PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Super Bowl Wins in 49 & 51 more impressive than 36, 38 & 39 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO SB49 was the most important win in Brady and BB's careers. It broke the ten-year drought, firmly cemented Brady and Belichick's legacies, and it also defied the entire ballghazi hooplah at the time. The conversation overnight went from "Durr did Brady deflate deh balls" to "Is Brady the GOAT?" With many pundits saying "Yes". Imagine if they had lost? The entire deflated BS would have been a whole lot worse. A lot worse.

Honestly, just the fact that A) Brady ended up playing as well as he did, and B) Belichick handled the media storm so masterfully... considering everything that went on in the two weeks leading up to the game, makes it tops for me.

But I also think it was just flat-out the best quality game of the lot. Like someone else said, as good of a football game as you can see in today's game. Super Bowl LI is incredible because of how insurmountable the odds were that they overcame--but Super Bowl 49 was the better game overall. IMO.

It's amazing how quickly it feels like 18 years have gone by.

If you were to have said back in October 2001 that, come January of 2018, the Patriots will be lining up for their sixth Super Bowl win as part of an unprecedented run of success and that Brady and Belichick were still be around and be the GOATs, well .... people would have laughed at you.

I mean, even Pete Sheppard would have laughed.

When Adam kicked that field goal I jumped off my couch, jumping up and down like a madman. My elementary school age daughters initially did the same, joining in the celebration. They then had this scared look in their eyes and backed away a bit because I was becoming so hysterically euphoric, as they had never seen anything remotely close to that from me before in their lives.

Back to the bolded part above: they are both now full grown adults in every sense of that term.

Yes, it is amazing just how quickly these 18 fantastic years have flown by.

51 was legendary but it's sort of more enjoyable as an accomplishment than it is as a watchable game. You can basically start watching at the second half.

49 was a great game to watch throughout and had a great ending. Just need to make sure Collinsworth never announces another game.

36 was just an amazing run. The whole season was improbable. If anyone remembers the atmosphere after 9/11 with a team called the Patriots doing the impossible it was a feel good story for the whole country. That was back before everyone hated them lol.

There's been a lot of SB blowouts. Not only have we watched this team win five Super Bowls but we've seen them win 4 of the best and probably have the two best games of all time. Maybe 3. Unfortunately 4 because the 07 team will be among the best also. If you want a good game watch the Pats.

In 2003 it was NE 14, CAR 10 in the fourth quarter. A defensive battle as expected.

-Then NE scores a TD. 21-10
-The Carolina scores a TD and fails the 2pt conversion. 21-16
-Brady gets drives to the 9 and gets intercepted.
-Carolina throws an 85 yard bomb and scores a TD and fails the conversion. 21-22, 7 minutes left.
- a 68 yard drive ends with a TD pass to a linebacker. Then 2 point conversion. 29-22, 2:55 left.
- Carolina marches 80 yards and score a TD to tie (if only they hadn't tried those 2 point conversions.) 29-29
-1:08 left and Brady drives down. But with 14 seconds left they still aren't in FG range @58 yards from where they are. Facing a 3rd and 3 with one TO Brady throws 17 yards to Branch. Timeout at 9 seconds and a 41 yarder by Vinatieri.

^^
That SB would be legend for any other fan base. Here most call it our 4th best SB.

SB36 arguably changed the course of an entire city's sports teams. It is rarely mentioned but that game was sort of the biggest Super Bowl comeback at the time. No team had ever blown a 14 point lead in a Super Bowl. That Patriots team had a 14 point lead with 10 minutes to go and blew the lead - but then on the next drive won the game.

SB36 arguably changed the course of an entire city's sports teams. It is rarely mentioned but that game was sort of the biggest Super Bowl comeback at the time. No team had ever blown a 14 point lead in a Super Bowl. That Patriots team had a 14 point lead with 10 minutes to go and blew the lead - but then on the next drive won the game.

Imagine what they'd say about that game now.

The defense sucks
They "almost lost"
Pitchers and Catchers
McGinest is a choke artist (holding call)
They "almost lost"
Belichick got lucky, should have taken a knee
They "almost lost, Mike! They're not afraid to play you!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes