Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: vs Dolphins
Pick Results: MIA: 0% at NE: 0%

Sun
Sep 12th

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

NYCPATS4LIFE

In the Starting Line-Up
JJ was scheduled to make $17.5M in Houston and now he is going to make $15.5M in Arizona? And he asked to be released? And there were LOTS of teams clamoring for him, or so we are told. Arizona will not sniff a ring, so why change teams? Good for him I guess. More money than I will make in 2021.

Maybe legit contenders where not gonna pay him that type of money. He got some sucker to give him that money.

Nehalem

In the Starting Line-Up
32 years old.

One year in the past 5 with more than 5 sacks. 15.5m/season... I thought there was a cap crunch?o_O

NYCPATS4LIFE

In the Starting Line-Up
I'm expecting that $31M to include a bunch of incentives. I wonder if it's maybe just $23M/2yr fully guaranteed base with $8M in incentives. If that $31M is the real base value, then it's bizarre to see a contract with functional cash flow of $23M in year 1 and $8M in year 2.

How much cap room do they have? Maybe some extensions and restructures.

mgcolby

Woohoo, I'm a VIP!!!
PatsFans.com Supporter
I really thought a lot of the big name guys that ultimately get cut because of the new cap would sign lower paying one year deals or back loaded contracts with smaller first year cap hits. Guess that isn't the case if you are a big name guy and have no competition from other FA's. Will be very interesting to see how the money flows this year.

I think we will see some interesting creativity with the contracts and the numbers.

Sciz

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
How much cap room do they have? Maybe some extensions and restructures.
$11M before Watt, so he will get them awfully close to the cap. They've got 7 starters unsigned (notably Peterson, Fitzgerald, and Reddick), so they've got work to do.

NYCPATS4LIFE

In the Starting Line-Up
$11M before Watt, so he will get them awfully close to the cap. They've got 7 starters unsigned (notably Peterson, Fitzgerald, and Reddick), so they've got work to do.

I think Peterson is gone. They also need money for their draft picks.

long distance

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
The price for Adam Butler just went up.

nope. the more $ is spent on top contracts the more loss will be on the mid/low contracts.

If insanity like this deal prevails on Day1 despite 30M less cap per team (GMs planned on +210M projection), there will be a lot of sad players/agents later pushing for 1y deals..

RobertWeathers

Chairman & CEO of Team Bill
PatsFans.com Supporter
nope. the more $ is spent on top contracts the more loss will be on the mid/low contracts.

If insanity like this deal prevails on Day1 despite 30M less cap per team (GMs planned on +210M projection), there will be a lot of sad players/agents later pushing for 1y deals..
I think Butler is going to get more than you think he will.

NYCPATS4LIFE

In the Starting Line-Up
I don’t know how you give a guy 23 million guaranteed when his numbers have decreased the last two years. He’s gonna be 32. I bet contending teams where offering less than that.

ashley1992

Staff member
PatsFans.com Supporter
Wow, don't think anyone had him signing with the AZ....guess money did the talking.:)

Deus Irae

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
PatsFans.com Supporter
I don’t know how you give a guy 23 million guaranteed when his numbers have decreased the last two years. He’s gonna be 32. I bet contending teams where offering less than that.
I think the money is too high, but I understand the Cardinal's reasoning. The NFCW is a division where you'd better be able to kill the QB, or you're in deep trouble against that opposing offense. The Cardinals are gambling that Watt will have a comeback year.

NYCPATS4LIFE

In the Starting Line-Up
I think the money is too high, but I understand the Cardinal's reasoning. The NFCW is a division where you'd better be able to kill the QB, or you're in deep trouble against that opposing offense. The Cardinals are gambling that Watt will have a comeback year.

That’s a big gamble. They likely will have to replace Peterson. Reddick do they have the money to pay him?

long distance

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
I'm expecting that $31M to include a bunch of incentives. I wonder if it's maybe just $23M/2yr fully guaranteed base with $8M in incentives. If that $31M is the real base value, then it's bizarre to see a contract with functional cash flow of $23M in year 1 and $8M in year 2.

Still 23M guaranteed is quite a gamble. I understand GM is getting nervous & they bought into hysteria of maximizing rookie QB contract but this is not how you win. They are 24-39 without a single winning season or playoff since they signed CJ on that monster deal and now they have him on 21M cap hit in his last year.

I understand Watt is different breed bc he can actually play run, set the edge, push the pocket - the works & that this is probably a bit of a culture help move as well but.. On the other hand at 32 IF healthy he is still significant upgrade on the whole on CJ..

venecol

The FRG has a little ****
So much for the cap is going to affect the contracts for flashy FAs. Is the cap crap? Lol