SOURCE:Boston Herald

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: Jets
Sun
Sep 22nd
Right Now At PatsFans.com:
White Wash
It was a whitewash in Miami as the Patriots defense rocked the Dolphins and New England improved to 2-0 on the season.

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

Are SB49 and SB51 the greatest rushes of sports euphoria you've experienced?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Ice_Ice_Brady, Aug 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ice_Ice_Brady

Ice_Ice_Brady PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +21,936
    ---
    To me, I think the odds are against ever having another experience like either game again. That they happened just two years apart is really amazing.

I was a huge Red Sox fan (now I no longer watch baseball, probably due to the Patriots ruining it for me by making it seem so boring) back in 2004 and was on cloud 9 when they came back from a 3-0 deficit to beat the Yankees. I thought at the time that I had likely reached my pinnacle of a roller coaster, emotional victory topped off with a primal scream of pure joy. But that actually had nothing on these last two Super Bowls.

I'd wager that even if the Patriots had won SB42 by a comfortable margin, my euphoria still would not have been at the levels of 49 and 51. It wasn't necessarily about the actual historical accomplishment (although that certainly helped) but about the game itself. All in a 3-4 hour span, experiencing the absolute lows and thrilling highs, a total roller coaster of emotions.

In some ways the two SB losses to the Giants served to increase the total excitement in the end, as the suppressed joy, and the realization that this wouldn't necessarily be a fairy tale ending, the long, painful memories of these losses, reminded me of what was at stake in the Super Bowl.

In both SB49 and SB51, there were points in the game when I had truly, completely accepted defeat. I wasn't even upset at the team in the way i was against the Giants - where I thought they didn't play to their potential - I had just become totally resigned the the very, very strong possibility they had just lost to a team who was capable of playing at a higher level than them.

In SB49, it was the whole context of Deflategate, the idea that Brady would be buried in history as "won 3 before Spygate, lost 3 after Spygate" an ultimate unjust yet simplistically perfect snapshot of the Patriots dynasty. It would be impossible to argue Brady, BB, or the Patriots dynasty as the GOAT with three consecutive SB losses. The game itself was probably the best Super Bowl I have ever witnessed, but I really thought it was over when they were down 10 and failed to move the ball in the fourth quarter. Then of course the absolutely ridiculous lucky catch by Kearse on the sidelines was probably the worst moment of my life as a sports fan (that or Burress's TD). For my worst moment as a sports fan and greatest moment (Butler's INT) as a sports fan to be minutes apart is an experience that I don't think many people will ever know.

In SB51, I probably don't need to get into as much detail. It was something I doubt will happen again in the NFL in my lifetime. In some ways, it was just the absolute perfect game, almost scripted. Before the game, virtually every pundit said that if the Patriots won, Brady would go down as the GOAT, and for his ascension to the throne to ALSO be a game that will live on forever, a game which in itself may have been the greatest comeback of all-time...wow, we are so lucky.

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. patriot1136

patriot1136 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +1,527
    ---
    SB51 will live on forever. Nothing like that will ever happen again in the history of sports. You will never see another comeback like that.

• Agree Agree x 15
    • Like Like x 1
  3. PatsDeb

PatsDeb PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +8,810
    ---
    They are both up there, but I think 2001 still takes the cake for me. I had the good fortune of being at both 36 and 49 (home for 51). I literally cried tears of joy when they won 36. I just screamed (for 30 seconds straight) when Butler made the interception at the end of 49. That was the ultimate of going from absolute bottom to absolute top in 5 seconds flat. At the end of 51 I was just numb. I couldn't believe it.

• Like Like x 10
    • Agree Agree x 8
    • Winner Winner x 2
  4. Brady_Moss

Brady_Moss On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +402
    ---
    YES!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. One-Be-Lo

One-Be-Lo PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +4,976
    ---
    For me it's tough to beat the overall amazingly unexpected nature of 01.

For just one moment of sports euphoria, easy.. Definitely Butler.

The 04/07/13 Sox, 08 Cs, 10 Bruins were all great, memorable experiences, but Pats are tops in my book so they rank higher.

49, after years of bullsh*t was pretty much on par with the sweetness of 01 though.

51 was just ridiculously sweet icing on the cake IMO.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. BelichickFan

BelichickFan TB12, BB = G.O.A.T.s PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +8,481
    ---
    49 was more of a shock than a euphoria. 51,yes, once the comeback was on the slower build to when James White went in would be more of what I would consider euphoria as opposed to a state of shock.

7. BlacknGold77

BlacknGold77 On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +466
    ---
    for the Pats, SB36 is still the best. The complete disbelief that they actually won teh freaking Superbowl and euphoria when it finally hit me.

the 04 Sox are the same thing...I still find myself thinking Foulke had to have booted that comebacker and they went on the blow it somehow. that one will never fade.

personally, the 2011 Bruins are the tops. The ride that is the Stanley Cup Playoffs is unmatched. All 4 series had crazy story lines, unbelievable plays and nail biting moments. I yelled like a kid when Marchand potted the empty netter in game 7. Legit teared up over that one.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. JJR4884

JJR4884 Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +169
    ---
    SB 49 > SB 51... hell i'll even say SB 36 was > SB 51, and I'll explain why.

SB 51 was a very slow death, and then, a gradual return to life. Although we scored 25 points in the last measly 20 min of regulation, that is still a fair bit of time with some setbacks (onside kick, JJ crazy reception) that made the process of the comeback dreadful. Don't get me wrong, the greatest comeback in history, but most Patriots fans spent the entire game doubtful, disappointed, or not really expecting to win. The tale of this SB is that the Patriots beat themselves in the 1st half, and then the Falcons beat themselves in the 2nd half.

SB 49 - competitive the entire game, Multiple changes in the lead, offense and defense for both teams were very intense. Just a great match-up of 2 teams beating the sh** out of each other. The interception at the end was just as unlikely to happen as the SB 51 comeback, but, that turn in events legit happened in the last 20 sec of the game, where as the SB 51 comeback took some time.

The amount of excitement that took place after the Butler interception was by far the most exciting experience i can think of. The amount of numbing disbelief i had when we finally beat the Falcons in OT is a more accurate way to depict emotions. Just can't really compare the two games, they are literally polar opposites of each other.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  9. neali

neali PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +717
    ---
    If what actually happened in Superbowl LI was a work of fiction, it would have been derided as absurd.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. patchick

patchick Moderatrix Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13,565
    ---
    Butler's interception was #1 for me, because it was a single incredible moment -- the instantaneous flip from despair to euphoria. And the feeling in the room full of fans going berserk!

51 was an unbelievable achievement for the team, but a little too much of a long, drawn-out heart attack for this fan. :)

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. bormio

bormio In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6,071
    ---
    Sorry, but the '04 Sox will always be #1. Having lived through '75, '78, '86 and '03. Those 4 days were like a weird religious experience.

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Florida Man PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +48,935
    ---
    Me after Super Bowl 49...

[​IMG]

Me after Super Bowl 51...

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 12
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Palm Beach Pats Fan

Palm Beach Pats Fan Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +15,972
    ---
    They seemed to be very different emotional experiences, for me.

SB49 had the instant, despair-to-glory, one second turn-around (the INT). That was a loud scream, jump-up-and-down, celebrate moment.

SB51 had the same turn-around in emotions, but it was spread out over the course of about an hour in real time, rather than 1 second.

In some ways SB51 was more enjoyable, because at least after Hightower's strip-sack, the result seemed at once both unbelievable and yet almost certain to happen. It didn't contain any scream, jump-up-and-down, celebrate moments, for me anyway. You might think it would, with Edelman's catch, Amendola's 2-pt conversion, and White's winning TD... maybe because each one of them had to be confirmed by replay, the delay kept me from going crazy! While with Malcolm's INT, there was no doubt.

So for me SB51 was less of a joyous stunner and more of a long buildup of "the Pats are gonna do it... just look! " with a strut-around the room feeling, all-the-while looking for people to high-5. SB49 was an "OMG, did that just happen?" feeling.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Ivan

Ivan Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +23,750
    ---
    36/49/51

All 3 were special for different reasons.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. Jackson 2

Jackson 2 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +14,226
    ---
    2001 SB. Red Sox 04. 84 Celtics championship series with LA. 67 Red Sox pennant winner to beat the Twins on the last day of the season ( I was there as a college sophomore which shows how ancient I am.). Celts beating the Lakers in LA game 7 in 69 f####### up Jack Kent Cooke's balloon fest. Every SB we've won. Absurdly spectacular area (NE) to have been a sports fan. Unbelievably fortunate fanbase.

• Like Like x 4
  16. BadMoFo

BadMoFo Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +2,367
    ---
    I think the first one in 2001. This last one was more of a roller coaster, pretty unbelievable.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Bruins29

Bruins29 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +9,315
    ---
    '01 was pretty special considering what the whole country was going though at that time. '14 was such a relief after so many years of crap....It was really amazing.

This last superbowl?? You know, as much as I want to put 01' as the most amazing there is something about taking the 2 years of deflate gate ******** and shoving it in everyone's face.

I think you cant overlook the importance of this last superbowl because it killed all of the haters. If they had not won it would have been fuel for the cheating fire. It also cemented TB's legacy. It was a big moment.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. irishfanatic

irishfanatic Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +1,232
    ---
    Did the Pats win a Super bowl ? I must have fallen asleep after we lost to Packers :confused:.
    Did I miss much?? ;);):D:D

P.S. Old Irish saying " Happy as a pig in ****e" . Will TB40 ever stop making me feel so feckin euphoric?

Blitz for 6 Pats Fans

19. Patjew

Patjew PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +9,526
    ---
    Agree completely. 49 and 51 were amazing but nothing could ever top 36.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. patsinthesnow

patsinthesnow PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13,507
    ---
    To add to the list of moments, did Cundiff's shank get anyone else good?

It was a chip shot kick with barely any time left so you're mentally preparing for OT. Al of a sudden "HE HOOKED IT".

We went from losing the game (Moore breaks up pass to Evans) to entering OT to winning the AFC Championship in about a minute.

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.