PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Super Bowl Wins in 49 & 51 more impressive than 36, 38 & 39 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scott99

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
I feel the wins in the last 2 SB wins, are much more impressive than the first 3 wins.

The most impressive things of the last 2 SB's are, the Pats had to make very large 4th Qtr comebacks, one against the best defense in the NFL (some have called that defense legendary) and the other holding the highest scoring offense in the NFL to 0 points in the 4th quarter, and 7 points in the second half ! Also, the Pats lost the turnover battle in both games. I wonder what the stats are for teams losing the turnover battle yet still winnng the Super Bowl, I would bet you can count them with one hand.

I'd say the only other Pat's SB that may come close to being as impressive as the last two, is the 1st win, considering how much of an underdog the Pats were. But the Pats won the turnover battle AND held the lead for 90% of the game.

What are your thoughts ?

IMO, the only truly easy Super Bowl was 39 vs the Eagles.

The Pats D was spent in SB36 and the Stl offense was getting revved up. SB38 the Pats had to comeback to win kicking the 3 with 4 seconds left. Carolina had just score 2 TDs in the 4th quarter.

SB39 NE had a 10 point lead with 8:41 to go. The Eagles did not score a TD until 1:48 to go burning up almost 7 minutes down by 2 scores. Typical Andy Reid play calling and clock management. McNabb threw 3 INTS and the Eagles lost 1 fumble. The Eagles never looked sharp to me.

To me the most impressive was Super Bowl 36.

The Patriots were 14 point underdogs, coming off a 5-11 season.

There was a full blown quarterback controversy, with the head coach being mocked and second guessed for electing to go with the QB with no previous NFL starting experience.

Two of the 'best' players from the previous year (Bledsoe, Terry Glenn) were essentially done by mid-September; at the time it was not unreasonable to believe the Pats would win no more than three games that season.

With all the castoffs that other teams no longer wanted, there were plenty of questions about how good the defense really was - and how they could possibly keep the Rams in check.

The opponent was a seemingly invincible team, considered to be unstoppable.

Many Patriot fans were simply hoping the Pats could keep the game close, fearing an embarrassment that would be worse than the Super Bowl 16 years earlier against the Bears.

I don't think we have the context to answer this question yet.

The '01 - '04 teams are the classic rock era of Belichick's Patriots. Those teams had HOF names. They toppled juggernauts like St. Louis, Indy and Pittsburgh. They had the first legendary moments. That era will be the favorite for many fans for the rest of their lives.

What remains to be seen is what the next few years hold. If the 2017 Patriots can win the Super Bowl, then they will match the older group with 3 titles in 4 years. What if they win two more? What if the young core of the team wins a title with Jimmy G, or Brisset, or someone else? There is too much script left to play out.

For me, the 2004 team is the gold standard, but the moments of SB51 are unlikely to ever be topped.

In 3 SBs the offense was playing great at the end - 38, 49 and 51. In the last 2 the defense was playing great at the end. Special teams were excellent in 51 (aside from XP miss). I think 51 was the most impressive overall - the most complete team effort.

The 2001 - 2004 teams played in almost a different era of football. Size and strength were at a premium as the league had yet to succumb to Polian's whining. If you could stop the run back then you really had a big advantage and the Pats team was built around that premise.

The Super Bowl 51 game was probably a more impressive feat due to the crazy comeback but the 2003 and 2004 teams going on a stretch of 34-3 (starts after Bills game in 2003) and showing themselves as the class of the league throughout the playoffs and Superbowls (even though Panthers game was closer than it should have been)

The '01 - '04 teams are the classic rock era of Belichick's Patriots. Those teams had HOF names. They toppled juggernauts like St. Louis, Indy and Pittsburgh. They had the first legendary moments. That era will be the favorite for many fans for the rest of their lives.

What remains to be seen is what the next few years hold. If the 2017 Patriots can win the Super Bowl, then they will match the older group with 3 titles in 4 years. What if they win two more? What if the young core of the team wins a title with Jimmy G, or Brisset, or someone else? There is too much script left to play out.

For me, the 2004 team is the gold standard, but the moments of SB51 are unlikely to ever be topped.

I think that you might read again about 2001. Our win was one of the most unlikely in the history of the NFL.

Belichick's 3-5 year plan culminated in the 2003 and 2004 teams. The 2001 was an incredible bonus.

Impressive:

1a and 1b 2001 team and comeback vs Atlanta. Both are heads and shoulders above the others and it is tough to separate them for different reasons. SB36 stopped the Rams 'dynasty' despite Ricky Proehl's protestations and 25 point comebacks in 17 minutes doesn't happen in the NFL and certainly not in the Super Bowl..but it did..

3. SB49 and the comeback versus Seattle3. . It took a miracle pick (preparation pick) by Butler or this would be with SB 42 and 46 for heartbreaks but Brady picked apart a top 10 all time defense for 2 4th quarter TDs...

4 SB 38 vs Carolina was a shootout once they play the first 25 minutes and it was classic Brady comeback...

5 SB 39 vs Philly. Although a close game on the scoreboard, this one was never in doubt once Andy " I mangle a clock worse than Salvador Dali" Reid and McNabb took 7 minutes in their not so hutty up offense....

As improbable of comebacks 49 and 51 were, they were damn good teams. Even though that team clearly had talent, SB36 was improbable as was the entire season.

Last edited:
I have all 5 on DVD. I've watched 51 the most times followed by 36. Then 49, 38 and finally 39. So I guess that's the way I rank them for me personally.

1a. 36 - "Wow I can't believe they did it". "OMG, they F'ing won it" "Holy crap man they freaking won it" "Troy Brown is so damn clutch"

1b. 51 - " Take that you freaking corrupt piece of ****" "Roger that you freaking buffoon" "Who's the GOAT?" "Yeah that's what I thought"

1c. 49 - "Damn it, damn it, damn it" "Give me that whole bottle" "This sucks....they were so close" "OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG" "Did he get it??" "OMG OMG OMG" "Screw all of you ass wipes... shove that "they haven't won anything" BS right up your tailpipes"

4. 38 - "Man this is defensive battle" "Man this is an offensive laser show" "Who the f**k is Jake Delhomme ?" "Man he is lighting it up" but "it ain't over yet....not with that QB over there"

5. 39 - " Man, does anyone in Philly have a watch?" "I'm going to grab a beer while they're in the huddle" "Hey Tony grab me one too. They're still in the huddle" "Hey Tony, grab the whole case this drive looks like it's going to take awhile" "Hey Tony, they're in another huddle maybe you could run to KFC and grab a bucket"

I've always thought that in SB49, the Patriots and Seahawks each played about as well as a modern NFL team is capable of playing. Probably the best Super Bowl I've seen. I think that many recent conference champions would have been blown out by either team (oh wait, didn't the forehead already do that the previous year?). I have a ton of respect for the Seahawks players. I've never heard them ***** and moan or play the "cheating" card, whine about injuries (which were actually more legitimate than many other AFC crybabies), or bemoan that "the better team lost." I would love to see a rematch.

what HOFers (besides brady) were on the 01-04 teams?

As a reminder, before the 2001 season, the Sporting News judged the Patriots the least likely team to make the Super Bowl over the next five seasons.
During that period they finish with the best record in the division each year, won 58 games and 3 SBs in those 5 seasons.

Wow

Last edited:
I don't know if impressive is the right word. Maybe exciting. I'd consider a 52-0 victory more impressive than a 25-point comeback.

But that 2001 team was a heavy underdog. We were pretty big favourites in 51, and I'd say favoured in every other Super Bowl. So to me, 2001 was the most impressive. It was probably the least talented of the 5 teams too, at least on offense.

Though holy ****, listen to us comparing Super Bowls like fine wines. How spoiled we are... :D

For me, each and every Super Bowl victory was delicious! It is so hard to get there and win it that it never gets old.

36 was Cinderella. 38 was a second half slug fest. 39 was expected. 49 featured the greatest single defensive play in NFL history. It was liberating to finally be on top again. But 51 may stand forever as the greatest game ever played. I still cannot quite believe it.

My vote is 51, hands down! Here's hoping that this story has a few more chapters!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes