PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

J.J. Watt signing with Cardinals

JJ was scheduled to make $17.5M in Houston and now he is going to make $15.5M in Arizona? And he asked to be released? And there were LOTS of teams clamoring for him, or so we are told. Arizona will not sniff a ring, so why change teams? Good for him I guess. More money than I will make in 2021.

Maybe legit contenders where not gonna pay him that type of money. He got some sucker to give him that money.

32 years old.

One year in the past 5 with more than 5 sacks. 15.5m/season... I thought there was a cap crunch?o_O

I'm expecting that $31M to include a bunch of incentives. I wonder if it's maybe just $23M/2yr fully guaranteed base with $8M in incentives. If that $31M is the real base value, then it's bizarre to see a contract with functional cash flow of $23M in year 1 and $8M in year 2.

How much cap room do they have? Maybe some extensions and restructures.

I really thought a lot of the big name guys that ultimately get cut because of the new cap would sign lower paying one year deals or back loaded contracts with smaller first year cap hits. Guess that isn't the case if you are a big name guy and have no competition from other FA's. Will be very interesting to see how the money flows this year.

I think we will see some interesting creativity with the contracts and the numbers.

How much cap room do they have? Maybe some extensions and restructures.
$11M before Watt, so he will get them awfully close to the cap. They've got 7 starters unsigned (notably Peterson, Fitzgerald, and Reddick), so they've got work to do.

$11M before Watt, so he will get them awfully close to the cap. They've got 7 starters unsigned (notably Peterson, Fitzgerald, and Reddick), so they've got work to do.

I think Peterson is gone. They also need money for their draft picks.

The price for Adam Butler just went up.

nope. the more $ is spent on top contracts the more loss will be on the mid/low contracts.

If insanity like this deal prevails on Day1 despite 30M less cap per team (GMs planned on +210M projection), there will be a lot of sad players/agents later pushing for 1y deals..

nope. the more $ is spent on top contracts the more loss will be on the mid/low contracts.

If insanity like this deal prevails on Day1 despite 30M less cap per team (GMs planned on +210M projection), there will be a lot of sad players/agents later pushing for 1y deals..
I think Butler is going to get more than you think he will.

I don’t know how you give a guy 23 million guaranteed when his numbers have decreased the last two years. He’s gonna be 32. I bet contending teams where offering less than that.

So he doesn’t want a ring after all

It's the Tom Brady effect. Now every team thinks they can sign an aging superstar and win a Super Bowl. :)

Wow, don't think anyone had him signing with the AZ....guess money did the talking.:)

I don’t know how you give a guy 23 million guaranteed when his numbers have decreased the last two years. He’s gonna be 32. I bet contending teams where offering less than that.
I think the money is too high, but I understand the Cardinal's reasoning. The NFCW is a division where you'd better be able to kill the QB, or you're in deep trouble against that opposing offense. The Cardinals are gambling that Watt will have a comeback year.

Reddick is free agent as well. Interesting to see what he gets.

I think the money is too high, but I understand the Cardinal's reasoning. The NFCW is a division where you'd better be able to kill the QB, or you're in deep trouble against that opposing offense. The Cardinals are gambling that Watt will have a comeback year.

That’s a big gamble. They likely will have to replace Peterson. Reddick do they have the money to pay him?

I'm expecting that $31M to include a bunch of incentives. I wonder if it's maybe just $23M/2yr fully guaranteed base with $8M in incentives. If that $31M is the real base value, then it's bizarre to see a contract with functional cash flow of $23M in year 1 and $8M in year 2.

Still 23M guaranteed is quite a gamble. I understand GM is getting nervous & they bought into hysteria of maximizing rookie QB contract but this is not how you win. They are 24-39 without a single winning season or playoff since they signed CJ on that monster deal and now they have him on 21M cap hit in his last year.

I understand Watt is different breed bc he can actually play run, set the edge, push the pocket - the works & that this is probably a bit of a culture help move as well but.. On the other hand at 32 IF healthy he is still significant upgrade on the whole on CJ..

So much for the cap is going to affect the contracts for flashy FAs. Is the cap crap? Lol

That’s a big gamble. They likely will have to replace Peterson. Reddick do they have the money to pay him?
Reports are that they're looking at CBs in the draft.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back