PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Interesting comment from Gil Brandt regarding quarterbacks in this year's draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

amazinPats

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
“I think (next year’s quarterback class) factors in a great deal,” Brandt said during a conference call on Wednesday. “People now look ahead. Let’s just use San Francisco. They’re trying to decide whether to take a quarterback or a position player, and in all probability, they’ve already scouted next year’s class. I think that’s one of the things that made (Eagles vice president of football operations) Howie Roseman make the deal to move up to get Carson Wentz (last year). He looked at this year’s class, and didn’t see any franchise quarterbacks. So I think everybody looks at those players, especially at that position. And maybe you can wait.”

Surely, this will factor in on whether Jimmy G will be traded this year. Seems like his value will be somewhat attenuated in 2018. But on the other hand, Pats have another year to showcase his talents. This is complicated. Tough decision for the team.

You're going to get a lot less if you wait until next year to trade him. He likely won't play any meaningful minutes, he'll be given the franchise tag to keep his rights, becoming a very high paid, unproven QB. My guess? 2nd round pick.

This year if you trade him? #12 from Cleveland plus at least another 2nd round pick (perhaps more).

Just don't know how you can not trade him. There's always risk in football, no matter what you do. Having JG as insurance for a year is nice. But what you're giving up for that insurance?

Just don't know how you can not trade him. There's always risk in football, no matter what you do. Having JG as insurance for a year is nice. But what you're giving up for that insurance?

Go ask the Cowboys or Texans how useful compentent insurance at a position like QB is.

Can't wait for next week to be over.

This is probably the year of his highest value.. crappy quarterback class, he showed he can play the game, has one year left on his rookie contract and there is no long term investment required for the receiving team.

Next year there are too many variables to predict... now is the time. Next year signing Jimmy G. will have to have a big long term number, right now it is low risk and high reward..

You're going to get a lot less if you wait until next year to trade him. He likely won't play any meaningful minutes, he'll be given the franchise tag to keep his rights, becoming a very high paid, unproven QB. My guess? 2nd round pick.

This year if you trade him? #12 from Cleveland plus at least another 2nd round pick (perhaps more).

That Cleveland trade proposal should not be taken as an article of faith. We have no idea why that trade broke down. Possibly either or both decided it wasn't in their best interest after the initial enthusiasm dies down.

I think the 12 may have been on the table at one point. I do not actually think it is on the table now. Certainly the Browns are not a quarterback away from the playoffs so Garoppolo is not a take it or leave it proposition for them. However much we might like that to be Hthe case. There is a definite argument to be made for the Browns to hold pat this year and draft for their defense and draft their franchise quarterback in 2018

“I think (next year’s quarterback class) factors in a great deal,” Brandt said during a conference call on Wednesday. “People now look ahead. Let’s just use San Francisco. They’re trying to decide whether to take a quarterback or a position player, and in all probability, they’ve already scouted next year’s class. I think that’s one of the things that made (Eagles vice president of football operations) Howie Roseman make the deal to move up to get Carson Wentz (last year). He looked at this year’s class, and didn’t see any franchise quarterbacks. So I think everybody looks at those players, especially at that position. And maybe you can wait.”

Surely, this will factor in on whether Jimmy G will be traded this year. Seems like his value will be somewhat attenuated in 2018. But on the other hand, Pats have another year to showcase his talents. This is complicated. Tough decision for the team.
I hope the Pats have ZERO opportunity to "showcase" Jimmy next year.

That Cleveland trade proposal should not be taken as an article of faith. We have no idea why that trade broke down. Possibly either or both decided it wasn't in their best interest after the initial enthusiasm dies down.

I think the 12 may have been on the table at one point. I do not actually think it is on the table now. Certainly the Browns are not a quarterback away from the playoffs so Garoppolo is not a take it or leave it proposition for them. However much we might like that to be Hthe case. There is a definite argument to be made for the Browns to hold pat this year and draft for their defense and draft their franchise quarterback in 2018
They may not be a "JAG" away, but.... They have Collins next 4 years, they draft Garrett, have him 4 or 5 years.. putting Jimmy on a 4 years deal if he looks legit.. they could be building something right now with all those draft picks. If they pick one of these QBs with the 12, and could have had Jimmy who is likely more ready to play? Nothing is a slam dunk other than they fact you need a franchise QB or a better than good one. They have a lot of picks and should have some good players. If the Browns are not a decent team in a few years they never will be.

Go ask the Cowboys or Texans how useful compentent insurance at a position like QB is.

Can't wait for next week to be over.
But nobody has ever suggested the Pats trade a first round pick for some other team's backup.

But nobody has ever suggested the Pats trade a first round pick for some other team's backup.

I might think about if it was primarily due to the fact that the starter happens to be the GOAT. Think Montana / Young.

I don't understand your point.

If we were as Cleveland is now and think JG is, or has the potential to be, that franchise QB that we need -- I'd part with my # 1 draft choice in a NY Jest minute.

(Responding to your question of the Pats parting with a #1 choice for a back up).

Trading an upper half first for a guy who looks good but has barely played? With only one year of definite control as a franchise which could be a tough sell to stick around with? When you might even be able to sign him for just money in a year? And when you are much more than a quarterback away from real legitimacy?

If the pats made a trade like that going the other way this fanbase would EXPLODE!

The fact that this fanbase is so convinced it's a great deal even as they press their luck and reach for more is all the reason I need to think that the original deal fell through because someone in the Browns organization woke up, smelled the coffee, realized what they were about to give away and got cold feet about the whole deal. You will note there hasn't been a peep out of Cleveland on the subject of the trade in months. I think that may be why.

Last edited:
If we were as Cleveland is now and think JG is, or has the potential to be, that franchise QB that we need -- I'd part with my # 1 draft choice in a NY Jest minute.

(Responding to your question of the Pats parting with a #1 choice for a back up).
Oh, ok, I understand. I'm actually asking from the standpoint of the Pats though, and the idea that they would give up a (relatively high, too) first round pick for one year of a back up. That just seems nutty, but a lot of people are saying it.

Tell us something that we don't know, Gil. I personally don't find this interesting or insightful. Garoppolo's value this offseason versus next in the context of the college prospects at quarterback has been mentioned numerous times in multiple threads.

Why has this deal been killed? BB put out the word to SEVERAL media people he wasn't trading JG -- that's why. The answer has been no or...."we want the first pick in the draft plus another #1 next year."

And Cleveland wouldn't bite (who can blame them?). Whether BB comes down on his demands? We'll see. But if he does, Cleveland unquestionably would still be interested. Cleveland bought a 2nd round pick with JG in mind.

Still think if BB is willing to take a very good package including #12 plus another 2nd (perhaps more) Cleveland will bite. We'll find out soon enough.

Trading an upper half first for a guy who looks good but has barely played? With only one year of definite control as a franchise which could be a tough sell to stick around with? When you might even be able to sign him for just money in a year? And when you are much more than a quarterback away from real legitimacy?

If the pats made a trade like that going the other way this fanbase would EXPLODE!

The fact that this fanbase is so convinced it's a great deal even as they press their luck and reach for more is all the reason I need to think that the original deal fell through because someone in the Browns organization woke up, smelled the coffee, realized what they were about to give away and got cold feet about the whole deal. You will note there hasn't been a peep out of Cleveland on the subject of the trade in months. I think that may be why.

You are 100% correct, except if he really is good.......if he can be that leader you haven't had for a long long time.

Oh, ok, I understand. I'm actually asking from the standpoint of the Pats though, and the idea that they would give up a (relatively high, too) first round pick for one year of a back up. That just seems nutty, but a lot of people are saying it.
It seems nutty because it is nutty. Some of the fans are having a failure of perspective.

The only way we get that price for Garoppolo is if multiple teams are bidding or a team bids against itself. No one else is on on Garoppolo and the Browns have stopped bidding against themselves.

Add yet another possible rationale to the list of explanations why JAG may not be traded. The Jimmy acolytes interpret a non-trade to mean that Brady is toast in 2018+ but if the market is not there for a #1 this year or equivalent value then it's "cheap" to keep JAG as an insurance policy if his spring 2017 trade value is a limp 2nd rounder.

Add yet another possible rationale to the list of explanations why JAG may not be traded. The Jimmy acolytes interpret a non-trade to mean that Brady is toast in 2018+ but if the market is not there for a #1 this year or equivalent value then it's "cheap" to keep JAG as an insurance policy if his spring 2017 trade value is a limp 2nd rounder.
If the market's not there then the market's not there, but if the market's there the Pats should move him this year if they're planning to move him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back