital required to move up.

Agree. Jimmy can play. 49ers are a 0.700 team when he starts. Meanwhile we're talking about mortgaging the entire future for total risks/busts like Trey Lance whose offense ran the ball 70% of the time and this kid only averaged 160 yards passing a game! A lot of terrible opinions this month.

If this is a normal draft, maybe 1-2 QBs will be as good as JG and maybe not even that. Taking Lawrence out as an outlier, I bet that none of these college QBs will be as good as him.
Trolling, I hope....

I hope that he isn't on the Patriots roster either.

Massachusetts doesnt need anymore Pajama Boys.

I’m shocked at the level of “Jimmy sucks! Made of glass!!” is on here. If this is a normal draft, maybe 1-2 QBs will be as good as JG and maybe not even that. Taking Lawrence out as an outlier, I bet that none of these college QBs will be as good as him.

And I, for one, am not sold on Lawrence as the Second Coming.

you arent wrong. every year we hear these kids pumped up as if they are all the next brady. Goff was hyped up, trubisky was hyped up. And there were guys drafted later, or in later rounds who ended up being better. of the top 5 guys, I guarantee at least one will be a bust, one will underperform, maybe one will live up to their potential, and one who is drafted later will surprise and look better than one of the top guys.

either way, no guy is a sure thing. Its just as fans the "potential" or a fields is they will be the next mahomes etc. where we know what Jimmy G is. Fields might be the next big thing if the patriots get him, or he might underperform. theres no way of knowing how these guys will perform in the NFL

I do think this team can win with Jimmy G though. its built like the super bowl niners. and we have a strong OL/running game to hopefully protect him.

You should be clear that you are fine with a default of Cam until one of the 2nd or 3rd rounders can beat out Cam, unless we are very very lucky and get a top first round quarterback. We can always pay someone else $10 or $15M AAV to replace Cam.

Please understand that this strategy doesn't win playoff games, and certainly not SB's.

There was much chatter last year that Newton was hurt and we know he had covid. We don't know the full story so just to go off half hammered based on "he sucked last year and I watched every throw" isn't good enough.

Why does the league have "Comeback Player of the Year"? Things change.

Have you discussed this type of situation with Jim Plunkett?

Likewise, just drafting somebody to get "a QB" is bad. If the guy fits fine. If not.........

Thats a fair take, and I think Jimmy G has great skillsets as a QB

When it comes to JG, I think its just a matter of how much risk tolerance you're comfortable with in terms of his durability

I personally just think its time to move on, unless they can get him on a highly incentive based contract to protect against injury. Still tho, its not even about the cap money, you want to have your starting QB available to play on Sundays. Nothing hurts a team more than having their starting QB unavailable on the injury list.

We've seen how this board can be towards players who sustain injuries, and I know people would lose their minds if we traded for JG and then he got injured and we're back to exactly where we are now, with Stidham or Cam coming in as a backup.

A young QB prospect gives us an exciting new opportunity for the future, and sure there is a lot of risk in that, but anything worth doing requires some level of risk. I'm not sold on Cam as any sort of savior, but I truly believe he will improve greatly from last year just due to a lot of the strange circumstances around last year's season and team. I think he would be serviceable as a veteran starter until the young buck is ready to take over

Should be an exciting next few days, that's for sure!

When Cam started failing spectacularly. Sure I want to move up to take Jones or Fields...but Jimmy G, Mariota or Minshew are not bad consolation prizes. The perfect QB is not going to fall into our laps...diversifying with a wider net is common sense.
When can we draft Brady's son?

I don't know that cat is really good. Would of had a solid chance going number 1 after his true freshman year. Arizona probably would have traded out from 1 as it was Kliffs first draft and he was infatuated with Murray and probably could of dropped down to 6 and still picked him up.

I see him as having a high floor but unsure beyond that. Same with Andrew Luck...it was almost impossible that he’d suck, but beyond being an NFL quality starter subject to the same unknowns.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back