PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

JC Jackson signs RFA tender

Trade value for something bigger
He doesn’t have that value. All you would get is a 3rd or 4th round pick. No one even made a RFA offer. Why would they trade for him to rent for a year?
What is bigger than a good starting corner at 3 mill?

He doesn’t have that value. All you would get is a 3rd or 4th round pick. No one even made a RFA offer. Why would they trade for him to rent for a year?
I agree. We got him on a $3 mil deal. No trade offer will match that. My only caveat is it depends how much we want to get a Qb this year. If offering San Fran a 2 and Jackson gets the deal done then perhaps we do it. But I agree he has more value to us for this season.

I don't see value as the issue. It's the cost and cap concerns for 2021 other teams had. Plenty of teams will have cap space in 2022 to sign him long term is he proves he is a #1 CB

The scenario is if the NEP don't think they can/want to sign him long term/disagreement of value with JC AND the team they are trying to trade with to get a QB wants an NFL ready player in return it makes sense.

A trade could come after the draft - especially if the team drafts a couple of boundary CBs

I don't see value as the issue. It's the cost and cap concerns for 2021 other teams had. Plenty of teams will have cap space in 2022 to sign him long term is he proves he is a #1 CB

The scenario is if the NEP don't think they can/want to sign him long term/disagreement of value with JC AND the team they are trying to trade with to get a QB wants an NFL ready player in return it makes sense.

A trade could come after the draft - especially if the team drafts a couple of boundary CBs
Well if he is the only piece that would get a QBs upgrade then sure. But that is doubtful. Otherwise it’s crazy to trade a good cheap player who will be playing for the contract of his life.

On JJ Williams: Right now there's a few things up in the air. Gilmore being moved is still a possibility (as is JC, but I think less so). And we could draft someone which would muddy the waters quite a bit. But as we stand today before the draft, we've lost McCourty and Brooks (which I know is no great loss talent wise on defense, but the snaps need to be replaced) and have added Mills. Both Mills and Williams have played both CB and S roles. Different types, but still, they play a little bit of both. So right now they will combine to take the McCourty/Brooks snaps until other players are added/removed, IMO. Williams is probably more specialized, matching up against taller receivers and tight ends where he can.

Starters: Gilmore-Jackson-Jones at CB. McCourty-Dugger/Phillips at S.

Mills probably spots everyone at each position, though primarily Jones, Dugger, and Phillips. Williams spots Jackson in specific matchups, plus some of Dugger/Phillips against certain tight ends. We could do worse with a CB5/S4.

He's not a fan of Wynn. Wants him gone.

Understandable if he wants more consistency from LT. Wynn hasn't been a model of availability, although that's hardly his fault. When healthy, however, he's an above average LT. Those aren't on the chopping block, particularly not when they're young and on a rookie contract.

Last edited:
CB at 15 seems like the smart move now.

ONLY if that CB is named JC Horn or Patrick Surtain.

So, having ZERO starters at CB for 2022 drives you to the conclusion that we don't need to draft a quality corner?

Yes we do need to draft a quality CB...at #120/122...

Regarding our defense, we have more immediate need for Front-6 help at #15...If both Horn & Surtain are gone by #15, there is Nobody else at that position worthy of our first-rounder...Worry about 2022 in 2022...

Last edited:
Draft Horn and guarantee our starters for 2022? Who is the other starter?

Now using our 1st-round pick on a CB isn't enough for you?

There are other positions on the team - hell, even on the defense - than CB, you know...

ONLY if that CB is named JC Horn or Patrick Surtain.

Yes we do need to draft a quality CB...at #120/122...

Regarding our defense, we have more immediate need for Front-6 help at #15...If both Horn & Surtain are gone by #15, there is Nobody else at that position worthy of our first-rounder...Worry about 2022 in 2022...
Many prefer Newsome to Surtain for our defense.

We could take a poll. This was discussed on the draft board. Surtain is a fine player, perhaps a top 10 player.

I agree that Newsome might become a better pure cover corner than Surtain, who at his size might actually have to switch to FS; thus my preference for JC Horn if both are still available at #15...But #15 is still too early for Newsome for my taste.

I have a $5 bet with a friend that Newsome will be the pick. Horn and Surtain will be gone. I don’t mind a slight reach at a premium position, and CB is the most essential defensive position for the Pats. Newsome can play and is a good fit for the Pats although I am a bit concerned about his durability.

Jackson does have trade value, he is a starting CB on a decent salary. The most he will garner is a thrid rd pick. You figure even if you can't sign him, he should garner you a 4th round pick the next year if he signs for decent money in Free Agency.

I don't see the Pats moving him, they have him under control, at a reasonable price, and can still get compensation for him if he leaves via Free Agency next year.

You won't see any movement on the Gilmore front until he can pass a physical. Hopefully the Pats give him a two year extension, if he balks at that, then they might look to move him. But again, until he is fully recovered, nothing is going to happen.

I like Joe Horn Jr over Surtain, he is fiestier!

I don’t know of a single soul on here who prefers Newsome to Surtain... and certainly not Horn.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back