PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jones = Chad Pennington 2002?

Bill Belichick? System head coach.

You mean the guy who the game has passed by?? The guy who would much rather listen to Nick Saban and Lincoln Riley rather than his scouting staff?? The same guy who lets his dog pick players and missed the Senior Bowl to go to Barbados??

That guy??

You mean the guy who the game has passed by?? The guy who would much rather listen to Nick Saban and Lincoln Riley rather than his scouting staff?? The same guy who lets his dog pick players and missed the Senior Bowl to go to Barbados??

That guy??
I can't blame him for spending a little time on Holliday.

Can someone tell me the difference between joe burrow and mac jones? Both lit it up in the championship game... Both had a pair of first round receivers.

Why does burrow get the love and jones the hate?

Can someone tell me the difference between joe burrow and mac jones? Both lit it up in the championship game... Both had a pair of first round receivers.

Mobility and narrative

Simply the Pats are used to excellence the Bengal's are used to reporting to their probation officer and making excuses for coaching ineptitude, inow the curse of high expectations..

Then throw in the skeptics and sportstalk radio folks who need to "gin up" controversy about this selection.. remember there is a clandestine reason that the rest of the league knew about that caused the "fall" of Jones.. then add an unhealthy dose of why Barmore "fell".. then add the brouhaha about BB does not listen to his scouts, he skipped the senior bowl and his dog made the selection yada, yada, yada and you have a trifecta.

Hasn't Joe Burrow played professional football?

I think if the QB talent pool hadn't been so deep this year, Mac Jones would've gotten a lot more love because we all know how the mediots love QBs and will always guilt the weak franchises into drafting the guy they want them to.

... he didn't land at the Pats, else he would be quite bad, they would find something to hate about...its the Pats, even the own "supporters" hate on the coach and the team:whistle:

Simply the Pats are used to excellence the Bengal's are used to reporting to their probation officer and making excuses for coaching ineptitude, inow the curse of high expectations..

Then throw in the skeptics and sportstalk radio folks who need to "gin up" controversy about this selection.. remember there is a clandestine reason that the rest of the league knew about that caused the "fall" of Jones.. then add an unhealthy dose of why Barmore "fell".. then add the brouhaha about BB does not listen to his scouts, he skipped the senior bowl and his dog made the selection yada, yada, yada and you have a trifecta.
I remember before last year's draft the media thing was that you better draft a QB this year since there won't be any good ones in 2021 except for Lawrence.

Then it was Jones and Lawrence, then before you know it, five different guys all worthy of top 10 picks, all actually taken in the top 15 picks.

The media has a lot of airwaves to fill so the story changes and each new year becomes the year to pick the QB early.

It seems team evaluators are buying in, again, we had 5 QBs taken in the top 15.

QB numbers used to be held low because everyone knew you needed to be smart to run a pro offense, and not many could pull that off.

Now the league has convinced themselves you need a running QB, the pocket passing matters less, make things up as you go, draft lighter/faster defenders to deal with the running QB.

I'm looking forward to see us out there with big linemen, a fullback, two TEs and blasting holes open the old school way, and when MJ is ready, add some precision passing on top of all of that.

If Mac turns into Chad Pennington before his shoulder got ruined I’d consider that a win.

Mobility and narrative

He also had 19 more TD's in his last college season than Jones did. That doesn't make him a better QB, but it definitely added some pop to his resume going into the draft. Prior to that season, the narrative was Tank for Tua. But 60 touchdown passes really made Burrow stand out by the end.

Mac Jones is matt ryan and not Pennington. Put some skilled players around him and he will be a successful player. Can’t put garbage around him.

I think Mac Jones fell because he is abit of a "throwback" type QB. and by throwback i mean pocket passer in the mold of Manning/Brady/Brees.

Teams in 2021 are putting alot of stock on "mobility" and the ability for the QB to run around and throw a ball half way across their body. those other guys standing in the pocket aren't as flashy. But, at the end of the day if your QB can read the defense, move in the pocket to avoid the rush and make accurate passes who cares?

the guy who won the super bowl last year wasn't the most mobile. I think Mac Jones skillset fits the patriots offense perfectly just the same reason Jimmy G's skillset fit this offense so well. accurate/quick release.

we could be entering an era where "pocket guys" who would've went high 10-20 years ago are going to be undervalued because of their perceived lack of athleticism.

I think Mac Jones fell because he is abit of a "throwback" type QB. and by throwback i mean pocket passer in the mold of Manning/Brady/Brees.

Teams in 2021 are putting alot of stock on "mobility" and the ability for the QB to run around and throw a ball half way across their body. those other guys standing in the pocket aren't as flashy. But, at the end of the day if your QB can read the defense, move in the pocket to avoid the rush and make accurate passes who cares?

the guy who won the super bowl last year wasn't the most mobile. I think Mac Jones skillset fits the patriots offense perfectly just the same reason Jimmy G's skillset fit this offense so well. accurate/quick release.

we could be entering an era where "pocket guys" who would've went high 10-20 years ago are going to be undervalued because of their perceived lack of athleticism.

And I would say since 2000, the only "mobile" QBs who have won it are Mahomes and Wilson. You could argue that Rodgers and Roethlisberger CAN run, but both are primarily pocket QBs who can occasionally make plays with their legs. Other than that, it's been Brady (a lot), both Mannings, Brees, Foles, Flacco, Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer (if you're going back that far).

And if you're looking at SB runner ups, you're still only talking Wilson, Mahomes, Newton, and McNabb (all once) for mobile guys. Every other SB runner up QB has been a pocket passer.

And I would say since 2000, the only "mobile" QBs who have won it are Mahomes and Wilson. You could argue that Rodgers and Roethlisberger CAN run, but both are primarily pocket QBs who can occasionally make plays with their legs. Other than that, it's been Brady (a lot), both Mannings, Brees, Foles, Flacco, Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer (if you're going back that far).

And if you're looking at SB runner ups, you're still only talking Wilson, Mahomes, Newton, and McNabb (all once) for mobile guys. Every other SB runner up QB has been a pocket passer.
I constantly feel like grandpa Simpson beating this drum... "A fax machine's nothing but a telephone hooked up to a waffle iron..." It's just so true. We keep going through wave after wave of the mobile QB fad, and it keeps being wrong.

"No no, this isn't that stupid playground ball, this is smart, it's designed runs to maximize the abilities of a mobile QB..."

"No no, this isn't just designed plays, it's a whole offense called the Wildcat that takes advantage of running QBs, throwing RBs, mix n match..."

"No no no that was just more playground ball, this is called the run pass option and we have a new initialism for it, it's "the RPO." Now the whole game has changed. Again."

No my dude all you've done is discovered, AGAIN, how to let the guy who throws the ball pretend he's also the guy who runs the ball, and the answer is always the same. Okay, sometimes, I guess. But he's got to throw the ball. These other guys run the ball. BTW, if you want to keep the mashups coming, aight, but running quarterbacks break.

This is not the way. I have spoken. <-- Mandaloriabsplaining.

He also had 19 more TD's in his last college season than Jones did. That doesn't make him a better QB, but it definitely added some pop to his resume going into the draft. Prior to that season, the narrative was Tank for Tua. But 60 touchdown passes really made Burrow stand out by the end.
Yeah, but that's meaningless beyond window dressing/narrative when you're looking at a pair of offenses that also have the best running backs in the game. After all,

Treash: Alabama QB Mac Jones has orchestrated what is arguably the best passing attack in college football history | NFL Draft | PFF

Burrows was throwing to the best WRs in the land. Burrows had excellent O-linemen protecting him. Burrows had excellent RBs behind him (sounds familiar, doesn't it?). And that's not to dismiss Burrows, as I'm just answering the question. We could extend the same argument, albeit not quite as strongly as with LSU and 'bama, to Lawrence (Clemson) Lance (Best team at that level) and Fields (OSU). Yet, somehow, the narrative about Fields was not all the great talent around him, and the narrative about Lawrence was not all the great talent around him, etc...

Narrative, built around the bias for the shiny new toy ("mobile" QBs) is the difference.

They zig, we zag! :D

This is not the way. I have spoken. <-- Mandaloriabsplaining.
My real fear factor is the running QB is just one bad play away from not being a running QB any longer, and since you need your legs to throw, you're also not a QB of any kind till your legs heal, perhaps after surgery. NFL does all it can to protect QBs, but still there's plenty of ways to blow out a leg when running around, see Dak Prescott.

The other theory is 'all the guys coming out of college are runners, just grab one and put them in, no need for super skills or super smarts' is being shown to be false. We had 5 QBs picked in the top 15 which is huge draft capital. The 'new style' doesn't seem to be making for more ready-made, low draft capital QBs.

They zig, we zag! :D

My real fear factor is the running QB is just one bad play away from not being a running QB any longer, and since you need your legs to throw, you're also not a QB of any kind till your legs heal, perhaps after surgery. NFL does all it can to protect QBs, but still there's plenty of ways to blow out a leg when running around, see Dak Prescott.

The other theory is 'all the guys coming out of college are runners, just grab one and put them in, no need for super skills or super smarts' is being shown to be false. We had 5 QBs picked in the top 15 which is huge draft capital. The 'new style' doesn't seem to be making for more ready-made, low draft capital QBs.

Look at RG3. One bad hit and his career was over.

I think Mac Jones will do anything short of death to win a football game. I believe this premise is in his DNA. I think he understands that he doesn't have all the physical gifts that some of his peers have and that is why he will succeed with quick processing and delivery. He knows how to overcome and thrive is that arena. I HATE the idea of Cam starting the entire 2021 season...but I am coming around to the idea that Mac will greatly benefit learning the system for a year.

Last edited:

Agree with your point, but would add Kapernick to the list of mobile qb SB runner ups

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back