PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jimmy G interview in SI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biffins

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
He did a special report article with Sports Illustrated and talks about how Tom's the only guy he's backed up and he wants to start so badly, that's he' so eager to start, that he's not used to backing up, blah blah blah.

I feel he wants to make some noise as he approaches Free Agency next year and there will be more interviews and articles to come as the year progresses.

Why do I feel this is going to become a distraction this year?

Jimmy Garoppolo: ‘I Want to Be a Starter’

Here's an excerpt:

One 2014 draft classmate of his, Derek Carr (47 starts), just signed a five-year, $125 million deal. Blake Bortles (45 starts) is getting a shot at winning over the new Jags’ brass after a rough 2016, and Teddy Bridgewater (28 starts) is being paced back from injury. Johnny Manziel (eight starts) and Zach Mettenberger (10 starts) got their chances, and even Tom Savage (two starts) is getting his.

Eight quarterbacks drafted that year have combined for 145 NFL starts. Three years in, just two of those belong to Garoppolo.

“I wouldn’t say frustrated is the word,” Garoppolo responded, when I brought it up. "I wouldn’t say I’m frustrated. Eager to play is probably a better way to put it. I’m just not used to being a backup. I want to be a starter, and compete to be a starter. That’s how I look at it.”"

“I tried to shut myself out from it,” Garoppolo says. “But just naturally, friends, family, would say, ‘Hey, did you hear this? Did you see this?’ It was that type of thing. I’d end up hearing about it one way or the other. A lot of it was rumor. Then it started to get serious for a while. And the whole Instagram hacking thing, that was something else. I try not to think about it much, but it’s always in the back of my mind.”

He sure wants more, and he didn’t hesitate when I asked him if he sees himself as a starter.

“Yeah,” he responded, smiling. “One day.”

That day is coming.

Last edited:
A thread about QB controversy....

giphy.gif

I don't have any problem with anything he said. Of course he wants to play, but winning the job is on him.

I am just referring to the fact that he agreed to this interview and article. He didn't have to but he wants to start making some noise come FA next year.

There could be more articles to come and more interviews, and hence the distraction.

And none of those classmates have a SB ring, never mind two rings!

Great, we needed a backup/QB of the future and instead we apparently got a member of the 2017 Red Sox (yapper and bus thrower under).

Is that really the thread title?

I don't have any problem with anything he said. Of course he wants to play, but winning the job is on him.
It sounds like posturing to me. If he didn't want to say something that would end up on his coaches desk, he would have been better off saying he just wants to compete and beat out Brady for the job.

He's 25. In a league where too many not-ready-for-primtime QBs are starting & failing, there are much worse QBs to be than Jimmy G.

He'll get his chance. And I think he'll succeed. But, let's hold off re : alarmist threat title. Also, though I am glad JG wants to compete hard, let's (again) keep things real. He is an end-of-the-second-round QB who came from a school with little fanfare. That is not to say he can't succeed in the league. But we're not talking about someone coming off two National Championships from a top rate program. I doubt JG was ready, for good, until recently.

The Patriots NEVER have "distractions." If they haven't had a "distraction" from everything that's happened in the last five years, they're not having one over this piddling ****. Hilarious...
If a player becomes a distraction BB either...

Cuts them

Trades them

Death by exile

I am just referring to the fact that he agreed to this interview and article. He didn't have to but he wants to start making some noise come FA next year.

There could be more articles to come and more interviews, and hence the distraction.
The guy holding the clipboard while thr GOAT plays like an MVP won't be a distraction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back