PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Secondary appreciation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
JMac was acquired in trade from the Browns.

I haven't checked in with the re-watch thread yet, but it looked to me like DMac had great position in front of Thielen in the EZ ... until Gilmore collided with him crossing in the opposite direction (pick play/rub-route). JMac was behind Thielen and trailing a step, guarding against Theilen reversing field toward the post.

It was actually perfect coverage until the pick worked.

@203Pat
Yeah, I was thinking he was a FA pick up, but i was wrong. I was trying exclude Trent Brown's trade, cause I think that's the best one overall

About the play, you are probably be right, I certainly don't remeber the play all that well.

Good thread, this secondary is developing into one of the deepest and most flexible the team has fielded. With the current state of the game, a secondary roster that you can feel good about top to bottom is an extraordinary asset.

YES!
And the best part is... we have control over them for the long haul (except for J.Mac, irrc, who shouldn't be that hard to keep...). If they all remain, could this be the year where we don't draft a Secondary player in day 1-2 of the draft? Will Bill finally be satisfied??

In all seriousness, If we can get a good front 7 draft/Free agency next year, we could be talking about some magical defense for years to come

Last edited:
The safeties are also doing their job really well. Harmon is really developing and is the reason why I think D. McCourty could be in trouble next off-season, although he is playing well too.

I agree, and perhaps I'm nitpicking, but Harmon is in his sixth season. Is he still developing? Maybe. He's certainly cemented his place on the roster. And he's good for some very timely interceptions it seems.

I agree, and perhaps I'm nitpicking, but Harmon is in his sixth season. Is he still developing? Maybe. He's certainly cemented his place on the roster. And he's good for some very timely interceptions it seems.
Agree. Harmon is what he is- which is a very good player.

Yet we bash these guys at times when they’re back there for 7 seconds on days we’ve had a a mediocre pass rush.

Fortunately the defensive staff is making the most of our front 7 now, moving them around, standing them up, being super aggressive and the let the chips fall where they may with our secondary.

My only concern is DT depth and our rush defense against a good rushing attack (LAR) or a mobile QB (HOU playing better) or (KC). Obviously we can beat any of these teams and hopefully we only have to play one of them at most.

Jackson has been unbelievably solid. He still has areas in his game that he needs to clean up (gets a bit too physical on downfield throws which could, and will, draw flags), but he’s growing. He went toe to toe with maybe the most productive WR in the NFL and more than held his own. Gilmore on the other side effectively shut down his half of the field without safety help. The result was more sacks and 10 points allowed.

Jackson has been unbelievably solid. He still has areas in his game that he needs to clean up (gets a bit too physical on downfield throws which could, and will, draw flags), but he’s growing. He went toe to toe with maybe the most productive WR in the NFL and more than held his own. Gilmore on the other side effectively shut down his half of the field without safety help. The result was more sacks and 10 points allowed.
IIsee his physicality as a strength. Great CBs like Law and Revis were "hands on" physical players. But they were smart about it and didn't draw too many flags and usually won. Jackson looks like he has that skill as a rookie. Love his competitiveness and physicality, along with elite ball skills (watch his int's). JC and Gilly are very strong outside. JMac inside has not been as strong, and could face a challenge from Dawson in the coming week or two. Chung losing a step and some snaps to Obi, which bears watching. Overall pretty strong secondary that can continue to improve.

Last edited:
Yeah, I was thinking he was a FA pick up, but i was wrong. I was trying exclude Trent Brown's trade, cause I think that's the best one overall

About the play, you are probably be right, I certainly don't remeber the play all that well.

Yeah, I didn't notice the pick play until I saw it on replay.

YES!
And the best part is... we have control over them for the long haul (except for J.Mac, irrc, who shouldn't be that hard to keep...). If they all remain, could this be the year where we don't draft a Secondary player in day 1-2 of the draft? Will Bill finally be satisfied??

LOL! In the words of Rocky Roccoco, "Maybe yes and maybe no!"

In all seriousness, If we can get a good front 7 draft/Free agency next year, we could be talking about some magical defense for years to come

LB, DT, DE seem like high likelihood targets positionally (although that's rarely how it goes). Maybe WR. Almost certainly an OL or two somewhere along the line.

And it would be unusual for BB to NOT acquire at least a couple UDFA DBs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back