PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Future Extension for Cooks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or not and you are just a clown.

Hmm, nothing's worse than a homer who can't see the truth when it's right in front of his face.

Maybe you can explain what Cooks is doing in this video of the Brady/McDaniels confrontation.

Check out from 2:06-2:14 and tell me again how brave he is.

The only thing you've demonstrated here is that you know **** about football.

One final word from me on cooks.

It is not about stats. He has stats. It is not about speed. He has speed.

It is about what kind of receiver cooks is and is not. It is about bb designing plays that fit in cook’s wheelhouse and not asking him to run parts of the route tree that he does not have the courage to run.

As long as we are honest about what cooks is and what he is not, then everything is good.

Bottom line: he is a very good receiver but he operates with a limited playbook.

Hmm, nothing's worse than a homer who can't see the truth when it's right in front of his face.

Just goes to show you have clue what you are talking about.

I have been saying since the Tampa game that I am not overly optimistic about a Cooks extension at market value given what he has shown so far. The difference between our two opinions is, one comes from hot take land ("is soft", "alligator arms", "afraid to go over the middle") the other is more informed and deals with football related issues.

Be less Felger and try to actually scratch below the surface..

Last edited:
One final word from me on cooks.

It is not about stats. He has stats. It is not about speed. He has speed.

It is about what kind of receiver cooks is and is not. It is about bb designing plays that fit in cook’s wheelhouse and not asking him to run parts of the route tree that he does not have the courage to run.

As long as we are honest about what cooks is and what he is not, then everything is good.

Bottom line: he is a very good receiver but he operates with a limited playbook.
Fair enough analysis to some degree, but we don’t have any idea as to how much he may grow in his second year in this system, so that’s the important question.

We can assume that some of his responsibilities may have changed on the fly only days before the season started when Edelman got hurt. Also, for a first year WR in the system, he was one of only 13 WRs in the league who topped 1000 yards, so even in a more limited role he seemed to do much better than most of any other first year Patriot receivers.

It’s quite possible that he is fed some more information/routes during the offseason, and that he shows a bit more of a polished look by the time the end of the summer comes. That’s what we’re waiting to find out. Attempting to assess him after only one year here is pointless, particularly when the WR1 and WR3 missed the entire year and the WR2 missed half the year. I think we can safely assume that Cooks’ role may have been slightly altered.

Fair enough analysis to some degree, but we don’t have any idea as to how much he may grow in his second year in this system, so that’s the important question.

We can assume that some of his responsibilities may have changed on the fly only days before the season started when Edelman got hurt. Also, for a first year WR in the system, he was one of only 13 WRs in the league who topped 1000 yards, so even in a more limited role he seemed to do much better than most of any other first year Patriot receivers.

It’s quite possible that he is fed some more information/routes during the offseason, and that he shows a bit more of a polished look by the time the end of the summer comes. That’s what we’re waiting to find out. Attempting to assess him after only one year here is pointless, particularly when the WR1 and WR3 missed the entire year and the WR2 missed half the year. I think we can safely assume that Cooks’ role may have been slightly altered.

He is coming from a glorified WC offense (although it's not quite run out of the I, and features shotgun more often than not). And he's had to transition into an EP concept offense which is impossible to soak up in the course of just one season.

The biggest weakness in his game is not having eyes in the back of his head which really hurts when you're trying to see the field the same way as Brady is. I'm hoping that's a talent Cooks could work on acquiring/developing. Welker was an absolute natural when it came to sensing space, and I think we've all been spoiled by his instant productivity and have been measuring WR's by his standards without understanding that there's likely never going to be another Wes Welker, ever. Edelman has the uncanny ability not just to gain instant separation, but to sniff out open space before it even develops.

Even Hogan is just "getting it" now- his TD in the last game was the product of him sensing the same space as Brady did. See:

Best case scenario: Brandie signs with another team in 2019 and the Pats get a comp pick for him. At least they'd get two years plus the Saints 4th from the trade and a comp pick TBD for the 1st and 3rd they gave up.

They can't expect every team to cover him one on one with a rookie safety like the Raiders did.

I think Cooks fits in well with a team that is loaded with receivers, primarily with his speed. Make him the go to guy and not so much. I hope he stays but he isn't going to become paid like a top ten receiver.. Look what the Lions found in the 3rd round, Golloday..There are plenty more

I think Cooks fits in well with a team that is loaded with receivers, primarily with his speed. Make him the go to guy and not so much. I hope he stays but he isn't going to become paid like a top ten receiver.. Look what the Lions found in the 3rd round, Golloday..There are plenty more

Unless he takes number two receiver money I wouldn't like the deal. That said if he walks after 2 years I wouldn't like the trade. I just hope another year in the system and having a (healthy) Edelman back and Gronk lets him be what they envisioned him being.

Belichick isn't blind, he knows Brandie doesn't play with the heart of a real Patriot type of football player so he won't overpay him.

Unless he takes number two receiver money I wouldn't like the deal. That said if he walks after 2 years I wouldn't like the trade. I just hope another year in the system and having a (healthy) Edelman back and Gronk lets him be what they envisioned him being.

Giving up the first sounded a lot better at first but you can't justify pay him top money after seeing the faults in his game.

Is Cook more like Lloyd or Moss. Clearly the team thinks that he more like Moss or his option wouldn't have been picked up. Belichick is paying for more than a mediocre receiver for 2017, and for 2018. And he is getting more.

Is Cook more like Lloyd or Moss. Clearly the team thinks that he more like Moss or his option wouldn't have been picked up. Belichick is paying for more than a mediocre receiver for 2017, and for 2018. And he is getting more.

No sane person would not pick up the option on a player they traded a 1st rounder for.

Who said mediocre? He’s not great but he’s better than average. Just not worth number 1 receiver money.

Who said mediocre? He’s not great but he’s better than average. Just not worth number 1 receiver money.

I don’t even think he’s the best wr in our team. Edelman would be #1 if he didn’t get hurt, and I think Hogan is above him. In terms of pass catchers he maybe 4th or 5th, with Gronk and a rb possible. And you are right most of us have said he’s not a bad receiver. He’s actually really good. But this thread is about an extension and most of us agree he’s not worth #1 contract, yet. Let’s see how really good he is next year after a year in the system.

If we're "honest", that is merely the snapshot of Cooks from this season. We really don't know for a fact what he may yet become, do we?
If we are indeed honest with ourselves, then we actually do know for a fact what he will become on Sunday, and that is: of very little use.

Cracks me up they way folks casually continue to throw around the terms "#1WR", "#2WR", "#nWR" as if there's some specific definition for those terms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots