PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Interesting comment from Gil Brandt regarding quarterbacks in this year's draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are 100% correct, except if he really is good.......if he can be that leader you haven't had for a long long time.
You simply don't have enough to go on to make that call and take that risk without knowing you're high-rolling. You don't pay full price when you're high-rolling.

You simply don't have enough to go on to make that call and take that risk without knowing you're high-rolling. You don't pay full price when you're high-rolling.

Oh I sure do not......but I am also 100% confident that BB knows whether JG can be that guy and that information reduces the risk. That's good enough for me, has been all century.

But nobody has ever suggested the Pats trade a first round pick for some other team's backup.

I don't see your point. But lets repeat what has been said hundreds of times by now. It always boils down to a question of value vs. risk.

How often do you have a backup QB on a cheap deal that by all accounts could be a starter for many other teams in the league and could take your team to the SB if your older, starting QB gets injured ?

You can't just inverse the situation, because quite frankly the reversal doesn't exist. You don't trade for a QB of JG's projected level to sit on the bench because it is cost restrictive AND players at that level generally prefer to be on the field. Which is why at best you get the Matt Moore, Josh McCown level of backup QBs. And at that point the question becomes if a backup for those 1.5-3m a year is worth the cost relative to a rookie that you can mold specifically for your system.

Now, would I trade JG for say a combination of #12 + #76 ? I would - mostly because I think that this draft is deep enough to stock up at various positions where we are getting slowly older. But at the same time I also fully understand if we keep him to prevent the same single point of failure debacle that cost us good shot at another potential championship in 2008 - especially now with a very stacked team on offense while we have a nice 2 year window before certain contract/age situations will come up.

Worst case JG spends a full season on the bench because nothing happens to Brady and will get traded next year for a second round pick/early third round pick. I can live with that. And if something were to happen to Brady.. well you know..

All of this has been said before and all of this will be said again. So say we all.

I like Luuked's thought process/analysis as stated before. JG is a great insurance policy. One season at a time. We have our opponents. We have a wonderful opportunity to stick it to the whole NFL once again. Next year.. Let Bill and the boys worry about that. In this amazing off season of signings and replacements, we await some maneuvering by BB in the draft. That alone should fill the inbox here until Summer practices.

When I realized this was another JAG thread, I sprung into immediate action...

View attachment 16921

Can I get an amen! It seems pretty clear that they aren't going to trade him (for which I am personally glad) and even if this were still a possibility, every aspect of this subject has been covered ad nauseum.

This draft can't come soon enough.

I could almost see the appeal of a trade like that from the Browns perspective if going 6-10 would be a good thing for the franchise. Garoppolo with the rest of that team as it is right now would give them a seasom wonewhere between 5-11 and 7-9. He's not going to build a winner out of nowhere. He's not going to turn a terrible franchise into a great one anymore than would happen if the Jets somehow got Garoppolo.

The Browns trading for Jimmy G is an elegant solution to the wrong problem. Their issues are on defense and are fundamental rather than positional. They need a fundamental sea change that a single above average quarterback is not going to give them. Become a better organization with a better plan and you will have better teams. You don't solve organizational problems with personnel.

Trading an upper half first for a guy who looks good but has barely played? With only one year of definite control as a franchise which could be a tough sell to stick around with? When you might even be able to sign him for just money in a year? And when you are much more than a quarterback away from real legitimacy?

If the pats made a trade like that going the other way this fanbase would EXPLODE!

The fact that this fanbase is so convinced it's a great deal even as they press their luck and reach for more is all the reason I need to think that the original deal fell through because someone in the Browns organization woke up, smelled the coffee, realized what they were about to give away and got cold feet about the whole deal. You will note there hasn't been a peep out of Cleveland on the subject of the trade in months. I think that may be why.
Actually that's a sign they're in the hunt. Cleveland's FO is way more savvy now than a couple of years ago, so the fact they're not talking about it even though they need a QB tells me they're interested. They may wait until 5 minutes before picking at #12 before offering the pick, but I think they'll part with it for JG, who's 50x more proven and ready than the rookies in this year's draft. And I think BB will take it with a small sweetener like a 2018 4th.

The Browns are also closer than people think, they're ready for a big improvement this year and next, and have umpteen 1st & 2nd round draft choices the next 2 drafts. They don't see themselves on a 5 year path, rather a 1-2 year path. In a way I don't even want JG going there cause I think they're going to be scary by 2018.

I don't see your point. But lets repeat what has been said hundreds of times by now. It always boils down to a question of value vs. risk.

How often do you have a backup QB on a cheap deal that by all accounts could be a starter for many other teams in the league and could take your team to the SB if your older, starting QB gets injured ?

You can't just inverse the situation, because quite frankly the reversal doesn't exist. You don't trade for a QB of JG's projected level to sit on the bench because it is cost restrictive AND players at that level generally prefer to be on the field. Which is why at best you get the Matt Moore, Josh McCown level of backup QBs. And at that point the question becomes if a backup for those 1.5-3m a year is worth the cost relative to a rookie that you can mold specifically for your system.

Now, would I trade JG for say a combination of #12 + #76 ? I would - mostly because I think that this draft is deep enough to stock up at various positions where we are getting slowly older. But at the same time I also fully understand if we keep him to prevent the same single point of failure debacle that cost us good shot at another potential championship in 2008 - especially now with a very stacked team on offense while we have a nice 2 year window before certain contract/age situations will come up.

Worst case JG spends a full season on the bench because nothing happens to Brady and will get traded next year for a second round pick/early third round pick. I can live with that. And if something were to happen to Brady.. well you know..

All of this has been said before and all of this will be said again. So say we all.
Of course you can "inverse the situation," unless you think JG is a special unicorn the likes of which has never been seen before.

Of course you can "inverse the situation," unless you think JG is a special unicorn the likes of which has never been seen before.

Thanks for replying to a multi paragraph response with a passive aggressive non-answer.

I could almost see the appeal of a trade like that from the Browns perspective if going 6-10 would be a good thing for the franchise. Garoppolo with the rest of that team as it is right now would give them a seasom wonewhere between 5-11 and 7-9. He's not going to build a winner out of nowhere. He's not going to turn a terrible franchise into a great one anymore than would happen if the Jets somehow got Garoppolo.

The Browns trading for Jimmy G is an elegant solution to the wrong problem. Their issues are on defense and are fundamental rather than positional. They need a fundamental sea change that a single above average quarterback is not going to give them. Become a better organization with a better plan and you will have better teams. You don't solve organizational problems with personnel.

You still need a good quarterback that doesn't melt under pressure. Without that nothing else you have matters.

Shefter must be reading this......

Reposted by him at 6:35 today:

ICYMI (in February): Jimmy Garappolo isn't going anywhere. His name continues to surface in trade rumors and speculation - not happening.

Shefter must be reading this......

Reposted by him at 6:35 today:

ICYMI (in February): Jimmy Garappolo isn't going anywhere. His name continues to surface in trade rumors and speculation - not happening.

Close thread. Pretty please.

Go ask the Cowboys or Texans how useful compentent insurance at a position like QB is.

Can't wait for next week to be over.

we won 11 games with matt cassel. i think brisset can get us 10.

As I've said before, the fact that Garoppolo is still a Patriot means exactly one thing:

No one has made an offer to Belichick that he deems sufficient value for not having Garoppolo in 2017.

It could be he's holding out for two firsts; maybe no one's made a serious offer. Either way, the above statement must be true.

As I've said before, the fact that Garoppolo is still a Patriot means exactly one thing:

No one has made an offer to Belichick that he deems sufficient value for not having Garoppolo in 2017.

It could be he's holding out for two firsts; maybe no one's made a serious offer. Either way, the above statement must be true.

I disagree. Not necessarily that it MUST be true. It could be equally true that clev made a good offer, bb agreed but said we don't make it official til you are on the clock and I see draftees I want are still available.

That also fits in with a possible explanation for the JAG 'someone stole my phone' Tweet.

I will tune in around pick 10 and hold my breath to see what happens, but claiming you know answer trade/not with bb making the decision is like putting all your money on red at the roulette wheel. Good luck.

Also, for those saying JAG ain't worth a 1st rnd pick. Bob Kraft gave up a 1st to get someone who doesn't even play on the field. (Some asst coach who failed at his last job.) So why wouldn't clev or Texans think a possible franchise QB is worth a first.

Feel free to ignore the thread. Nobody is dragging you over here to read it. The Jimmy G story has not yet closed. It will once the draft has ended.

Or the trade deadline. . . .

The thread brings nothing new the table. It happens, just own it.

If you could tell me how to ignore the thread that would be much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back