PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Goodell still upset about Patricia's clown shirt

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was never going to happen. The combination of logistics and finances made it pretty much impossible to pull off without the help of the Patriots, and the Patriots weren't going to be that blatant about hostilities towards Goodell.

"The full 32"
I don't why you think Portnoy or this kind of venture would NEED the help of the Pats. At most all it would need is them not hindering it. As for the cost, it would be a tax deductable cost of the T-shirts (say 100 grand vs the million dollar or better worth of publicity for Barstool. Opening day is usually one of the biggest audiences of the regular season.

Then think of all the play it would get over the next few weeks on the sports talk circuit. Even BSPN would have to acknowledge it. AND perhaps he can do the same thing at other stadiums. I'm sure Saint fans would embrace it.

Logistically most of the distribution could all be done in the parking lots, will there could be a few booths with a few thousand shirts that could be set up, with the shirts sold for $5, with all the money going to the Jimmy Fund, or the Ice bucket challenge or a myriad of other deserving charities.

BTW- If anyone has Portnoy's email I'd be happy to make an offer and see if he responds.

I don't why you think Portnoy or this kind of venture would NEED the help of the Pats.

No way to distribute, otherwise.

As for the cost, it would be a tax deductable cost of the T-shirts (say 100 grand vs the million dollar or better worth of publicity for Barstool. Opening day is usually one of the biggest audiences of the regular season.

I'm not sure how you think Barstool's going to be able to write this off as a tax deduction.

Then think of all the play it would get over the next few weeks on the sports talk circuit. Even BSPN would have to acknowledge it. AND perhaps he can do the same thing at other stadiums. I'm sure Saint fans would embrace it.

He'd be a moron to do it. Barstool is not just about the Patriots, and it's not just about Massachusetts.

Logistically most of the distribution could all be done in the parking lots, will there could be a few booths with a few thousand shirts that could be set up, with the shirts sold for $5, with all the money going to the Jimmy Fund, or the Ice bucket challenge or a myriad of other deserving charities.

BTW- If anyone has Portnoy's email I'd be happy to make an offer and see if he responds.

You'd have to do it at the gates, not in the lots. If you tried doing it in the lots, you'd miss too many people.

He'd be a moron to do it. Barstool is not just about the Patriots, and it's not just about Massachusetts.

But isn't that its main target? Didn't you see what they did during deflategate? They don't really give a crap about other teams/fans like they do the Pats.

But isn't that its main target? Didn't you see what they did during deflategate? They don't really give a crap about other teams/fans like they do the Pats.

Barstool just (January) doubled the size of their NY headquarters, inking a 5 year deal. They're going to have to expand their circle of "really give a crap" to cover that nut.

I'm thinking a plane with a banner telling Goodell what Pats fans think of him flying over the stadium on opening night would be better ...unless it is restricted no fly zone during the game......
In which case it could fly circles over the parking lot pregame..............

No way to distribute, otherwise.
I disagree. The bulk of distribution could be done in the parking lots.
Another idea would be to send them to all season ticket holders who would pay for shipping. ie email all season ticket holders an offer for a free clown shirt, and charge them whatever the shiping and handling costs are. ($5-7). What season ticket holder would turn that down.

I'm not sure how you think Barstool's going to be able to write this off as a tax .deduction..
This is not hard. Whatever the cost of this operation is (100K, 200K, whatever) is a loss against whatever revenues there are which lowers their tax liabilities. Again, compared with the value of the publicity to a national audience they'd get, it would be peanuts.

He'd be a moron to do it. Barstool is not just about the Patriots, and it's not just about Massachusetts..
Absolutely great point. There are a LOT of fans from other cities that doen't like Fraudger. Filling the stadium with clown shirts will most certainly stimulate sales of the shirt all over the country, an more than pay for the cost of the initial cost to fill Gillette with the shirts promo.

You'd have to do it at the gates, not in the lots. If you tried doing it in the lots, you'd miss too many people.
Not if everyone knew before hand that shirts would be available at each lot. I'm sure they'd find where in the lot they are being given out. You wouldn't miss too many people that way.

All that being said, I'm kind of liking the email idea and sending them through the season ticket holders and let the USPS 'distribute" them

I don't know...I'm not big on any large public displays of anger towards the Goon. What I'd like is getting up in the morning and reading the newspaper with a cup of coffee, and spotting a curious column like "well known executive found in alley unconscious with baseball bat nearby and face smeared with feces and urine..."...THAT would give me great personal satisfaction, knowing that he never saw it coming and would now have to deal with the unknown every day for the rest of his fetid existence.

I don't know...I'm not big on any large public displays of anger towards the Goon. What I'd like is getting up in the morning and reading the newspaper with a cup of coffee, and spotting a curious column like "well known executive found in alley unconscious with baseball bat nearby and face smeared with feces and urine..."...THAT would give me great personal satisfaction, knowing that he never saw it coming and would now have to deal with the unknown every day for the rest of his fetid existence.

Joker's T-shirt needs to look like this.

upload_2017-7-18_0-12-12.png

I disagree. The bulk of distribution could be done in the parking lots.
Another idea would be to send them to all season ticket holders who would pay for shipping. ie email all season ticket holders an offer for a free clown shirt, and charge them whatever the shiping and handling costs are. ($5-7). What season ticket holder would turn that down.

This is not hard. Whatever the cost of this operation is (100K, 200K, whatever) is a loss against whatever revenues there are which lowers their tax liabilities. Again, compared with the value of the publicity to a national audience they'd get, it would be peanuts.

Absolutely great point. There are a LOT of fans from other cities that doen't like Fraudger. Filling the stadium with clown shirts will most certainly stimulate sales of the shirt all over the country, an more than pay for the cost of the initial cost to fill Gillette with the shirts promo.

Not if everyone knew before hand that shirts would be available at each lot. I'm sure they'd find where in the lot they are being given out. You wouldn't miss too many people that way.

All that being said, I'm kind of liking the email idea and sending them through the season ticket holders and let the USPS 'distribute" them

One obvious example of a problem is that handing out the shirts in parking lots would lead to lots of people taking more than one shirt, and lost of people not getting any shirts, and that's if the Patriots would even let you attempt it). This isn't going to happen, though, so it's not really worth continuing this. Feel free to talk it out with Ian, though, as he went at least a little bit down the road with his plan.

Last edited:
I'd like to see these in the gift shop:

A5OiqRU.png

One obvious example of a problem is that handing out the shirts in parking lots would lead to lots of people taking more than one shirt, and lost of people not getting any shirts, and that's if the Patriots would even let you attempt it). This isn't going to happen, though, so it's not really worth continuing this. Feel free to talk it out with Ian, though, as he went at least a little bit down the road with his plan.
I think you could get enough participation by handing them out in the parking lots that it would be a success. I mean even if you taped them to the seats 100% wouldn't wear them. But if you had 50-75% wearing them it would stand out.

But as you bring up the biggest issue is the patriots allowing it, or actually looking the other way. i think the biggest issue is someone investing or donating the cost without the certainty that they won't be kicked out of the lots.

You could also set up the booths along route 1 that are selling merch to "sell these for free".

I think if the problem of obtaining them was solved distributing them could be successful enough to make a statement even if it's far from 100% participation.

easily the worst thing that could happen would be Kraft mobilizing his security to take them away. He would be dead to me, and many fans if he pulled that and I would not put it past him.

Too much hand-wringing ******** about these damned shirts.

Get the shirt. Get as many as you can afford. Hand them out to people at the game. Flood the place with these damned shirts. Make the mean color at that place tarheel blue (it KILLS me inside to say that, because GO DUKE, so hopefully you understand I, too, am making a sacrifice).

Stop fretting about it.

It pisses off Goodell, so it has to be an unqualified good. It's like you are fretting about giving a homeless starving child a cup of fresh cool water and a piece of bread. Just do it and stop being a bunch of ninnies.

If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball. Do I have to draw you a picture?

Too much hand-wringing ******** about these damned shirts.

Get the shirt. Get as many as you can afford. Hand them out to people at the game. Flood the place with these damned shirts. Make the mean color at that place tarheel blue (it KILLS me inside to say that, because GO DUKE, so hopefully you understand I, too, am making a sacrifice).

Stop fretting about it.

It pisses off Goodell, so it has to be an unqualified good. It's like you are fretting about giving a homeless starving child a cup of fresh cool water and a piece of bread. Just do it and stop being a bunch of ninnies.

If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball. Do I have to draw you a picture?
I love the idea, but I'm afraid there would be about 5-10 thousand shirts, with about 60,000 "other" fans who just don't get it, don't care enough about it, or simply won't have access to enough shirts.

It would have to be a widespread effort that is probably a bit unrealistic. Hope I'm wrong, because I'd love to see it.

I love the understated nuance of the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes