PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Interesting comment from Gil Brandt regarding quarterbacks in this year's draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree. Not necessarily that it MUST be true. It could be equally true that clev made a good offer, bb agreed but said we don't make it official til you are on the clock and I see draftees I want are still available.

If we're going to be pedantic about it, my statement is still true: BB didn't consider it sufficient value to pull the trigger right then and there. :)

Feel free to ignore the thread. Nobody is dragging you over here to read it. The Jimmy G story has not yet closed. It will once the draft has ended.

Never mind, found it.

Thanks for replying to a multi paragraph response with a passive aggressive non-answer.
It's not passive aggressive at all and I can't help it if you're verbose.

Nobody would ever suggest trading a first round pick for a year of a back up QB.

Well with today's renewed "reports" that the Pats will hold on to Garoppolo, one thing is sure.

Those reports are either true, or they're false. ;)

This of course is the pre-draft mis-information period - IF the Pats are going to trade Garoppolo then they MUST act like they don't want to trade him - especially in an underwhelming QB draft.

The funny thing is, I take the report that the Browns are considering using #1 on Trubitsky the pre-cursor to offering the Pats the #1 pick for Garoppolo.

By stating that they would consider using the top pick on a QB who DOESN'T have Garoppolo's proven NFL experience - not to mention a few years learning beside Brady and Belichick - is one way to lay the foundation with the fan base that Garoppolo is by far the better deal at #1.

Heck - he's even signed at less than $1 million for a try out year - no adverse cap hit if he doesn't cut the mustard.

How could that NOT be more valuable than a green unproven rookie QB who still gets a $30 mil contract (nearly$20 mil of which would be guaranteed)

This is a QB starved league and Belichick knows it - all of those factors - not to mention the retirement of Romo - make Garoppolo more valuable now than ever before and Belichick knows it - though I agree, this is Garoppolo's peak value in this trade season.

Which is also why he's probably content to hold onto Garoppolo if the price isn't to his liking - raising the possibility that indeed, Garoppolo could be part of Belichick's long term plan.

This of course is the pre-draft mis-information period - IF the Pats are going to trade Garoppolo then they MUST act like they don't want to trade him - especially in an underwhelming QB draft.

I don't think they're acting. . . .

Usually I wouldn't take those kinda reports seriously during this time of year but Schefter is really going all-in on no Jimmy trade in the last two months. I don't remember him being as confident on other topics as he is on this.

It's not passive aggressive at all and I can't help it if you're verbose.

Nobody would ever suggest trading a first round pick for a year of a back up QB.

You can repeat that strawman as often as you like. It is not even close to being the same thing as I clearly explained before. The Pats will leverage a late second round pick/early third round pick out of JG eventually next year. They will not stand around empty-handed after he is gone.

Can't wait for the draft to come and go with JG still on the roster..

Last edited:
You can repeat that strawman as often as you like. It is not even close to being the same thing as I clearly explained before. The Pats will leverage a late second round pick/early third round pick out of JG eventually next year. They will not stand around empty-handed after he is gone.

Can't wait for the draft to come and go with JG still on the roster..
You misused passive aggressive and now you're misusing strawman.

I don't think they're acting. . . .

Well as I said, they're either telling the truth or they're lying

But if they're not going to be offered #1 or #2 PLUS some picks in this mediocre draft devoid of good QB prospects, I'm with them - I'd rather see what comes of 2017, and the possibility that Brady calls it quits after his 6th ring and see if Garoppolo could be the QB of the future

But my general assumption is that GMs are FAR from openly truthful, especially about the draft and trade plans.

So I think Garoppolo is available but only for the right price.

With the 49ers now joining the Browns in saying they may use #1 or #2 on a rookie QB with no NFL experience and a $20 mil guaranteed contract, it seems to me both may be preparing their fan base for the notion of trading their top pick for an experienced NFL QB

I disagree. Not necessarily that it MUST be true. It could be equally true that clev made a good offer, bb agreed but said we don't make it official til you are on the clock and I see draftees I want are still available.

That also fits in with a possible explanation for the JAG 'someone stole my phone' Tweet.

I will tune in around pick 10 and hold my breath to see what happens, but claiming you know answer trade/not with bb making the decision is like putting all your money on red at the roulette wheel. Good luck.

Also, for those saying JAG ain't worth a 1st rnd pick. Bob Kraft gave up a 1st to get someone who doesn't even play on the field. (Some asst coach who failed at his last job.) So why wouldn't clev or Texans think a possible franchise QB is worth a first.

As I recall Atlanta traded a young QB for a First round pick. I think on the whole Green Bay got the better side of that trade for Bret Favre...

Also, for those saying JAG ain't worth a 1st rnd pick. Bob Kraft gave up a 1st to get someone who doesn't even play on the field. (Some asst coach who failed at his last job.) So why wouldn't clev or Texans think a possible franchise QB is worth a first.
If you mean BB keep in mind he failed so badly in his last real job that he was promoted from assistant to HC of the NY Jets. And he did so well in that job he moved from being head coach of the Jets to being head coach of te Patriots in just one day. I would not call that a failure.

I have spent considerable time scouting this year's prospects at QB.

None of them can match Jimmy G's talent.

Holding on to him for the future is the right move by BB. (seems like he always makes the right move)

I could almost see the appeal of a trade like that from the Browns perspective if going 6-10 would be a good thing for the franchise. Garoppolo with the rest of that team as it is right now would give them a seasom wonewhere between 5-11 and 7-9. He's not going to build a winner out of nowhere. He's not going to turn a terrible franchise into a great one anymore than would happen if the Jets somehow got Garoppolo.

The Browns trading for Jimmy G is an elegant solution to the wrong problem. Their issues are on defense and are fundamental rather than positional. They need a fundamental sea change that a single above average quarterback is not going to give them. Become a better organization with a better plan and you will have better teams. You don't solve organizational problems with personnel.
Even if the Browns had an elite defense they would still have a gaping void for their QB depth chart. Rookie Cody Kessler? Brock Ostweiler?

Part of becoming a better organization is hiring better employees. Talent matters. It's not the only thing, but it's a big part of things. This draft is deep in D talent, they can complement Collins with some other young difference-maker in that side of the ball. They can't at the most important position on offense.

If you mean BB keep in mind he failed so badly in his last real job that he was promoted from assistant to HC of the NY Jets. And he did so well in that job he moved from being head coach of the Jets to being head coach of te Patriots in just one day. I would not call that a failure.

It was a joke. Jokes require an element of truth, not the whole story.

Operative point was they gave up a first for a COACH. Others were prev saying Pats would never be so stupid as to give up a 1st so easily for a QB. But pats are asking others to do so for JAG. I simply said they gave up more for a nonplayer, so expecting a 1st+ for a 'franchise QB' is not unreasonable.

There is a whole series of questions that must be considered if you are going to trade Garoppolo.

Can the Patriots win in 2017 with Jimmy Garoppolo? Yes.

Can the Patriots win in 2017 with Jacoby Brisset? Almost certainly not.

Will Tom Brady play at a high level for another 5 years? Probably not.

Is it financially feasible to keep Garoppolo around at least for 2018? Yes.

Will a player selected at #12 make an immediate impact? Only if someone like Ruben Foster, Solomon Thomas, Jonathan Allen or Derek Barnett fall.

Are the players listed above equal in value to a starting QB who is established in this team's system? Probably not.

Is Jimmy Garoppolo a sure enough thing that he is worth the Browns or Niners giving up a top 10 pick in 2018? Probably not.

What is a boatload of 2nd round picks going to contribute on this roster? Very little.

One could argue that BB's tenure as HC of the NYJ was one of the most successful in their history. :eek:

There is a whole series of questions that must be considered if you are going to trade Garoppolo.

Can the Patriots win in 2017 with Jimmy Garoppolo? Yes.
They can also win in 2017 without him.
Can the Patriots win in 2017 with Jacoby Brisset? Almost certainly not.
Why in the world would you say this when they won in 2016 with him?

Like Garoppolo, they can win with Brissett and they can win without him. That's one of the benefits of having the greatest QB of all time.
Is it financially feasible to keep Garoppolo around at least for 2018? Yes.
This is a ridiculously optimistic statement. We don't know what other teams will offer.
Will a player selected at #12 make an immediate impact? Only if someone like Ruben Foster, Solomon Thomas, Jonathan Allen or Derek Barnett fall.
I think Belichick could find an immediate contributor at that spot. It will be quite a bit higher than NE usually drafts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back