PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hypothetical: if you could trade winning both Giants SB's for the two most recent ones... would you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
tough one ...
The Perfect Season vs The Mega Dynasty

I always choose Option C: Win the Superbowl every season undefeated including the preseason. 23-0 each season since 2000. That's a 17 time super bowl Champion. 323-0(not including preseason).

I mean it's hypothetical, why would anyone settle for less in a hypothetical?o_O

No because losing in 07 specifically made the 14 and 16 one more special. Especially with the legacy of circus catches in Patriots Super Bowls. Also as good as perfect would have been and all that, I think that team gets acknowledged rightfully as one of the best teams ever despite the loss, the 28-3 comeback instantly becomes the greatest comeback in sports history next to down 3-0 in the 04 ALCS. That's mythic legendary everyone remembers where they were when it happened stuff. Who the hell remembers the 1972 Super Bowl?

we might be jumping the gun a bit here, we dont know what the rest of the decade brings...in 3 years we could be talking a 2nd round of 3/4, or maybe even 3 straight, and 4/5???

as others said, as time passes, (and w/ more SB wins in between) '07 becomes more bearable, and the ways in which we won both of the most recent SBs were just too magical, in 20 years maybe we're ok w/ trading either SB for the undefeated one, but right now, while we're still living in the glory of the greatest comeback ever, I'd have to agree I'll live w/ 18-1

That’s a tough question. Although 19-0 was the ultimate fantasy and heartbreak, SB49 and 51 were the two greatest experiences of my life as a sports fan. The games themselves were legendary and exhilirating, involving epic comebacks. Although it’s unfortunate that Moss, Welker, Seau, and Mankins didn’t get a ring, I love the “second wave” team so much, even moreso than the team from roughly 2001-09. It would be hard to live with a lot of players from the seco

The last two SBs have been so satisfying in the face of such hatred and jealousy endured over many years. I’ll just conclude with this: I feel like my appreciation and satisfaction is higher now than it would be had they won five SBs but not since 2011. The longevity factor is incredible. And of course, the horsesh1t trumped up scandals make the last two Super Bowls so much sweeter for redemption and FU reasons.

Last edited:
2016 ended the GOAT discussion. Of course it was a team effort but Brady leading his team back from a 25 points deficit just showed how clutch he is. Peak Aaron Rodgers couldn't do **** against that Atlanta team and Brady utterly destroyed them.

If The patriots won it in 2007, Brady could of retired then and nearly everybody would have claimed him the goat right then and there, just 8 years into his career

I like how things turned out. started out so high, then had some bumps only to come back. Some teams dont recover. This team did

Agreed, I think those losses in the middle gave us more of an appreciation for the victories that were to come later.

The only reason why it would be worth trading any Super Bowl win for another would be.......

1.) The immortality of a perfect season (2007) - can't mess with perfection / avoid embarrassment of losing final game (to a NY team of all teams)

2.) The players on the team - It would be cool if guys like Welker, Moss, and Mankins got to enjoy a Super Bowl victory.

Even with that being said, I'm fine with how things played out. While the two Super Bowl losses still sting, winning 5 out of 7 Super Bowls in which 6 of them were absolute nail biters that could have gone either way.........I'll consider myself a fortunate fan.

Short of just wining all of them, there's no beating how it played out IMO.

Losing to Eli twice is just kind of a joke now. I can't even get mad about it.

I'd swap out 2007 for any year other than 2001. 2011 can stay a loss, as it was the weakest of all the SB teams. If you're forcing me into a 2 for 2 package, I'd have to pass on the option.

I agree. Lots of guys on the 2007 team I'd want to see with a ring.

Also my Patriots obsession was near "insanity" level at that time so that would've brought me the most personal enjoyment, I think.

Nah, it feels like things turned out exactly right (almost like when you have kids and you aren't sure whether you want a boy or a girl, but when the baby comes, whichever it is, it turns out to be exactly what you wanted!). Feels like we had to go through the pain of 2007 (2011 was not as bad for me) to truly enjoy the highs of 2014 and 2016. I'm glad that Brady has had such a long run of success, and that he and the Pats have been able to book-end championships for his career. If we get another one, WOW.

Could I trade just 14 for 07? I would consider that trade for a while but
Would lean towards no. The 16 super bowl comeback after Brady's suspension was so impressive i dont think I would trade it. Plus 2 Superbowl wins after framegate. I would decline the trade.

Really tough call, but I'd trade 2016 for 2007. That one will hurt for as long as I like sports.

But that's just the answer to the question specifically. In reality, I really really enjoyed the last two and think they did so much to enhance the Brady, Belichick, Patriots lore.

If it weren't for stupid deflategate, then I would take 2007 and 2011. However given the situation I wouldn't change anything. Although we didn't finish the perfect season in 2007, it still has a unique place in history as the one 16-0 season. Given that, I will take the wins after deflategate and the fact that it stretches out our Super Bowl run also helps.

2014 meant so much considering what would happen the next few months.

I can't imagine what'd be like going through that saga after a SB loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes