PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jets practice week news & opinions (including Brady's shoulder)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question about some stat I saw or thought I saw last week. Basically, it stated that while the number of sacks on Brady was high, the number of QB hits on him was about the same as last year. IIRC the number of QB hits were 33 this year and 32 last year.

Now if that is true, then I would think all the clamor about Brady being hit so often is overblown. And the change in offensive focus to a more verticle game and the stats about his release time the more likely cause of the increase in sacks, than a collapse of the OL

Now I haven't seen that stat brought up again, and given its relevance to the discussion, it makes me wonder if it exists at all, and it was just a figment of my imagination. Can anyone check and see if it was true. Because while Brady is being sacked more often if he is being hit a similar number of times, that should be factored into the discussion.

Why do the JAG obsessed continually imply that Brady the slacker is presently not motivated to giving his all and needs to be embarrassed or threatened to play Full Tilt Full Time?

I don’t think talking of extra motivation is any disrespect for Brady. Like those great 4th-quarter comebacks, if that’s 100%, why didn’t they play 100% the entire game so they wouldn’t need to come back? That’s just human nature. For people who have the fire, when their backs are against the wall, it burns brighter than ever and they are able to perform at 120%. It doesn’t mean they are slackers the rest of time.

I love Brady (really needless to say). He is the GOAT but naturally for anyone there is always up and down from time to time. What’s wrong with imagining some situation of making the up even more transcendent?

Word is that it happened in the CAR game on a hit from Julius Peppers, then he aggravated it against Tampa Bay.

I don't remember it off the top of my head, but I did post after the game how there were a couple of hits in both the HOU and CAR games where I thought Brady may have been injured, so I'm curious if that was one of them.

Thats what Zolak has been telling people according to Chatham.

I really really hope Garoppolo will start this Sunday. Give Brady some rest. Is there any argument against that? If he can’t beat the Jets, what future does he have, or we, if Brady is sacked into retirement at the end of the season? My dream situation is Garoppolo plays lights out, we annihilate the Jets, people start talking “QB controversy” again, and then Brady comes back with such fire even we have never seen...
This will never happen. If you're here, you know that Brady is a competitor above else. He would never take a (meaningful) game to rest... I bet he'd feel offended if Bill offered that.

I really really hope Garoppolo will start this Sunday. Give Brady some rest. Is there any argument against that? If he can’t beat the Jets, what future does he have, or we, if Brady is sacked into retirement at the end of the season? My dream situation is Garoppolo plays lights out, we annihilate the Jets, people start talking “QB controversy” again, and then Brady comes back with such fire even we have never seen...

It doesnt seem like you really know Brady if you think he would sit to avoid hits or to rest.

I also don't think a division game on the road is a great time to sit Brady, Jets or no Jets. If he's legitimately putting his season in jeopardy that's one thing. Managing his games because he's dinged? 100% not.

Not sure how many hits he took during his first 5 weeks of last season and some of the 2016 Hits were during the first 4 weeks but on a whole the Hits are quite a bit higher than last season.

Nope, they actually aren't.

Brady through 5 games last season was hit 28 times on 166 attempts and sacked 10 times

Brady through 5 games this season has been hit 32 times on 195 attempts and sacked 16 times

Brady through 5 games has thrown it 17% more than he did last year. Which correlates with the number of hits 28 to 32 is a 14% increase. So really he is getting hit the same amount he was last year through 5 games. Now the sacks there is a 60% increase but that likely correlates with Brady holding the ball longer because the passing game has been much more vertical this year compared to last year.

I'm completely in the camp that if the HC decides Brady's health is too much at risk Sunday, then play JAG. Brady personally would have a cow as he hates the Jetes. A moot point however, as I believe that Brady is well enough to play without untoward risk.

I have a question about some stat I saw or thought I saw last week. Basically, it stated that while the number of sacks on Brady was high, the number of QB hits on him was about the same as last year. IIRC the number of QB hits were 33 this year and 32 last year.

Now if that is true, then I would think all the clamor about Brady being hit so often is overblown. And the change in offensive focus to a more verticle game and the stats about his release time the more likely cause of the increase in sacks, than a collapse of the OL

Now I haven't seen that stat brought up again, and given its relevance to the discussion, it makes me wonder if it exists at all, and it was just a figment of my imagination. Can anyone check and see if it was true. Because while Brady is being sacked more often if he is being hit a similar number of times, that should be factored into the discussion.

See my above post

There's actually a grain of truth in what you're implying with the question "what future does JG have if he can't beat the Jets?" but I'd rather not find out this weekend unless we have to. Just an opinion.

Last edited:

If you want some insightful words on the entire OL situation and can spare 20-30 minutes while driving home or doing some chores I would recommend listening to Chathams newest podcast. He deconstructs why the hysteria about more QB hits is overblown and puts it nicely in perspective. Sprinkled with lots of insider knowledge about OL schemes and blocking in general.

It starts around the 10 minute mark with his analysis on 3 sacks from the TB game start at 11:30ish.

Brady through 5 games last season was hit 28 times on 166 attempts and sacked 10 times

Brady through 5 games this season has been hit 32 times on 195 attempts and sacked 16 times

Brady through 5 games has thrown it 17% more than he did last year. Which correlates with the number of hits 28 to 32 is a 14% increase. So really he is getting hit the same amount he was last year through 5 games. Now the sacks there is a 60% increase but that likely correlates with Brady holding the ball longer because the passing game has been much more vertical this year compared to last year.

Thank you for the correction JMC. Very interesting.

@patfanken - disregard my post. (I've just deleted it) It was incorrect.

Very interesting thanks for posting.

I heard that stat, too. I recall because at the time I thought "that can't be right."

A 'time to sack' stat would be useful, measuring elapsed time from snap to whistle to see how it compares to last year and to release time.

Be interesting to see what Solder's injury is. He certainly didn't look right last game. (And I hope it's an injury and not something else.)

I've been thinking the same thing. Cannon too. I hope it's just injury.

well if my lipreading from the back is correct . one goat is complaining to the other goat about hits and sacks;)

always great to see two goats sharing a moment..

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes