PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

J.J. Watt signing with Cardinals

Not surprised. This BS about Pats having an advantage because of available cap won't matter if they refuse to be competitive. Not saying this guy deserves that $$$ but there's always some fool willing to overpay. Expect 2nd and 3rd tier FAs.
It depends where the value is. Of course the right move is to buy the best value.

I think there are a couple teams out there that will put a lot of value on his size, coaching hes received, production and age. Butler is an above-average interior DL and very valuable in a rotational/situational role.

I could be way off. Malcom Brown got 3/15 and $5.5m guaranteed from the Saints but I think Butler is a better player.
I can’t imagine anyone views butler as more then an undersized jag with some interior rushing skills. Backup money, especially this year.

It depends where the value is. Of course the right move is to buy the best value.
Saying "this team's got a lot of holes" and then complaining when a massive contract is handed out to a single player - an older one with injury issues - is so Patsfans 2021.

I agree on Butler. He's young so I could see him getting something along the lines of 3/21, but 10 a year is a lot for him, particularly with the CAP drop. I hope he comes back, but there are a lot of guys out there who can do the job.

Saying "this team's got a lot of holes" and then complaining when a massive contract is handed out to a single player - an older one with injury issues - is so Patsfans 2021.

I agree on Butler. He's young so I could see him getting something along the lines of 3/21, but 10 a year is a lot for him, particularly with the CAP drop. I hope he comes back, but there are a lot of guys out there who can do the job.
It would be INSANE to pay Butler that kind of money.
10 mill is 1/18th or the cap.
Giving that to an undersized DT who sucks against the run and really should only be playing on 3rd down is beyond stupid.

It would be INSANE to pay Butler that kind of money.
10 mill is 1/18th or the cap.
Giving that to an undersized DT who sucks against the run and really should only be playing on 3rd down is beyond stupid.
I'm not disagreeing with you. My "10" number comes from other posts in this thread. I'd never give him that kind of $$$.

Was Butler better than Suh this year? Suh got what? 3?

I'm not disagreeing with you. My "10" number comes from other posts in this thread. I'd never give him that kind of $$$.

Was Butler better than Suh this year? Suh got what? 3?
7 is nuts too.
Here is a good comp Sheldon Rankins on NO. His contract is 4/12.8.

Or Malcolm Brown at 3/15.
Browns an early down DT and Butlers a sub. Brown is certainly a better player overall, so yeah but butler would be below that.

Damn. We all must be some really cheap bastards with the way we look at things. Hey paid him HOW MUCH $$? This board would explode if that **** happened in NE.
Do you think that is smart use of $31,000,000 of cap space?

Do you think that is smart use of $31,000,000 of cap space?
Of course not. That’s the point I was trying to make. If many of us were GM’s, with the way most of us talk, we’d be some cheap ass bastards. The money these fools around the league throw at players is crazy.

One aspect of making a gamble splash like this is psychological esp. since it happened so far ahead of New League Year.
Could benefit ARI talking to other FAs..

I can’t imagine anyone views butler as more then an undersized jag with some interior rushing skills. Backup money, especially this year.
We'll see.

I would like to personally thank Arizona for signing watt and saving bb from making an embarrassing mistake!

ps: Arizona needs to step up and sign newton before bb loses his mind again and does the unthinkable.....resign newton.

Chose the money over winning.
Not so sure. Watt will help that defensive front line. One of the biggest flaws of the Cardinals last year is that the defense couldn't hold. Murray can win shootouts as long as the defense can win some battles in the trenches. Watt will be a big help in this.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back