Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

How do you feel about extending Gilmore and trading Jackson?

• Total voters

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Jeff Howe has an article at The Athletic on predictions for next year.

The most controversial one, I think, is essentially this:

The Patriots will extend Stephon Gilmore’s contract and place a second-round tender on J.C. Jackson

Howe's logic is that the Patriots want more draft picks, and a second-round tender would tempt someone into signing Jackson to an offer sheet, which the Patriots would then not match. [Players who receive first-round tenders essentially never get offers.]

Thoughts?

giphy.gif

The question you need to ask yourself in any trade is whether you'll be able to get equal value in the draft? History hasn’t shown us that’s not possible for Bill.

Last edited:
Idk if I want anything to do with a 2nd rounder as the return on a trade.

Just sign JC up long term.

JC has 9 INTs but was absolutely roasted tonight. And last week too. I think he has some major flaws to be a #1 corner.

The secondary is the strength of our defense, I would keep both and build around them.
I would agree if Gilmore wasn’t on the wrong side of 30. No point in giving him a big deal (which he wants) for the next few years. By the time our rebuild is done he’ll be past his prime.

Jackson was not at his best yesterday but is worth keeping. Remember Gilmore was roasted in one game against Parker of Miami last year. Depends how much Gilmore wants if I would keep him or not.

This secondary plays with a huge disadvantage as the pass rush is a disaster. Allen was rarely under duress and the few times he was his running ability gave the WRs extra time and he was completing passes after the secondary had been in coverage for 5+ seconds.

I don't think it is a bad idea.

But given the age of Gilmore and JMac I am not sure giving away young talented DBs is a move we want to do. Thankfully we are not in win-now mode anymore but can start rebuilding the roster.

I think they should just first-round tender JC, extend Gilmore and then see what happens the next year. Would rather keep him for the relatively low cost one more year than lose him a year earlier for a second rounder. If they wanted ammo to move up for a QB a second obviously helps, but wouldn’t it be the next season’s second?

Jackson is a very solid CB and the odds of getting someone as good in the 2nd round is unlikely. Pass.

Duggar
NoJuan Williams
Duke Dawson
Cyrus Jones
Jordon Richards
Ras IR
Tavon Wilson

The list of 2nd rd DB busts is so long, I’m forgetting another 10 of them. For the love of God, do not let Bb draft any DBs in the second rd!

Jackson is a lot younger and he's already very good and getting better. I love Gilmore and I hope we find a way to keep him around. But if it comes down to either Gilmore or Jackson I have to choose Jackson on age alone. He'll be hitting his peak around the time Gilmore retires.

PS - What is RLKAG?

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back