PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

JC Jackson signs RFA tender

He doesn’t have that value. All you would get is a 3rd or 4th round pick. No one even made a RFA offer. Why would they trade for him to rent for a year?
What is bigger than a good starting corner at 3 mill?
One thing to remember: when a team signs a player to an offer sheet, that money is "held" on their salary cap as soon as the offer sheet is signed. So, for example, the Bears, with their $1.5M in cap space, couldn't even make an offer that had any chance of enticing Jackson to sign. [And, as PFT has noted, nobody with a first- or second-round tender has signed with another team since the 2011 CBA was signed.]

I agree that Newsome might become a better pure cover corner than Surtain, who at his size might actually have to switch to FS; thus my preference for JC Horn if both are still available at #15...But #15 is still too early for Newsome for my taste.
While 15 may be a bit early for Newsome, he would be a better pick than so many other non-quarterbacks.

Such as...?
I understand that many have their favorites. Let us say that we picking at 15

14 GONE
5 QB
2 OT Slater, Sewell
1 TE Pitts
3 WR Chase, Smith, Waddle
2 CB Surtain, Horn
1 LB Parsons
==============
Perhaps, we should have traded up a bit for one of these players.

That being said, my point is that I think that Newsome might be in NE's consideration at 15. We need a solid corner unless both Gilmore and Jackson are extended ( I suppose that Gilmore might be franchised).

I don’t know of a single soul on here who prefers Newsome to Surtain... and certainly not Horn.
OK, I overstated. Newsome is a better fit. We're getting Surtain. If he were there, we might draft him, but more likely trade down.

OK, I overstated. Newsome is a better fit. We're getting Surtain. If he were there, we might draft him, but more likely trade down.
Why do you think Newsome is a better fit? Surtain has the ideal size, speed, played in a defense that’s a carbon copy of ours, and had a better track record against superior competition.

Why do you think Newsome is a better fit? Surtain has the ideal size, speed, played in a defense that’s a carbon copy of ours, and had a better track record against superior competition.
This was discussed on the draft board.

I've already agreed that we would not draft Newsome with Surtain on the board. However, my very personal opinion is that he will be gone, or that we would trade down. The reason for this is the philosophy of BPA. Surtain simply has more draft a value and would be valuable to other teams.
=============
I suspect that Surtain will be drafted by DAL.

This was discussed on the draft board.

I've already agreed that we would not draft Newsome with Surtain on the board. However, my very personal opinion is that he will be gone, or that we would trade down. The reason for this is the philosophy of BPA. Surtain simply has more draft a value and would be valuable to other teams.
=============
I suspect that Surtain will be drafted by DAL.
Yeah, I don’t think Surtain is getting past Dallas either.

14 GONE
5 QB
2 OT Slater, Sewell
1 TE Pitts
2 CB Surtain, Horn
1 LB Parsons
==============

That being said, my point is that I think that Newsome might be in NE's consideration at 15. We need a solid corner unless both Gilmore and Jackson are extended ( I suppose that Gilmore might be franchised).

If Bill is dead set on drafting a CB in the first round and both Surtain & Horn are already taken by #15, then he MUST trade down, preferably with the 'Skins for #s 19 & 74/82; Newsome will still be available then...

If Bill is dead set on drafting a CB in the first round and both Surtain & Horn are already taken by #15, then he MUST trade down, preferably with the 'Skins for #s 19 & 74/82; Newsome will still be available then...
OK, I gave you the board at 15. Who would you consider? Who would be your top choice?

Any concern with zona going corner at 16 to replace PP?

OK, I gave you the board at 15. Who would you consider? Who would be your top choice?

My first preference is trading with the Deadskins for #s 19 & 74/82...

If I must stand pat, then I would be fine with either DE Kwity Paye, LB/ED Zaven Collins or LT/LG Alijah Vera-Tucker, with DE Jason Oweh as the possible Gamble on Greatness...

Any concern with zona going corner at 16 to replace PP?

If they want to use #16 on Newsome, then they're welcome to him...This is a fairly deep position group in this year's draft, so Bill should have a good prospect available to him throughout the first 2-1/2 days.

My first preference is trading with the Deadskins for #s 19 & 74/82...

If I must stand pat, then I would be fine with either DE Kwity Paye, LB/ED Zaven Collins or LT/LG Alijah Vera-Tucker, with DE Jason Oweh as the possible Gamble on Greatness...
IMO, there is a dropoff from 15 to even 19. I would strongly favor ANY of the top15 to the players that you named, as well as preferring Newsome as I mentioned.

5 QB
1 TE
3 WR
3 OT
2 CB
1 LB

14 GONE
5 QB
2 OT Slater, Sewell
1 TE Pitts
2 CB Surtain, Horn
1 LB Parsons
==============

Slight trade back and take Zaven Collins.

IMO, there is a dropoff from 15 to even 19. I would strongly favor ANY of the top15 to the players that you named, as well as preferring Newsome as I mentioned.

5 QB
1 TE
3 WR
3 OT
2 CB
1 LB

You prefer Newsome to the names I mentioned? I don't.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back